• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Formatted memory card canon Ixus 55 then took pics- can be recovered?

sym8olo

Established Member
Hi all, as the title says we've formatted the memory card then because we didn't want to leave Tunisia (where we were on hol) with no photos at all, we have taken some new ones (just a few).
I read on a closed thread that you can get free software to restore lost fotos after formatting the memory card but they made the point that they hadn't taken new ones. Does that necessarily mean we won't be able to follow the same method to recover any of our pics, or might that just mean we won't get all of them?
As in the subject, he camera is a Canon Ixus 55 with a 1gig card. The advice was also that we could use the normal method of connecting the camera to the of and should not need a card reader?
Any help would be very much appreciated! :lease:

Last edited:

Gingerbillc

Established Member
Foramtting removes the address, not the image, so they should still be there, except when you have written over them. All may not be lost, try to get hold of Ontrack Easyrecovery Professional, recovered a whole drive which deleted by mistake - dual booting, don't go there- and although a bit overwhelming, it works.

Zone

As Gingerbillc has said the picture should still be recoverable, I've used PC Inspector with success in the past, free here so worth a try, just make sure you don't format or use the card again until all avenues have been explored!

Good luck..

sym8olo

Established Member
hi and thanks for the quick reply, we are very greatful to be reassured. Do you know about the memory card reader - will we need one?

sym8olo

Established Member
All - I have now tried PhotoRec, Easy Photo Recovery, Card Recovery and currently trying Pareto Logic Data Recovery and to no avail. I only find the latest pics taken after formatting the card :( also tried Photo Rescue and nope. Gutted - even bought the card reader. Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated :(

Last edited:

scotty94

Established Member
Hi, sorry to hear about the mishap, one thing I've found that works well (for me anyways) is Active File Recovery.

I've used this to recover pics from two cards for friends who have accidently deleted their cards.

Unsure if this is available as afree version as I have an enterprise copy of it...good luck

sym8olo

Established Member
Thanks scotty, tried and no joy :( can anyone else suggest anything or should give up?

Last edited:

sprinty

Established Member
a friend formatted his card and we used rescue pro? came free with a sandisk card. Restored 200 photos, the ones he wanted, plus the holiday pics before that.

tynyro

Standard Member
Hi all, as the title says we've formatted the memory card then because we didn't want to leave Tunisia (where we were on hol) with no photos at all, we have taken some new ones (just a few).
I read on a closed thread that you can get free software to restore lost fotos after formatting the memory card but they made the point that they hadn't taken new ones. Does that necessarily mean we won't be able to follow the same method to recover any of our pics, or might that just mean we won't get all of them?
As in the subject, he camera is a Canon Ixus 55 with a 1gig card. The advice was also that we could use the normal method of connecting the camera to the of and should not need a card reader?
Any help would be very much appreciated! :lease:
Here is a link to a soft Recuva that recovers your lost pictures even they were erased by viruses anf this software is free you don't have to pay anything

Sorj

Established Member
THanks Sprinty , tried that too now - looks like I may have to admit defeat. :censored::thumbsdow:(

I feel you frustration as i have done it a few times on very important meets! Good thing i could take the pictures again. It pains me to give you some bad new that you are looking at dead end. I think the mistake was taking new shots on the card that was accidentally delete. Sure that addressing is delete on the files but its the fact that new shots was taken!
I believe its a lost cause! sorry mate.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom