Formal shirts - What do you wear?

m1stergeorge

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

So I'm in a position that I need to overhaul my formal shirt collection as my exist tonnes just seem to be a bit tatty IMO.

I usually wear some from of M&S shirt but am finding that they either lose their colour (if it's a black one) or start to show signs of visible wear after a relative short period of time.

What formal shirts do people tend to wear? I generally avoid the TM Lewin brand as they seem really thin to the touch but am happy to go around £30-35 per shirt mark. I'm gonna have to get a good few of them so anywhere that does some form of multi deal would be good.

+1 for CT, they can be a pain to iron tho.

I have a mixture of CT, Lewin, YSL and some m and s easy care non iron ones. All decent.

Tyrwhitt, Thomas Pink (which are often in sales at the likes of John Lewis), M&S's better ranges (again, often on offer and better value than the cheaper ones, IMO) and whatever Amazon are doing daft discounts on.

I don't like non-iron fabrics but that's maybe because my girlfriend irons them for me. I know, shameful.

Have half a dozen or so of the Lewin shirts.

Nice material. Feels good. I go for the easy iron (steam them in the shower works) ones.:D

In fact, i hate ironing that much i get them washed and ironed at Morrisons now. £6 for 5 shirts (washed and ironed):thumbsup:

CT are good but agree non iron, I've had good ones from Jeff Banks in the past but not sure if they are about much still. Duchamp also do nice shirts but I only ever get them in the sale.

Thanks for the input folks. Seems like CT are work investigating. Has anyone every tried Hawes and Curtis? I had a look in one of their stores yesterday and they seemed relatively decent.

Another vote for CT from me.... :)

I got for the non-iron.....Still need a quick once over with the iron though if you want them looking crisp!

Tried the Lewin ones, nice shirts, but I found the CT shirts a better fit for me....

They have some good deals on sometimes :)

I've never been that keen on CT shirts. The ones I've had never seem to fit properly - and i'm a pretty standard shape.

I go for John Lewis' own brand now in the tailored fit - which seem to match my shape well and wear well. Much better than M&S.

If you want to spend a bit more, or need something less conservative for a Friday, Ted Baker work shirts are quite nice too.

If you do place an order at CT, see if you can get their Cedar wood shoe trees - I just picked up a set at a bargain 9.99. Well worth it if you have some decent shoes that you want to look after. You need to phone to get the discount though the website shopping cart seems to have a mind of its own.

I wear Lewins for work, never had a problem. Always seems to be a discount code about enabling you to get them for around £20 each.

i've been told to get a white shirt with double cuff for a wedding
needs to be suitable for cuff links

i was in M&S briefly and there were shirts that seemed to have one button (with an insert where the link goes?)
so i guess there are two types, one with a button and space for a link (double cuff?)
and one with just space for a link?
:confused:

i've been told to get a white shirt with double cuff for a wedding
needs to be suitable for cuff links

i was in M&S briefly and there were shirts that seemed to have one button (with an insert where the link goes?)
so i guess there are two types, one with a button and space for a link (double cuff?)
and one with just space for a link?
:confused:

This is a double cuff that will take a cuff link.
http://www.nmwilliams.co.uk/media/c...lassic_collar_double_cuff_ls_shirt_detail.jpg

ah right, so it's a cuff that folds,

that looks better than those where the cuff becomes pointy -
577e662e.jpg

ah right, so it's a cuff that folds,

that looks better than those where the cuff becomes pointy -
View attachment 734582

Also known as a French cuff, get some nice cufflinks on there and you'll be sorted (not those awful material type ones)

I get most of my formal work shirts from John Lewis. Usually good quality and wash and last better than other shirts I have bought

I like the M&S Sartorial range of formal shirts. I have 3 - white, blue and pink - all double-cuff for cuff-links. Their slim-fit ones seem to fit my shape.
Just keep an eye on sleeve length with double-cuffs. One of the advantages of Lewin in particular is they do different sleeve-lengths.

Olymp shirts direct from Germany. Fantastically made and less than £50 each.

I generally use the Next Signature range £30-£40 ea. They are the only slim fit shirts off the shelf that fit, combined with ease of ironing - Lewin et al are sometimes a real nightmare to de-crease!

Because of my chest size and broad shoulders, I struggle with anything even remotely trendy. Most nice or fashionable shirts simply will not fit me and tailored/fitted (slim fit) shirts are a complete waste of time. I'm not at all fat, I'm just tall and very broad shouldered, a throwback from my rugby days and I have the same problem with pants.

In fact I went shopping with the missus to the Trafford Centre a few weeks back looking for a nice fitted shirt to go under my suit for a wedding and spotted a lovely Paul Smith shirt in Selfridges. I went in the changing room to try it on and burst the buttons off the front when I started moving :laugh:

The changing room attendant tried to take it off me but, I was like "no it's fine, I'll put it back".. Honestly, I'm sure a lot of these designers simply assume that all men are either malnourished pipe cleaners or leprechauns. It's just ridiculous.

I tend to have to go for US shirts because they cater for larger sizes. Timberland, Fat Face, RL, Rhino and even M&S all make shirts that are bigger than fashion house shirts. The only downside is that you sometimes look like you're wearing a tent because of the disproportion - I.E, tight on the shoulders but baggy and voluminous round the stomach. You can't win :thumbsdow

I appreciate you've already put a budget of £30-35 in place but have you considered a bespoke option?

I have two shirts I purchased from Harvie and Hudson in London around two years ago which were cut and made to my exact body shape.

The master tailor took into account everything, down to the fact that I like to wear slim fitting watches and even that my right arm is slightly longer than my left, and the detail really shows in the finished product.

Although I was going to go for a thicker material they made me aware that due to my small size and body shape a thinner but higher quality fabric option was the better choice.

I have an incredibly unflattering body shape but thanks to the guidance I was given I really feel incredible wearing these shirts and could never go back.

Thought I'd give you another option to consider if you're willing to spend a "bit" more :D

Because of my chest size and broad shoulders, I struggle with anything even remotely trendy. Most nice or fashionable shirts simply will not fit me and tailored/fitted (slim fit) shirts are a complete waste of time. I'm not at all fat, I'm just tall and very broad shouldered, a throwback from my rugby days and I have the same problem with pants.

In fact I went shopping with the missus to the Trafford Centre a few weeks back looking for a nice fitted shirt to go under my suit for a wedding and spotted a lovely Paul Smith shirt in Selfridges. I went in the changing room to try it on and burst the buttons off the front when I started moving :laugh:

The changing room attendant tried to take it off me but, I was like "no it's fine, I'll put it back".. Honestly, I'm sure a lot of these designers simply assume that all men are either malnourished pipe cleaners or leprechauns. It's just ridiculous.

I tend to have to go for US shirts because they cater for larger sizes. Timberland, Fat Face, RL, Rhino and even M&S all make shirts that are bigger than fashion house shirts. The only downside is that you sometimes look like you're wearing a tent because of the disproportion - I.E, tight on the shoulders but baggy and voluminous round the stomach. You can't win :thumbsdow

I have this issue with trousers. 32" waist but have football/cycling thighs, which is impossible.

Have to buy 34" waist to get enough room to move around which then means I have a baggy waist! Nightmare. Worked out my thigh circumference is the same as Chris Hoy when he was at the 2012 olympics!

I have this issue with trousers. 32" waist but have football/cycling thighs, which is impossible.

Have to buy 34" waist to get enough room to move around which then means I have a baggy waist! Nightmare. Worked out my thigh circumference is the same as Chris Hoy when he was at the 2012 olympics!

Haha, I haven't seen a pair of 34" waist trousers since I was about 14 :laugh:

I'm the same though. My thighs are bloody huge and I have to go for 42" waist kecks to give myself enough room (particularly in jeans) in the leg area.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom