Former owner left stuff in my house

Adam_uk

So just bought a new place and moved in.

The guy we bought off left a lot of stuff in the house and outbuildings- most of it utter junk to be honest.

However he also left some euros, old passports and birth certificate.

We asked him to remove the lot and he refused, he has asked us to return the cash and documents and has basically said if we dont we are committing a criminal offence.

Through it it all he has been a bit of a dick.

Thoughts? My opinion is either remove it all or we bin it all. He cant pick and choose?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I would just say he has x amount of time to come and collect anything he wants to keep - after which it will be disposed of. Committing and offense if you don't send him things he left behind? I don't think so :)

IronGiant

I put it with your other stuff. I can arrange to ship all of it to you at your expense, or if you want me to sort through it and find the bits you want that will be £50 an hour
We arranged for a house clearance of your rubbish, I guess it's with the rest of the stuff

I can't possibly recommend the above...

Johnny P

I would just say he has x amount of time to come and collect anything he wants to keep - after which it will be disposed of. Committing and offense if you don't send him things he left behind? I don't think so :)
I think I'd do something similar.

It's not your responsibility to sort through stuff and reunite him with lost objects he would like to have back in his possession.

Based purely on the fact he's been awkward so far, I think I'd tell him he can collect everything, rubbish and all, by a certain date. If not, the whole lot is getting disposed of.

tell him that you've had to get a skip to get rid of HIS rubbish, he's more than welcome to come and collect anything left behind, but would need to reimburse you for the skip at the same time

FightingPrice

Standard Member
We had a similar issue last year when we moved into our current place. There was loads of stuff left behind and the advice we were given by our solicitor was that since it was left after completion, legally, it was ours to do with as we wish.

Not sure how you'd apply that to a passport but we were given the advice based on our description of what was left behind.

davecraven

Standard Member
he is actually the one commiting the criminal offence, contact you local PD. he can be charged for the price of the removal of the items, sorry forgot the name of the law involved

edit: sorry i was assuming UK law

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
freecycle the furniture if he does not collect in X amount of days.

That way you may be helping those in need.

Get the euro's exchanged use the cash to send his documents off to him haha and pocket the rest for your hardwork ;)

Tell him you will charge him storage fee's if it's not collected asap.

OldSwitcheroo

from an article in the telegraph in 2000.

"The law is subtle when it comes to housebuyers picking up unexpected bonuses with their purchase. If a vendor leaves behind a treasure chest which was clearly not intended to be included in the sale, you cannot simply claim it: you have a duty to write and inform the vendor that he has left it behind and invite him to claim it by a certain date; if he fails to meet the deadline, the property becomes yours."

Basically, he comes to get it, plain and simple.

Personally, if you don't want to deal with him again, I'd pack it in boxes (including a selection of the utter junk, not all of it), then drop it off at his estate agents for him to pick up. Take out the euros as cost for your delivery services.

Slightly childish but I would add a couple of potentially embarrassing things that he didn't leave behind (gimp mask maybe) and put them at the top of the box so when he walks in to collect, everyone in the estate agent will know his dirty little secret...

Steven

Senior Moderator
The passport would be the property of the government

Phil57

he is actually the one commiting the criminal offence, contact you local PD. he can be charged for the price of the removal of the items, sorry forgot the name of the law involved

edit: sorry i was assuming UK law
Care to tell us what the criminal offence is, and if it isn't (which I would suggest it isn't) why the (PD?) police should be involved, costing the local tax payer money?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
freecycle the furniture if he does not collect in X amount of days.
Put it on Freecycle then send him a link to the advert - he will soon be 'round once it's on there :)

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
Sell the passport to an immigrant :D
Sorry, I have nothing constructive to say :(

SBT

Banned
I've recently moved house,and the only things they left me were Gas and electric bills :laugh:

Oh and a loft full of rolled up old carpets :confused:

Dony

Distinguished Member
I've recently moved house,and the only things they left me were Gas and electric bills :laugh:

Oh and a loft full of rolled up old carpets :confused:
Have you unrolled them to make sure they didn't leave any bodies in them :devil:

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Had a very similar situation myself when we moved this year.

People before were, for want of a better word, dirty gits. They left an absolute mess. A half filled skip in the driveway, a garage so packed with rubbish that you could hardly walk into it, doors off the hinges inside the house, old rubbish that they didn't want left inside too (such as paintings, old furniture, food etc).

Needless to say I wasn't too happy. After much arguing between me, my solicitor and the estate agent I got a few hundred quid back for cleaning up their mess. They left a couple of valuable things and I made them collect every piece of junk from the garage to get them back.

Happy in the end, but some people really are low-lifes.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Is this something the savvy buyer should put in the contract? 'Not clutter to remain' ?

IL Cattivo

Is this something the savvy buyer should put in the contract? 'Not clutter to remain' ?
If solicitors / conveyancers do their jobs properly they should include in the signed contract something along the lines of a section stated as.

Vacant possession
Empty. On completion of a sale a seller is obliged to deliver the property with vacant possession which means clear of occupants and of objects which are not included in the sale. The same applies at the end of a tenancy.

If therefore items that are not included in the contract of sale are still present in the house at the point the buyer moves in then the Seller is liable to either remove it themselves within a certain time or the buyer can remove it themselves at a chargeable cost to the Seller. (Your Conveyancer/Solicitor should advise you on this)

FZR400RRSP

Banned
If therefore items that are not included in the contract of sale are still present in the house at the point the buyer moves in then the Seller is liable to either remove it themselves within a certain time or the buyer can remove it themselves at a chargeable cost to the Seller. (Your Conveyancer/Solicitor should advise you on this)
This happened to me with a house I bought, the previous people left a bloody great fishtank and washing machine behind.
I recouped the costs for their disposal from them, via my solicitor.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Geez some people - hope you charged them for the van - that junk must have been heavy!

Berties

Banned
I know when my mate moved in previous owner left a brand new fridge, microwave, oven and washing machine! The cheek of it all!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published