Fortec Passion+ new user experiences

I bought this from Maplin 5 days ago (25th May 2009) and initially was not very impressed with it. It came with a very old release of software from September 2008, which was rather buggie -two releases behind the current one. It was so bad, I was on the point of returning it under the SOGA it was so disfunctional.

The radio channels either did not work at all and the few which did were slow to start. The EPG mostly didn't work at all well and when I eventually tried a hard disk, there were lots of problems with it not being recognised even when I had already had it working.

I didn't initially have a HDD to connect to it, nor a large enough USB memory stick, to allow me to update the firmware, but I eventually borrowed the USB from my PC. I first tried the official release of updated software from the Fortec web site, which sorted the Radio channels out and improved other things tremendously, but there were still one or two problems.

Last night I installed the latest version of the beta firmware file from the Sataid site. This seems to have pretty well sorted out all of the problems and it now works very well indeed. The new menu system, EPG and new functionality is very much better than before.

I'm very surprised Maplins have not had returns of the unit, if all of their P+'s have that old version of software installed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom