1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget paint, curtains!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by pegFACE, Nov 13, 2001.

1. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahoy

at the moment I live in a rented house, and have recently moved the projector et all back into my room, and tbh, the flowery wallpaper does not do it for me, and as I dont know how long i'll be here for, i was thinking about maybe hanging some fabric of the walls like curtains, rather than paint the place, after all, i can take the curtains with me....

Here's an example from the Barco site

Click for the image

What do you think, the room is 8m x 5m ish

thanks

michael

PS, anyidea how expencive the cloth will be?

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,531
    Michael,
    I have changed your image to a link for two reasons :
    1) It's not nice to link directly to image from other people's websites without first getting their permission. (downloading the image uses their bandwidth)
    2) It's big.

Re your point, yes, curtains are great because dark ones can darken a room, ruffled ones can deaden the room, and drawing them turns the room into a brightly painted or wallpapered room.
    My home cinema has 5 pairs of curtains around all the walls except the front (with the screen). They are dark blue so help make the room pitch black when the lights are out. The walls underneath are painted magnolia. My curtains are also thich and ruffled so that where the sound bounces around when they are open, when closed the room is acoustically dead.
    My curtains were £25 a pair, and professional fitting including the matrials was, I think, £125.
    The only disadvantage is placement of speakers. Because I can't now wall-mount my speakers, I'm getting 7 of the new Ruark centres which come with ceiling mountable brackets.
    More pictures, check out my home cinema.

3. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i saw your site, nice job, i have bad neighbours at the mooment, maybe dumping 30tons of soil on their drive will make them happy :D ;)

Sorry about the link, will link it as suggested infuture

mmmmm

proffesinal fitting eh..

have you use capret rails?

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,531
    There are 4 pull-cords around the room to open/close the curtains. Just like the haircuts of some unpopular people at school in the 80's my curtains are of the 'swish curtain' type.