Formatting HDD ?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'v got a SSD laying around and was thinking about putting it in the PS4 it's only 240gb ,
There are few games that's on the HDD ( main drive now ) that i wouldn't mind keeping as i do sometimes go back and play them- but their will not all fit on the SSD .

so what i would like to know ?,
After putting the SSD in adding the games im playing now ,
would i have to format the HDD ? (after it's been put in to a caddy and used as an external drive )or will the PS4 just pick it up and see the rest of of that games thats on it now ?

I don't know the answer for sure. I would assume it would need reformatting.

Im not sure there is much performance gain from using an SSD in the PS4.

I genuinely don't know, but I would assume so. If you don't reformat it you're going to have a load of wasted space on there from the operating system so I've always reformatted my drives when I've removed them anyway.

Just be aware before you go through all the time and effort that a 240gb only leaves around 170gb usable space and due to the architecture of the console there isn't really a large speed improvement. The improvements are slightly better on the Pro, but still not massive.

Yea mine is the Pro , ( forgot to mention that )
I know the OS takes up quite a bit ,

the reason behind putting a ssd in is im playing the last of us , and some times- loads time ( when first starting the game can take a while )
which got me thinking about "tlou part2 " and that too may have long times , so might try bring them down by using an ssd ,
240gb is small i know - might pick up 500gb ssd and that will see good for a good while .
only have a few games installed , so don't need a larger one than 500gb .

Why not just get an enclosure and add it via USB which would still improve load times wouldn't it?

The improvements are definitely more noticeable on the Pro apparently.

I've just purchased a 480gb SSD drive this week, but I'm going to try it in an external caddy first. The articles I've read say that the difference between using the SSD internally Vs externally are negligible, but both are still an improvement on the stock drive in the Pro.
Plus I don't fancy having to re-download 102gb of AC Odyssey.

The 240gb won't work in an enclosure, it needs to be 250gb minimum.

Bollocks , through the drive was a 240gb na only a 120gb 🙄
how ever just read that the external drive has to be over 250gb ,

The improvements are definitely more noticeable on the Pro apparently.

Yep loading times on RDR2 are considerably better but I do have a Pro

I went with a Crucial MX500.

Doesn't the drive get repartitioned and formatted by the PS 4 anyway?

Yep loading times on RDR2 are considerably better but I do have a Pro

I went with a Crucial MX500.

Doesn't the drive get repartitioned and formatted by the PS 4 anyway?

The drive that goes into the console will, but sykotik was asking about the drive that's taken out. I always reformat them straight away anyway so I don't know if it's a requirement for an external drive.

Went for the Crucial mx 500 500gb
that should see me good for a good while seen as the tlou 2 is about 100gb in size to start with , then add the patches on and it will be some size ..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom