Forget PC Say what you honestly feel.

guest5234

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I do not think that women should be in the Fire Service.

Job vacancies should be filled by qualification, not by ethnicity.

I think you are a bigot.

Well you did ask us not to be PC and say what we honestly feel.

Discriminating against someone because of their sex is wrong. Nothing wrong with beliveing that women should need to pass the exact same physical tests as men though. If you think that a firefighter should be able to carry a 15 stone person over their shoulder while climbing down a ladder thats fair even if it does rule out a big percentage of women. But beliveing that a women who can do that easily shouldn't be a firefighter is wrong.

At all, or not on the "Front Line" as it were ?...

I have worked with women in the Fire Service for 10 years now and my opinion is that they are not good enough for front line fire fighting and rescue, only my opinion though...others in the job might think differently.

I think you are a bigot.

Well you did ask us not to be PC and say what we honestly feel.

Discriminating against someone because of their sex is wrong. Nothing wrong with beliveing that women should need to pass the exact same physical tests as men though. If you think that a firefighter should be able to carry a 15 stone person over their shoulder while climbing down a ladder thats fair even if it does rule out a big percentage of women. But beliveing that a women who can do that easily shouldn't be a firefighter is wrong.

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it, just because I personally do not think women are good enough for front line firefighting and rescue does not make me a bigot.

p.s the strenth and physical tests for entry into the fire service have been watered down so much in the last 20 years that most 14 year old lads can do them with ease at young firefighters nights at the station.

Last edited:
That's your opinion and you are welcome to it, just because I personally do not think women are good enough for front line firefighting and rescue does not make me a bigot.

p.s the strenth and physical tests for entry into the fire service have been watered down so much in the last 20 years that most 14 year old lads can do them with ease at young firefighters nights at the station.

Sure but my point was if you wanted to make the physical tests much harder and that ruled out a big chunk of women that would be fine.

But if 10 people applied for a job and the women was the fitest, strongest, most situationally aware etc applicant but you wouldn't employ her because she is a women that would be wrong.

If the current tests let in a significant number of people who arn't good enough then the tests need changing, the problem is with the tests not with women.

The best person for the job should get it no matter their sex, colour etc.

Anyway sure you didn't want the thread to be a debate so ill leave it there.

Sure but my point was if you wanted to make the physical tests much harder and that ruled out a big chunk of women that would be fine.

But if 10 people applied for a job and the women was the fitest, strongest, most situationally aware etc applicant but you wouldn't employ her because she is a women that would be wrong.

If the current tests let in a significant number of people who arn't good enough then the tests need changing, the problem is with the tests not with women.

The best person for the job should get it no matter their sex, colour etc.

Anyway sure you didn't want the thread to be a debate so ill leave it there.

But the tests are so easy that women get in easily, I work with a women who is 5 foot 2 inches and weighs 8 stone (honest) she is a passenger to be honest and although it is not here fault and I like her as a person she should not be in the job as she is physically not up to it.
I agree that the tests should be so hard that only the best of the best get into the job, so many apply for jobs in the Fire Service that it would be easy to set these really tough physical tests.

say what I feel? Ban the full face veil. Everywhere.
Whenever I read about it, there's no religious prerogative, its a matter of choice, but taken in the full knowledge that its provocative.

So those who wear it are under no religious obligation, no rules are being broken, but it is worn to identify the wearer (or the wearers spouse) as radical/hard-core/fundamentalist whatever. Its just provocative symbolism and lets face it, we've already banned a shed load of that in the last few years. No special treatment!

say what I feel? Ban the full face veil. Everywhere.
Whenever I read about it, there's no religious prerogative, its a matter of choice, but taken in the full knowledge that its provocative.

So those who wear it are under no religious obligation, no rules are being broken, but it is worn to identify the wearer (or the wearers spouse) as radical/hard-core/fundamentalist whatever. Its just provocative symbolism and lets face it, we've already banned a shed load of that in the last few years. No special treatment!

I agree.

I think UK citizens should be banned from ruling their own country, they are way to PC and just have meetings about it without any actions. Bring back some decisive action and stop worrying about hurting minority groups feelings. So in 2060 my wish could become true :)

I think UK citizens should be banned from ruling their own country, they are way to PC and just have meetings about it without any actions. Bring back some decisive action and stop worrying about hurting minority groups feelings. So in 2060 my wish could become true :)

PC plus health and safety has ruined what was once a great Country, I hate it with a passion as I see it every day in the Fire Service, it has ruined what was once a great job, we cannot play vollyball in the fire service these days in our rest periods... someone broke a finger playing it 15 years ago.:mad:

LOL I bet when that happened it was a cool story and a 'war wound' to be proud of ;-)

I've got a scar just below my left eye, happened when I was born. My parents thought cool he's got 10 fingers and 10 toes, definitely a boy :), good pair of lungs and already stiches. Real boy. It never crossed their mind to file for damages to a doctor just doing his job whilst making a mistake that is no big deal.

I had to count to ten at my daughters school sports day when the head announced at the beginning that it is a competition against their own ability and that they all win. I thought I was going to puke, but had a good chat with my daughter once she told me that it was boring. Nothing wrong with letting them know it is good to strive to win, nor with loosing, just need to put it in context.

... we cannot play vollyball in the fire service these days in our rest periods...
so what happens instead, going on internet forums? :)

I did see my local firemen in Oxford (when I lived there, around Headington, 5 years ago) often playing volleyball in the evening, when I was walking back home from the pub - when did this stop?

I had to count to ten at my daughters school sports day when the head announced at the beginning that it is a competition against their own ability and that they all win. I thought I was going to puke, but had a good chat with my daughter once she told me that it was boring. Nothing wrong with letting them know it is good to strive to win, nor with loosing, just need to put it in context.

You should have taught her a victory dance for when she won.

I hate all that 'all must have prizes' liberal crap. Winning & losing is part of life. Get used to it.

PC plus health and safety has ruined what was once a great Country, I hate it with a passion as I see it every day in the Fire Service, it has ruined what was once a great job, we cannot play vollyball in the fire service these days in our rest periods... someone broke a finger playing it 15 years ago.

I'd say people like you have more of a negative impact on our country than PC or health and safety.

The world record for female weight lifting is 285kg, can you lift that? How can you say that someone who can should be excluded from a job based purely on their sex?

It's also bizarre that someone who works in the fire service is against health and safety. I think everyone recognises that it can go too far, but that is a consequence of our legal system not H&S policy, which is there to protect people from injury and death in their jobs. Perhaps you would prefer a bit more risk to you and your colleagues in your role?

Last edited:
Indeed and I think loosing is a good experience as I know I don't like it so I make certain next time I won't loose and try harder.

Another thing that really gets on my nerves is that nearly everything gets a label of bully. You can't say anything of criticism anymore as you are bullying someone. Also part of growing up, most of the proper bullies when I grew up you know the thin ugly kid with the spotty face and his big fat friend to protect him are still the same loosers. It is something that people and children just need to deal with and not hide behind bullying I think.

^^^ but aren't some bullies these days a bit more sophisticated and often not the spotty kid, but those with a bit more of a 'social standing' and entourage, targetting less popular kids with cyberbullying type humiliation

To me they are the same tactics different methods. All the permutations have always been there and people will always do stuff like that. Much better to learn to deal with it opposed to cry wolf.

To me they are the same tactics different methods. All the permutations have always been there and people will always do stuff like that. Much better to learn to deal with it opposed to cry wolf.
I'm not sure ... I would liken some of these situations to a hate campaign by adults falsely accusing another of being a paedophile ... and the high-throughput techniques of cyberbullying may be less manageable than what was around in our day

All immigrants should speak the native language of the country they want to live in.

I'd say people like you have more of a negative impact on our country than PC or health and safety.

The world record for female weight lifting is 285kg, can you lift that?

Should of said the world record for a woman full of male hormones is 285kg..

What absolute chauvinistic rubbish, are you really that insecure that it irks you that a woman can do your job?

If you had said "people who are not physically able" instead of "women" you may have a point. Maybe we should get rid of all the female police officers too cos it gets a bit scary in a fight and they're only small.

On topic, what I want to say is that people who moan about political correctness often have bigoted views that they believe are justified.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom