Forum attachments

Digger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Scenario is I am re-advertising in classifieds and want to use same attachment jpgs that I used in my original ad. I cannot upload them again as message says that there is a duplicate on another thread - my earlier ad that is now "closed". Because its closed (I assume) thats why I cannot go and delete those pics form the server EDIT maybe its cos editing rights are disabled for Classifieds so cant delete attachments. So either have to upload same again but renamed, or host them online.
Why can i not use original attachments on the server and "attach" to my new advert? or can i?

[/grumble]

Go to 'My Settings' and click 'Attachments' at the bottom left. From their you can delete your old attachment.

There is no option to delete them as they are attachments from classifieds ads and assume that as editing rights are disabled you dont get the option to delete them. I CAN delete attachments from the list fom posts in other forums, just not classifieds :rolleyes: hohum so it seems will have to waste server space by uploading renamed duplicates!

Conniving server!!! Recognises file attachment even though I renamed it :rolleyes: Will have to go and take new pics now. . .grrr!

Ignore me just venting frustration :suicide:

Conniving server!!! Recognises file attachment even though I renamed it :rolleyes: Will have to go and take new pics now. . .grrr!

Ignore me just venting frustration :suicide:
Re size the pictures and crop them a bit that should work.

Can't one of the mods help you out by deleting the previous file from the server so you can upload it again??

I know this has been solved, but just wondering doesn't the forum give an attachment id for the upload image (like IPB)? So you can just use that attachment id for using the same uploaded image all over the place - instead of re-uploading the image.

I know this has been solved, but just wondering doesn't the forum give an attachment id for the upload image (like IPB)? So you can just use that attachment id for using the same uploaded image all over the place - instead of re-uploading the image.
How would that work in practise? I tried and failed by trying to upload the link to the attachment already on the server including the id bits, and needless to say it fell over.
EDIT AFAIK this is the only way round it but I'd prefer to have a thumbnail which uploading attachments allows

attachment.php

How would that work in practise? I tried and failed by trying to upload the link to the attachment already on the server including the id bits, and needless to say it fell over.
3 threads.

Thread A, Thread B, Thread C.

I upload a image in Thread B. The forum software (IPB does this, not sure if this forum software does) gives this image an attachment id (ie [attachment id=445])once uploaded.

I find myself wanting to use the same image in Threads A & C. Instead of re-uploading that image to the forum DB again, all I do is use the attachment id.

Got a link to your original thread? You could use the thumbnail image and make it clickable to display the image in the edited post.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom