Formula One Licence?

Trist

Was listening to a podcast yesterday (can't remember for sure which one) I think it was Gamespot UK and they mentioned that Sony was not going to be making any new Formula One games.

I was wondering if maybe MS had sneaked in there and bought the licence up. Maybe wishful thinking, but it seems strange that Sony would stop making games for something that it owned the licence for.

Wikipedia has Sony down for having the licence running through till 2009 so maybe MS have picked it up from then onwards.

Bit of a long shot & no real facts involved just a bucket load of presumption from me
... but we can dream.*

* if we're really dreaming, MS will announce they've got the licence & are making a new game with Geoff Crammond.

WelshBluebird

yep I heard that on the podcast aswell. Really suprised me as knowing only sony had the license, I would have thought they would have wanted to use it.

I suppose only time will tell.

Trist

yep I heard that on the podcast aswell. Really suprised me as knowing only sony had the license, I would have thought they would have wanted to use it.

I suppose only time will tell.
Stange one, you'd have thought that at least they'd put out a carbon copy of the last one with updated car designs & drivers.

Annual sports games are the norm now & I'd have though established sports like F1 would still be able to bring in the $$$ for them.

Maybe the continual list of crappy annual Sony F1 games has caught up with them & people are not buying them anymore?

Games like Forza, PGR and Gran Turismo prove that you can make games with a decent feel of car handling, it's amazing that the Sony F1 games got it so wrong for so long!

I'd love to see someone have a decent crack at making a new F1 game, especially with the Lewis Hamilton effect it's really starting to draw people back to the sport (myself included).

SibTiger33

EA or Microprose need that f1 license back

they are the only ones who can make a good f1 game if u ask me

at least then it will not be restricted to just the one console too :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PLJPlayer

Novice Member
Microprose, my god, thats a blast from the past.:eek:
I loved those games but got more and more disapointed with each new version. Grand Prix 3 took about six months before they released a patch to make it run on my p.c. by which time I had given up on it, the force feedback steering was rubbish, etc. etc.

Some of the EA games were brilliant but only after they had been modded with new cars and realistic sponsorship decals that some geniuses created online. The game out of the box was a bit rubbish, but spend a bit of time and get some decent updates and it was excellent.

Not sure if this would be such a great step for a console, although any sort of F1 game is better than nothing, thank god for Forza 2.
:clap:

SibTiger33

Microprose, my god, thats a blast from the past.:eek:
I loved those games but got more and more disapointed with each new version. Grand Prix 3 took about six months before they released a patch to make it run on my p.c. by which time I had given up on it, the force feedback steering was rubbish, etc. etc.

Some of the EA games were brilliant but only after they had been modded with new cars and realistic sponsorship decals that some geniuses created online. The game out of the box was a bit rubbish, but spend a bit of time and get some decent updates and it was excellent.

Not sure if this would be such a great step for a console, although any sort of F1 game is better than nothing, thank god for Forza 2.
:clap:

f1 games could work great on the 360 with season updates , livery changes etc -

but yeah i guess u are right about the ea games - the basic games were bad - but the mods changed everythign

SibTiger33

Geoff Crammond + F1 License + Xbox Live = heaven.

Hope it happens.

are you reading this Geoff!! - come on get your act together :)

online f1 --- would be fantastic

online championship mode

save replays of crashes - overtaking

(i need to stop dreaming.... :mad:)

nugat

If anyone's going to get the license I'd have thought it would be
Microsoft, as from next year they'll be the sole supplier of ECU's
for the actual cars -

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/27956/

But if you're hankering for some F1 action now and have a half decent
PC, buy rFactor and download this free mod.

http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=FSONE 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6G46SCKFE

rFactor is actually made by the same people that did the last EA F1 game.
It really is the nuts! :thumbsup:

Dr Evilest

In my opinion the best F1 game was the original on the PS1, & I think Bizarre Creations (of PGR fame) were behind this.
The Grand Prix games & EA efforts that followed were, for me, inferior & less playable.
F1+Bizarre Creations=:smashin: Maybe they could bring back Murray Walker.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
In my opinion the best F1 game was the original on the PS1, & I think Bizarre Creations (of PGR fame) were behind this.
The Grand Prix games & EA efforts that followed were, for me, inferior & less playable.
F1+Bizarre Creations=:smashin: Maybe they could bring back Murray Walker.

That was good, but wasn't it Psygnosis who did it???

Also Geoff Crammonds GP3 was amazing.....

Trist

Geoff Crammond F1 games are by far the best that I've played. But I'd be a little worried at how he'd do with the new consoles. He only ever developed games really for Amiga and PC (and an Xbox port that got canned). In fact his last game was probably a good 5 years ago.

I seem to remember reading something about him that basically said he did almost all of the work himself, back in the amiga days you could get away with it.... not sure about now though ;)

Bizarre is a really good shout though. They'll have finished off with PGR4 development so an F1 game would certainly be a nice change for them I'm sure.

Still, it'll all irrelevent unless MS or someone else gets the licence.

Bilbob

If this is true, then I think it's pretty safe to say that F1 games WILL appear on the 360...
Why?
Well if Sony have lost the license, that obviously means someone else has got it... if it's MS, it'll be exclusive, if it's EA, it'l be on both.... If it's anyone else, it will also be on both...

WHatever way you look at it, it's coming to the 360...:thumbsup:

SibTiger33

If this is true, then I think it's pretty safe to say that F1 games WILL appear on the 360...
Why?
Well if Sony have lost the license, that obviously means someone else has got it... if it's MS, it'll be exclusive, if it's EA, it'l be on both.... If it's anyone else, it will also be on both...

WHatever way you look at it, it's coming to the 360...:thumbsup:

hopefully coming to the 360 :D (2008 late or 2009 at the earlier i would think)

but as mentioned earlier - microsoft are meant to have some involvement in F1 in 2008 - maybe this will also have some say into whether or not they also get the license. (maybe they already got it from sony!)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom