Fortec Star FS4400 EPG Issue

mirage28

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Fortec Star 4400 which in most respects seems to work fine. When I select the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) there are two problems.
1. It only displays programme information on a channel once you have moved the cursor to that channel
2. It only displays the current programme and the one immediately following.

This is completely useless if you want to record a programme later in the evening or set it up for another evening. The sales blurb claims full 7-day programme guide. I have tried a replacement unit - which has the same problem.

Signal strength is 90% and quality is greater than 70%

Any ideas anyone?

Is it finger trouble on my part or have FS got firmware problems on this model.

Fortec Star (UK) have been miserable in responding to my email, hence my resorting to AV Forum

The 7 day EPG claims are for 13 and 19.2 deg east and maybe other birds. If you are using 28.2/5 you will only get now and next as you have found out. Nothing wrong with the receiver.

Note I see you have posted in the Freesat forum, this receiver is not a Freesat authorised model but generic FTA receiver.

Hello Fred,

Many thanks for your reply re FS4400 issue. Clearly I have a lot to learn about FTA and Freesat. I did what I guess many people have done which is to simply connect the FS4400 to my old sky dish when my skybox died - thinking I would get a similar service. If I understand you correctly, to get a 7-day EPG I need to swing my dish round to a different bearing and re-search for different satellites. Can you recommend a web site which would list what programmes (ie BBC1 ITV XX etc) I could get on which satellites and their bearings?

Thanks again for your help

Mirage28 (my boat!)

Hello Fred,

Many thanks for your reply re FS4400 issue. Clearly I have a lot to learn about FTA and Freesat. I did what I guess many people have done which is to simply connect the FS4400 to my old sky dish when my skybox died - thinking I would get a similar service. If I understand you correctly, to get a 7-day EPG I need to swing my dish round to a different bearing and re-search for different satellites. Can you recommend a web site which would list what programmes (ie BBC1 ITV XX etc) I could get on which satellites and their bearings?

Thanks again for your help

Mirage28 (my boat!)

You can only get the UK PSB channels from 28.2E together with all the fta channels with some from Eurobird1 at 28.5E. Cheapest way to get a full epg is get hold of a sky box which will get all the fta channels without a card.

Hi mirage28 - A great website for finding out the frequencies etc for satellite channels is KingOfSat Satellite Channel Listings - very fast & up-to-date. Also very useful for satellite channel listings, & not as well known as it might be, is TV Guide & TV Listings - Sky TV

Incidentally, I recently switched from a Fortec Star 4300 to a Bush Freesat receiver. I now have a full 8 day EPG for the Freesat channels (which somehow are more numerous than I thought they would be). But I don't even have a Now & Next for the non-Freesat channels I've downloaded. Also, the whole business of downloading & managing non-Freesat channels is far less easy than with the Fortec Star - eg you have to search for them frequency by frequency; you can't sort them or put them in Favourites lists; & deleting unwanted channels is troublesome. So, don't discard your FS 4400 too readily!

Thanks Graham and Geofbob for your comments - all of which are very informative - if not what I wanted to hear:cool:. The FS4400 was attractive because of the USB port which I was expecting to use to record programmes to an external HDD (although I haven't tried this in anger yet). Without the 7-day EPG however, I question the usefulness of this facility.

Obviously some more thinking to do on my part. Thanks for your comments

You don't need the EPG to make Timer Recordings. The menu is sort of clumsy though...

From the Menu, choose:

System Setup
Timer Setting
OK (to enter a new event)
You need to change the Timer Mode to "Once" or "Daily" by pressing > on your remote
Change the Timer Mode to "Record" by pressing > on your remote

I'm sure you'll work the rest out.

I just use TVGuide.co.uk to look for movies and stuff I want to record.

Just to add for the sake of interest, I thought you might like to know that I recently bought a 4400 and had a moment of no epg at all......on correctly setting the time on the device everything appeared properly:smashin:

It's a bit long-winded this and I apologise for that.

I recently purchased a Fortec FS4400 FTA box (from Maplin - ughhh!) which we use in SW France as a replacement for the old SKY box which for the past 12 months had crashed every evening at 7.00 pm UK Time (an issue discussed elsewhere on this Forum as I recall).

