Fortnite (battle royale)

Discussion in 'PS4 Games' started by BenRC, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Can't believe there's no thread for this (or am I blind?)
    Its sooo much fun I've actually ditched destiny for 3 days straight lol.
    Anyone else playing?

2. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Just downloaded it now after watching a few YouTube vids of it last night! Squads looks good as 4 of you can play together!

3. Kinetic Frenzy

Kinetic Frenzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I usually play a handful of solo matches each day with varied results. It's good fun and definitely worthwhile however i think personally i would prefer to be playing PUBG.

As an aside, i reckon if ever i hope to win a game i will have to get lucky and actually land in the final zone with the rocket launcher and a rifle and a medkit and a shield potion and hide like a chameleon until there is only one other person left.... and then wait for the storm to kill them! :D

4. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Won twice now, think you get an umbrella for a glider as since I've won I have a wierd metal umbrella.
    Im sure pubg is better but this is free!
    Never played pubg so can't comment but it feels so fresh after years of cod like shooters. Being able to build a fortress is inspired, I love making houses into my own personal maze like bunker and luring people in with dropped loot lol, so many tactics to try out and so tense!
    genuinely the most fun I've had in a competitive shooter for years.

5. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
  6. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Played 5/6 games of this last night, loved it. Few games i was killed within 2 mins as i couldn't find a weapon but the others we're great fun.

Managed to come 13th in one game with 3 kills. Watched until the end and the player who won killed the last player from the out of bounds area which i thought was a bit harsh!!

Does the storm not kill you when you're in it then?

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    Only dudes I can kill in this are folk at the start who don't have guns yet, blasted two with the shotgun who were happily building away totally oblivious. Most of the time I'm dead before I've found a gun tbh. Best I could manage was 15th just from randomly bumbling around.

8. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I always jump right at the end and head for a shack rather than a town as there's always people there. Get a couple of guns and some mats then stick to the edge of the storm as it closes in. By the time I see anybody there's usually about 20 left.
    Always build a fort too, convert a house into a death trap lol and wait it out. Always get someone nosing around and shotgun them from the 2nd floor.

9. Kingster IOM

Kingster IOM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    My son and I play this a lot.

Started off as a team, but as I'm 50 and he's 13, his reflexes are much much quicker. So now I'm his spotter and tactical adviser. He plays and I watch and keep an eye on the horizon for danger.

I also reign in his youthful wish to run around and rush in.

We (well he) actually tends to make the top 10 most of the time, and has a few wins.

I really like it, but he thinks he'll prefer PUBG (he's played it once on a PC).

Loads of fun, and we tend to watch to the end of the match unless we (he) is out early.

The Mist doesn't kill you outright, it just sucks your health so if you stay in it, you will die.

10. BenRC

BenRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    My 6yr old daughter loves to spot for me too, cartoon style helps. Really can't fault it as a freebie.

11. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +689
    this is great and free

12. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,655
    our eldest says its great so I will get it today

13. onezeon

onezeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    Played a few rounds and it’s good but really needs some sort of rewards for top 10,top 5 etc

Even just some customisation rewards would help.
    ATM even if you win all you get is a different parachute that no one cares about

14. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    I’ve played about 12 games so far and not once have I picked up a gun with a scope or sniper rifle!

Spectated someone last night who killed me and he had a sniper rifle, he got some great kills with it.

15. Kingster IOM

Kingster IOM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Supply drops are coming in this week it said on one of the loading screens.

We tend to go to the same places as we know where the chests are, but it is very hit and miss what weapons you get. You really need one long range and one short range minimum.

If you stay out of peoples way, as the map gets small you do run in to lots of equipment as those before simply can't carry more

16. StevePSIV

StevePSIV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    I've had a few games of this of the last couple of nights and really enjoyed it! Gets really tense when you spot another group and try and sneak up on them while someone else is probably doing the same to you.

Would be good to party with a few regulars from here if enough people are playing it regularly.

I still need to get used to the controls. Mainly the building element because when I've watched some of the better players playing this game then they're always building mini structures that they can peek above to kill people..

17. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,232
    I watched my lad play last night, he had varying degrees of success, but the best run he had (11th I think), he managed to bag a sniper rifle and he used it to good effect. Looks a fun freebie, how do you unlock characters? He seemed to be stuck with one option last night..

18. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    I don't think you can, i just think it's random which character you are when you join the server.

@StevePSIV i'm definitely up for squading up if you're around, think it'd work well in a team.

19. StevePSIV

StevePSIV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    If you're not already on my friends list then I'll drop you a request later on.

20. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Already on your list mate...

21. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    Just spotted this, looks great fun - downloading now

22. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    3gb update out...

Just popped on for a few games! Got to wait an hour for it to update first :mad:

23. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Update release notes...

Battle Royale Updates - Duos, Supply Drops, and Weapon Accuracy

BATTLE ROYALE UPDATES - DUOS, SUPPLY DROPS, AND WEAPON ACCURACY

By The Fortnite Team
    Hi folks,

Wow, what a great response to Fortnite Battle Royale! Here’s an update.

