1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatting drive for Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chris4817, Jan 10, 2005.

1. chris4817

chris4817

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded my disc to a 120g Maxtor a while ago with no problems. I was fully aware that I could only do one system reset.

However, after having a power cut yesterday the hard drive has been wiped and is no longer recognised.

I know that I now have to do a low level format (?) but only have a laptop. I do have an external firewire hard drive caddy. Would I just be able to do a quick format of the drive within XP to get it working again?

Any help would be appreciated as I am not brilliant with computers.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Do another Full System Reset, not sure why you think you can only do one.
    Of course the power cut may have fragged the drive totally which is why it's now not being recognised and no amount of resets may help.

Someone with more hands on knowledge of HD upgrades for SKY+ may have more info and point you in a more constructive direction:)

3. chris4817

chris4817

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments. I read over at Digitalspy forums that it was only possible to do one full system reset on an upgraded disc before it needs formatting again.

4. petercol

petercol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This appears to be true.

I am having a lot of problems getting a Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250 gigw/ 16mb cache to work in my Pace V2 box. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Also not having a recent PC with a chipset that will recognise this size of drive I have had to use my Mac with a firewire box using utilities to reformat the drive (as an MS Dos writing all zeros to the drive) This long format takes a few hours.

The only limited success I had was doing a physical hard reset/forced format ( i.e. holding in the left and right keys besides "select" and plugging in power. When the green circular light comes on steady you release the keys. The green light then begins to flash intermittently. At this point you press the select key and wait until the red standby button lights up a few minutes later. Then you press the sky button to reboot the system.)

At this point I found it was immediately worth checking the signal strength.
    Apparently the way the software works is that if the reboot is unsuccessful the box only recognises one of the sat feeds. Thus recording will not work.
    I found that by replacing my old 40 gb drive everything worked perfectly and both feeds were recognised.

Anyway with a newly formatted drive I got 2 feeds showing. I then proceeded to try and record a live program. The picture digitised and scrambled up and the box forced itself offline. No amount of resetting both physically or through housekeeping will get me back the 2 feeds.
    Any ideas anyone?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Is this after doing "housekeeping" ? (Services, 4,0,1,Select).

6. chris4817

chris4817

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately yes!