1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FORMATs 16.9 or full screen modes.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MUD, Mar 5, 2001.

1. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI.
    I KNOW IT may sound stupid but I have to ask. WHEN viewing a dvd on my SHARP PROJECTOR.WHICH MODE I have 16.9 normal and full. on some dvd you have for example THE FIFTH ELEMENT.WIDESCREEN version 16.9 when I watch it in 16.9 mode its like letter box and when viewed in full mode the picture is more anamorphic.also when viewing on sky do you guys and girls watch in 4.3 mode or 16.9 mode as all of these films are made in widescreen. all mixed up reguards MUD.

------------------

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    The easiest way to answer this question is to say, do what you think looks right. All DVDs can be in one of three main formats, they aren't always correctly labelled, so, if the image is

a) complete ie nothing important missing from the top, bottom or sides

b) is in the correct proportion - circles are round, people are people-shaped (and not tall/thin,short/fat) etc.....

c) as big as it will go provided that (a) and (b) remain true

then, you've got it right.

If you can't tell what's right in (b) then, don't let it worry you.

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mud,
    Is your player AND your projector set to widescreen?
    Charles,
    "typically the subject is terminated"

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

4. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think MUDdled's bought-it chaps? That is, unless he’s been CENSORED!
    .....‘pink’ hissssssssssssssssssssssssss
    CQ CQ CQ Whoisit?

5. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI
    and thanks for your replys the point I am trying to put across is when I watch in 16.9 mode by the way I have my 737 pioneer set to wide.THAT some dvd give me more height on my screen then others in the above settings.
    MUD.

6. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the answer your looking for as simple as this:
    Anamorphic pictures come in various sizes. 1.77:1 (16:9) being its native resolution, any other anamorphic ratio i.e. 2.35:1 etc. is letterboxed within it.
    If not, read Nigel’s post again.

Rob

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charles,
    "typically the subject is terminated"

And he was!!
    Mud, Even films of the same ratio come up slightly different. If I watch a 16:9 film, & then afterwards put another 16:9 film on, the position of the pic on the screen is often slightly different. No big deal, I just adjust the top/bottom masking. A 2.35:1 film will obviously be narrower than a 16:9 (1.77:1). That's what the figures are telling you! [​IMG] This used to annoy the bloody hell out of me when I first got a w/screen telly, (still does a bit) but with a projector it doesn't matter as you've still got a large picture! [​IMG]

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com