Forgot backbox for in wall speaker setup! Potential solution?

Dinsdale

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Glad to say I’m now up and running with the following setup.

- Denon AVRX4500H receiver.
- 5 x Monitor Audio W280-IDC in-wall speakers
- 4 x Monitor Audio C625-IDC in-ceiling speakers
- 1 x Monitor Audio IWS-10 in-wall subwoofer
- 1 x Monitor Audio IWA-250 in-wall amplifier

There’s just one small snag - the neighbours.

Originally, I was informed that I would simply need “egg foam” to wrap around the speaker recess in my cavity wall to deaden the sound for the neighbours. This was important to me as the last thing I wanted to do was annoy the neighbours with belting sound - I know I’d hate this... but I naively thought the egg foam was the solution.

Unfortunately, this has proved not to be the case when I’ve did some tests with the neighbours. The egg foam might as well not even be there.

So, what next? Well, I’ve been doing some research (admittedly the same research I should have done before the project started). It seems Monitor Audio do backboxes for my W280-IDC’s... but they’re a whopping £150 a pop. Spending another £750 isn’t going to be an easy pill for me to swallow - so I wanted opinions.

It means I’m going to have to cut bigger holes in the wall and replaster over the damage before placing my cables back. Doable, but a bit of a ball ache.

Here is the link to them: WCBOX-L | In-Wall Back Box | Monitor Audio

My questions are:

1. Is this the right approach? If not, what is?
2. Will these really contain the sound for the neighbours benefit?
3. Are there better alternatives?
4. Are there cheaper alternatives?

‘Back box’s’ can often be more about improving the sound you hear rather than diminishing the sound the neighbours hear.

Worth asking MA what level of attenuation they expect with that design and comparing with Dynamat or similar options.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I have actually asked MA the question so ahead, so glad we are on the same page.

Didn’t know that back boxes are more for improvement of the listener. That’s odd as the description of the WCBOX-L says “The body material is framed by EPS to achieve low resonances and improved sound insulation features.”

I’ve never heard of Dynamat so I’ll look into that also - thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom