1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Advice...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Cat, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    while I'm very grateful for the advice I've received on this (and other) Forums - it's obviously that you're going to have to demo / test things yourself...

one classic example, I have asked on here and other forums the best way to connect my sub to my seteo amp as previously I'd been using just a phono lead...this worked ok, but was better when I plugged it into my AV amp for watching movies...not a fair few people said that using the phono lead with a stereo amp is the way to go...since I've moved house I had some time to mess around (plus the fact I haven't got a AV system up and running, just my stereo) and I used some old Gale XL315 speaker cables to connect my stereo amp to my sub and the result is astounding! :eek:

I couldn't believe the difference, it's much fuller...
    the first test I done was to unplug my main speakers and just plug in the subs using the different cables - the difference there was massive, then when I plugged my main speaker back it - the system really sung...

:clap:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    My experience is that how you connect equipment like this up is very equipment dependent. This leads onto differences in how conveniently you want everything setup so that other people can use it with the minimum of hassle and what you perceive as a better sound.

It seems like you'll have to start giving and adding to the advice now rather than just receiving it! :)

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, you can't beat 1st hand experience! :)

I think you are talking about two fundamentally different ways of connecting the sub of course.

The phono output is "low gain" ie unamplified.

The speaker output is "high gain" ie already amplified - hence you don't need the amp on the sub to do much work - if at all.

It may be just a volume thing?

With your AV amp the phono out is usually the best option.

With the stereo amp I too connect it to the sub via high gain and it seems to work fine. If you have pre-amp outs on your stereo amp that is also an option, but I don't do this because it means swapping phonos all the time.

...PJ

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, think I'll invest in some spade connectors - so that when I watch movies - I can use the phono connector, and when I listen to music I can use the speaker cables - using this sub doesn't let you have all of the cables plugged in at the same time...think you can with some velodynes tho..!

but I just need to get a new centre speaker before I get the AV up and running again...