+format or -format????????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mulder, Nov 15, 2003.

1. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am fairly new to the world of DVD recording and I am looking to take the plunge. I thought I would pop in to two well known High street stores today and have a chat with the shop assistants
    about the two DVD recorders I am interested in Panasonic DMRE50 in the first shop and the Phillips dvdr70 in the second I was told in both shops that I can record straight from my Digital camcorder onto DVD using both models which left me a bit confused as I was under the impression I would need I-link connection or do I?. One assistant didn't know what i-link was. The other thing I was told when I asked about the Phillips machine and the reliability issue he told me that he was un-aware of such an issue and that the Phillips machine was their best selling DVD recorder (not that difficult seeing it was the only make they had on display). Also whilst trying to sell the Phillips machine the assistant told me that the compatability war is going to be won by the +format and all of their PC's that come in are using the +format. Also both shop assistants from both shops told me that the panasonic was ok if you didn't want to lend your discs out as there was a good chance your disc would not play elsewhere.
    Now whether this is true or not this is what's being passed on to un-suspecting customers who shop in these high street stores and given that if i hadn't been on these forums I would have opted for the Phillips DVD+r70. What I am trying to say is that it's information like this that most people looking to buy a DVD recorder is given then I feel that the +format will win as these High street stores are where most people tend to buy their equipment from.
    I am still going to go down the Panasonic route though when the
    prices go back down again as it seems the E50 price has gone up on the net from £227 5 weeks ago to £241 on the dealtime and kelkoo searches

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You could use an analogue connection but if you have a digital camcorder you definitely want iLink on your DVD recorder. Thus you need to look at the Panasonic E60 or DVDR75 as opposed to the cheaper models in each range. However at the price range specified you also have other options: Pioneer 3100, JVC DMR1, Toshiba DR1 and (at the high end) the Sony GX7. This alone should be proof enough not to believe that salesman.

You can't judge the whole experience by one store mate. If you go into Comet for example (the UK's largest high street electrical supplier) then you will see that they sell more DVD-RAM recorders than anything else:
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/241.html
    (there online display is matched instore)

As for a winner of the format war - this will never happen. There will be no resolution to the fight as the Japanese giants will continue to support their own formats. There is no need for them to standardise as all recorders play commerical disks (DVD-Video, CD-DA etc) which is what brought Betamax down.

The general consumer takeup of DVDRs will be in the same proportions as every other piece of electrical equipment, i.e. a certain percentage will buy Panasonic, another percentage JVC etc etc. Thus the larger companies will ultimately sell more DVDRs - this will thus be Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Philips, Toshiba etc. As you can see most of these are minus supporters.

It's Christmas time - the New Year sales will see prices slashed.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,this posting demonstrates my point regarding DVD+ penetration as a high percentage of punters will buy in the high street,and ,god forbid,even Tesco and Sainsbury's.Months ago when I was a + user I asked a question which I will repeat.Why are there no budget DVD- machines in,or on the way to the places where people will impulse buy without knowing,or caring about which format is best?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Give things a chance! The influx of DVD recorders into the major stores of Dixons, Comet, Curries etc will follow the same general trends as their stock of DVD players, i.e. you'll find models from Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Philips, Thompson, Samsung are the mainstay in all the stores. The same will/is happening in the DVDR market - as I say take the Comet example. As mulder states the store he went to only had the Philips recorder - as stores widen their range minus will start to make a bigger splash. As Pioneer stated in the September HCC - "The Japanese are coming...".

There is little doubt that + will do well in the budget end of the market. But past trends show that only a small percentage of people find it acceptable to buy consumer electrical goods from Supermarkets - hence the reason Dixons, Comet, Curries are still in business (likewise for Panasonic and other quality producers etc) and still the biggest electrical sellers. It is from these stores that minus will do well. It's a fact not many people are happy with purchasing Chinese imports...