1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forgiving speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Squid Doctor, May 28, 2005.

1. Squid Doctor

Squid Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have a bit of an unusual qustion. I am trying to set up a 2-channel stereo system. But have an unusual requirement regarding speakers. I am looking for a speaker that will not amplify flaws in the recording quality too greatly, yet still reproduce a quality classical recording accurately.

I listen to a lot of music recorded in less than ideal conditions, and do not want to amplify the poor production, whilst still reproducing well recorded material accurately. Is this possible? Does anyone have any suggestions on suitable speakers for this purpose? I would like to spend around $800-$1000 US on speakers, which I *guess* is around 500 Pounds.

Thanks.

Francois.

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Castle are one company that seem to deliberately instill a particular sound into their products. They are warm, full bodied and very listenable, at the expense of ultimate detail. This is especially true of their big floorstanders, the Harlech and Howard in particular. These may be out of your price range, but the whole castle range is similarly balanced tonally (at least the ones I have heard) and may be what you are after.

Russell

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Try Spendor as well as the recommendations above.

4. Squid Doctor

Squid Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. Thanks guys. I'll check out the castles, maybe next weekend. Searched on the internet and couldn't find any dealers who stock "Spendor" (most hi-fi stores have websites here. ) Are they English speakers?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've heard that the Rocket range (www.av123.com) are fairly good with lesser recordings, with the converse applying to their Reference range. :)

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think Spendor are English - unless their parent company is from other shores a la Wharfedale/Quad?

I was going to get a Rocket UFW10 sub, but the crippling tax and import (about 22% ?) on top of the, actualy quite reasonable, shipping made it unviable. AV123 do seem to have a good rep, mind, backed up with a few favourable online reviews.

Russell

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Indeed, I really fancy some of the RS550 speakers which I could probably get into the UK for a shade under £500 on their current special offer.

I'm also waiting with baited breath to hear some reviews of the UFW-12 which should be phenomenal. :)

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The UFW12 looks to be very impressive, especially considering the room EQ option that you get with it.

Back on topic, the Quads may be another option, although they are lean in the midrange which may reveal some unwanted "freshness". I would still go for Castle, mind.

Russell