DUOS
    Duos will release in most regions with this release. We want to make sure that adding a new playlist doesn't make the experience less enjoyable so stay tuned for more updates on the status of Duos in your region.

Bring a friend and let the duos begin!
    [​IMG]
    SUPPLY DROPS
    Supply Drops are back! ! We tried once, but couldn’t quite stick the landing. We fixed those issues and we’re excited for them to return.

Supply Drops are more likely to contain rare weapons and items that you want in a pinch. They’re also a hot zone for attention, so planning how to grab one is important. Watch the skies for those supplies.

[​IMG]
    WEAPON ACCURACY
    Almost all of our weapons are hitscan (Sniper Rifles are the exception). That means when you fire, there is no travel time and the target is hit instantaneously. We initially started with very high accuracy on our weapons. This often led to being shot by someone who you couldn’t see, making crossing open fields too risky. It led to more conservative play, and camping became dominant.
    It also didn’t differentiate the weapons well – if a Pistol can kill people at the same range as a Rifle, were there enough other differences? Engagement strategy is a key component of our combat (including building walls), and if you don’t have time to defensively respond to being shot, we lose out on what Fortnite’s building brings to the table.

Quickly after, we did some iterations with aggressive fall-off damage (as a lot of you have already suggested). There were three main concerns we had with this model:

1. It felt unnatural to hit a far-away target with a rifle but do far lower damage
    2. It was unclear at what distances your damage would be reduced
    3. It was still difficult to respond since you couldn’t see who was shooting at you
    As a result, we set a couple key goals with our combat:

• Goal #1 – Pistol sniping at long range should not be possible.
    • Goal #2 – Our weapons should have characteristics that encourage a wide range of engagements based on: distance to target, target type, ammo availability, etc.
    This meant using accuracy as a mechanic to force closer engagement distances. In most cases, this had the desired result: weapons very neatly grouped into different ranges.[​IMG]

After looking at this info, we quickly realized that a Scoped Assault Rifle and a longer range SMG were required to round out our base weapon lineup, which we added in the update on 9/26.

So, what are we doing going forward? There’s a few additional approaches:

• Some weapons don’t quite live up to their expectations. The biggest culprits are the Assault Rifles and the SMGs which were recently adjusted. We’ll continue to evaluate and there may be more incremental improvements, not a radical adjustments.
    • It can be unclear what improves accuracy. Standing still, crouching, and aiming (instead of hip-firing) all have some form of impact on accuracy. We’ll look into ways to improve usability on the reticle, including improved readability of your accuracy cone.
    • We’ll be running prototypes using more recoil and reducing accuracy penalties. The idea behind this is that the first shot will have higher accuracy (but again, not perfect) and then subsequent shots will require slightly more skill. These will be incremental adjustments until we find the sweet spot.
    • Lastly, enabling projectiles for all weapons (not just the Sniper Rifle) is something we’d like to explore. Doing this would allow for tighter accuracy overall. We’ve run prototypes internally and it shows promise, but there are challenges preventing us from turning it on. Once those are sorted out, we’ll consider running a broader test.
    Our goal is to provide a competitive experience without losing our unique playstyle and crazy over-the-top moments that Fortnite Battle Royale brings to the table. We look forward to your help as we continue to hone the experience.

For those of you who have strong feelings on this subject, we encourage you to participate in discussions on our forum. We also plan to spin up a PTR in the coming weeks where we can test out some different ideas and gather your feedback.

Cheers!
    Eric Williamson

24. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My goodness i came first just now with 5 kills. Threw all my grenades at last person hoping to get him and i did. Great game this been playing it all the time

25. onezeon

onezeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    I'm not a massive fan of the shooting and the shallow loot you get.

After playing PUBG a few times on my brother in laws pc that's what I'm hyped for on console more

26. Kinetic Frenzy

Kinetic Frenzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Ha ha i just came 2nd - best i've ever done. It wasn't until after i'd lost the final shoot out that i was left wondering why i never chucked a couple of grenades into the last person's make-shift base before following up with my rifle... instead i was too hasty to unload and lost the shoot out
    :facepalm:
    The winner only had 33 points of health remaining :( gg :D

27. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Got another first, couldn't believe it. 3 of us left, I hid behind a chaps metal fort, he sorted out the 3rd chap, started running out from his fort and I shot him ha

You get an umbrella now to parachute in

PS4 pro it looks great

28. stu646

stu646

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Never heard of this game until tonight after reading this thread. Will download it and jump on it tomorrow.

Sounds good. Hows it work? One life and your dead? How many players on the map? Any ranking up ect?

29. Ben-H

Ben-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    99 players. 1 life. No ranks, just luck on what loot you get when you drop in and pick up of fallen enemies. I’m enjoying it..

30. Kinetic Frenzy

Kinetic Frenzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    No ranking up yet but Epic are going to introduce some sort of 'progression'.

One life.
    A game can go the distance or you could be the first eliminated and all over in just 10 seconds.
    100 players on the map (including yourself).
    It tells you how many kills you've got for the round but there are no stats yet so don't get hung up on it.
    You could conceivably win a round by only killing one person.