formating discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pw29010, Mar 26, 2006.

1. pw29010

pw29010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i put a sony dvd-rw disc into my pany e20 and it says unformated. what does this mean?

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Before a blank DVD can be used it has to be formatted, A file system has to be written to the disc in order for the recorder to write and read from it, its the same for pcs. The recorder usually asks you if you want to format the disc. You will need to do this before you can use the disc.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If you use Panasonic DVD-RAM discs they do not need formatting before use.

4. pw29010

pw29010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the info thats all sorted, but when i went to record it says that my tv isn't suitable for this fuction. what does this mean?

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Puzzled as to why you are using a DVD-RW disc to record. I have the ES20D and usually record to DVD-R discs. These are the non-erasable type and used for permanent recordings.

For recording to over and over again I use DVD-RAM discs. Some of the non Panasonic ones I have need a quick format on first use then can be erased and rewritten to over and over again. Up to 100,000 times it is reported. DVD-RW is Pioneers native format and the Panasonic machines treat these discs differently.

I have no idea why it says your TV is not suitable for recording. What are you trying to do? You should be using the ES20D internal tuner for recording. At least that is the easiest way. The TV has nothing to do with it.