After a bit of deciphering of the rather odd English in the manual, the installation was quite straight forward, apart from failing to receive both BBC3 and 4 TV channels.

Having e-mailed Fortec, they came back within a day or so with an instruction to manual tune to the frequencies which they recommended I obtain from the Lyngsat web site. I have done that but with no success.

When I carry out a full scan, the frequencies (10773H and 10803H) are found but neither channel is displayed nor obtained. Fortec suggested manually editing the data but that had no effect.

I have to assume that the dish is set up as recommended for Astra 2A, B and D (28.2E) as we can receive all of the free view and radio channels and we need when using our old SKY box, so having spent hours messing with the Fortec box I am now at a loss what to do next. I have fired two other e-mails to Fortec asking for more help but they are seemingly being useless and quite uncooperative. I also appealed to Maplin for some help but all they offered was a total rejection of any after sales help because I have had the goods for more than 28 days! In short, I have seemingly drawn two short straws by firstly selecting a Fortec box and secondly buying from Maplin. Certainly that is an object lesson and I will neither use Maplin again, nor recommend them to anyone for anything more complex than a cheap screwdriver of a pair of pliers!

The other odd feature I have found is that having set up favourites for both TV and Radio I now cannot toggle between the two using the TV/Radio button on the RCU. In fact, it seems the only way I can now switch between TV and Radio (without scrapping the Favourites feature) is to go into Menu and select from there which entails having to enter the default 0000 password each time. That surely cannot be 'normal'!

Please can anyone out there offer any guidance with either or both of these issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I've deleted the double post that you made, let's start with the first issue - what exactly is it - just those two channels not showing?
They only broadcast under those names after 7pm.

I will start by thanking you logiciel for a remarkably rapid response and also apologise for the double post which I had noted. I haven't a clue how that happened, but being the dunce I am in such matters, I decided to leave well alone!

Regarding my apparent problem and taking on board you comments before replying, I decided to have another go, but at late evening this time. There they were, BBC3 and BBC4, at the very bottom of the 679 channels list. Having previously searched and scanned several times, I find it hard to believe I have missed these before. However, everything is possible, but in saying that, my previous attempts have been pre 7.00 pm. I should say too that I had previously found a BBC TES3 channel which seems to transmit Cebeebies during the day, so I had discounted that as irrelevant to us, although this evening it seemed to be transmitting the regular BBC3 programmes. As you can see, I am a total novice at these things.

Regarding the toggling between TV and Radio channels, I seem to have resolved that by grouping our favourites into just a single group which, as the list is quite limited, does not cause any problem. Previously I grouped radio separately to TV so may be that caused the difficulty.

I have to say, as well as my double post, I now feel something of a double mutt as all now seems to be working fine, so apologies are owed not just to this forum, but to both Fortec and Maplin too I guess. All I can do is put it down to this dunce's ignorance!

That's perfectly OK and good to hear you've solved most of the problems now.
We all have to start somewhere in learning how these things work.;)
Although I have a Fortec I have to say it's not the sort of thing I'd have chosen for watching UK channels.
It's not a Freesat receiver even though it can produce an equivalent EPG, but I've left this in the FS forum.
The choice has complicated matters for you, but feel free to ask if any more questions arise.
Logi

Last edited:
Thank you logiciel for those reassuring words.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating I suppose. So we shall find out how successful I have been when we try to use BBC4, particularly during the Proms season.

I have to admit that my savvy about these matters is limited to the old SKY box we were using until I obtained the Fortec. Certainly, the SKY box seemed to be simpler and more user friendly but, because of its age I suspect, in October last it started to crash most evenings, an issue which has apparently been quite widespread and not confined to (surreptitious!) French users. That was manifested by screen 'glitches' about 1 minute apart around 6.58 pm UK time which usually but not always resulted in total seizure of the box. Interestingly, when we were in Leeds earlier this year, I noticed the glitches were still there on our daughter's SKY+ box but without adverse effect. Similarly, we still see the glitches with the Fortec but, again, without that adverse and very frustrating effect.

The old SKY box is in fact still in use in my 'listening' room for BBC 3 radio and, apart from the seizures, still performs as needed. However, as I rarely change channels from BBC R3 it is not an issue.

We did previously have two SKY boxes but the other literally died when, in my total ignorance, I attempted a forced download described on the net! Although still in my cellar, it is now destined for the local waste station.

Regarding the Fortec, my (perhaps misplaced) reason for selecting that was there are no illicit SKY use ramifications with the FTA box and the price looked attractive. From what you say, I should have been rather more circumspect! Whatever, if it serves to fulfill our purpose that is all we require as we are not looking for an nth degree of finesse or performance. No matter how good the box is the rubbish they transmit is just the same rubbish! But that's me being the old 'Meldrew' cynic.

By the way, I note your user name is the French for 'software'. Was that a deliberate and informed choice?:cool:

Last edited:
That's OK, and there's a little more reassurance, on a specific topic, in reports we've had that odd things happen at 7pm, so you're not alone in that. In your case as a BBC4 watcher, there's the point that when they change the channel at that time, from children's to intellectuals':D, odd things can happen. The change also explains why you found it and its companion BBC3 in an odd location of your channel list, and why they might appear under different guises such as the TES that you saw. About the concerts the selection they've made for TV broadcasts is again inconsistent imho, and I tend to forget which channel they're on, but I suppose we should be grateful for what we get.
Yes, the name was chosen partly for that reason - though at the time I thought it was actually the word for the "ordinateur":blush: - partly because I was only modding the Remotes section at the time with its emphasis on Logitech products - and partly because it's logical. :)

Yes, at first, I thought those glitches were confined to BEEB1 but a local UK ex-pat who installs satellite systems, etc. for other ex-pats (or anyone for that matter) said he had noticed them on BBC2 too on recordings of Strictly Come Dancing 2 for his wife :rolleyes:. However, as he has state of the art kit he did not suffer the crashes we were enduring.

I never got to the bottom of what causes those, my pet (and ignorant :confused:) theories being they are connected with either, (a) the changeover to digital in the UK, or (b) they switch satellites at 18.58 precisely, or (c) it is another Rupert Murdoch dastardly trick :devil:.

Re: Proms on TV, looking at the televised Proms schedules they do seem to be confused and all over the place, not just channel-wise but date-wise too. Also, as I failed to find the BBC web link for that I resorted to the RAH web site but their programme notes errors were remarkable to say the least :confused:. Whatever, I am still not totally convinced about 'watching' music. Although some of the younger musicians are good to look at :blush:, I find the constant zooming around can distract from the musical experience. After all, when one is in a concert hall or theatre one does not keep running up to the front to get a better view, but the TV version would be a bit dull I suppose without the changes of scenery. In truth, I am quite content with old fashioned steam Radio 3 and, occasionally, Classic FM. Also, I occasionally stream other EU stations via the PC for a change but as they are heavily compressed the sound quality is noticeably reduced.

As for your name, the French do like to invent their own words for new things. Whilst to the rest of the world a computer is a 'computer', 'les français' had to invent a non-Anglo Saxon version. L' Académie française claim that is to protect their culture and language, but I think there is an element of bloody-mindedness in there too. However, most French understand and use 'computer', just as they use 'le weekend', 'le boss' and 'le job' :(.

Hi and thanks for the link.
They're not exactly gushing with details are they?:D I have the RT pullout of the full season's programmes, but still have to go on from there to the week's RT for the timings. Haven't missed much tonight but Saturday's Mahler 2 should be outstanding. Dudamel did 1 for his debut with the LA PO, while Abbado did 6 with Dudamel's orchestra, both very well. I'll check out the RAH site, to catch their curious notes.
Your theory (b) links up to the idea that switching channels at 7pm can create some sort of glitch.
There's maybe some comfort in the fact that the Germans mess up French as well as English, as much as the French do English.

:hiya: (I am sure this isn't the right place for these discussions!)

Perhaps that BBC press release and their Proms 2011 web site are victim to the BEEB's current austerity measures in that they may have let their better web site developers move to pastures new. In saying that, I do wish they would stop mucking around with the R3 web site. Just when I have learned to navigate it with moderate success they change it again.:mad: I can never comprehend why they need to keep on reinventing the wheel. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it is my philosophy. As for the current BBC Proms web site, I am sure it was more comprehensive in 2010 and with better links.:(

Yes indeed, the Dudamel concert looks very tasty. Each time I hear the Simón Bolívar S.O. I marvel at their quality and accomplishment, not to mention their 'entertainment' value. I think I will be going for the double dose, Radio 3 on Friday and the TV version on Saturday.:clap:

Regarding this evening, I do find it rather frustrating to have two concerts simultaneously transmitted on TV and radio. However, I suppose there is a presumption that we shall catch one or t'other on i-Player. Now there's another annoyance. TV i-Player cannot be viewed here in France, legally that is, although I have been given a proxy link which sometimes works (ExpatShield) albeit rather quirky.

Back to Mahler 2, that never fails to move me. I can fully empathise with Rattle's enthusiasm, if that is not being too presumptuous on my part. Many years ago and quite by chance, I picked up, in either Asda or Morrisons remarkably, a copy of the HMP Classic cassette version of the Kaplan recording of Mahler 2 and having played it until I could almost hear both sides of the tape at once, I acquired a CD version from Window on the World in the NE. It remains as one of my favourite versions, so much so I have now heard it 'live' twice under Kaplan, at RAH and at Bridgewater Hall, Manchester.

Whilst on this topic, but not wishing to over-burden you with links, etc, have you come across this site, www.musicweb-international.com ? I came across it whilst surfing for information on Anthony Hopkins (the musical one, which gives my age away!) and I found the content to be most interesting. The chap that seems to steer it, Len Mullenger, seems to be most amenable too.

Enjoy the concert.

Yes, at first, I thought those glitches were confined to BEEB1 but a local UK ex-pat who installs satellite systems, etc. for other ex-pats (or anyone for that matter) said he had noticed them on BBC2 too on recordings of Strictly Come Dancing 2 for his wife :rolleyes:. However, as he has state of the art kit he did not suffer the crashes we were enduring.

I never got to the bottom of what causes those, my pet (and ignorant :confused:) theories being they are connected with either, (a) the changeover to digital in the UK, or (b) they switch satellites at 18.58 precisely, or (c) it is another Rupert Murdoch dastardly trick :devil:.

Those glitches are caused by the switch on of BBC3 and BBC4 a few minutes before they actually start transmitting. The BBC Technical dept have admitted this and are trying to find the exact cause in their transmission chain and solve the problem. The problem is that BBC3 and BBC4 share transponders with many BBC1 and BBC2 regions BUT it can be avoided by using BBC1 and BBC2 regions that are not on those transponders. For BBC1 these are - West Midlands, East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, East East, East Midlands, Wales, South, South West, North East and Cumbria, Oxford, Northern Ireland. For BBC2 these are Wales and Northern Ireland.

The problem does not seem to occur when BBC3 and 4 switch off and CBBC and CBeebies switch on because there is at least half an hour gap between the two lots of channels.

Last edited:
They did not disappoint.
No they certainly did not - it was one of those lost-for-words occasions!
More in PM - Logi

DM2 - In what sense do BBC3 and 4 "switch on", on the same channels on which the childrens' programmes have been transmitting immediately before that? I'm never around at the other end of the 3 and 4 schedules, and didn't know until I just looked it up that there's quite a long gap between them and the children starting up again. :)

Last edited:
No they certainly did not - it was one of those lost-for-words occasions!
More in PM - Logi

DM2 - In what sense do BBC3 and 4 "switch on", on the same channels on which the childrens' programmes have been transmitting immediately before that? I'm never around at the other end of the 3 and 4 schedules, and didn't know until I just looked it up that there's quite a long gap between them and the children starting up again. :)

The children's channels during the day broadcast right up to 7.00 p.m. when BBC3 and 4 start broadcasting. BBC apparently "switch on" parts of the BBC3 and 4 transmission chain a few minutes before 7.00 p.m. and it is this that appears to cause the glitches. In the morning there is a gap between the switching off and the others switching on so there is no "overlap" of the two pairs of channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom