Forget freeview

chesterfield

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I dont want Freeview, but I would like a blueray player what I can record DVD's and also with a hard drive :) does such a item exsist yet.
Thx
Mike

Hi all
I dont want Freeview, but I would like a blueray player what I can record DVD's and also with a hard drive :) does such a item exsist yet.
Thx
Mike

Maybe best looking here. :) (or maybe not)

Last edited:
Currently, there don't appear to be any sensible single-box solutions to both watching Blu-ray and recording standard-def stuff. Buying a Blu-ray player, and then a second box for recording, is the way to go.

Can you not get a Freeview signal? Without one (or Freesat, or Sky+) recorders aren't very nice to use at all, as you've got no EPG and have to use the old VHS typing-a-time-in method.

Not at all - if you're still to get TV programmes working after switchoff, you need a Freeview decoder on each device that wants to 'watch' it: one for the TV itself, and another for your recorder. Otherwise your recorder can't record one channel while your TV shows you another. Barring your recorder having dual-tuners, anyway.

There is no such item on the market with, or without, freeview. I also doubt we'll see it (except maybe a few years down the line from a low-quality brand).

You're going to be best off getting a Blu-Ray player and hard drive recorder separately. I would recommend going the PVR route (à la Sky+ were you can record two things at once) even though these don't have DVD recorders. My take on it is that if you want to back it up onto DVD it's probably good enough that it's available to buy on DVD (or maybe even Blu-Ray Disc) in higher quality.

Hi all
Thx
Mike

Hi,

Yes Panasonic on June 22nd Freesat +HardDrive +Blue Ray player
about £900.00

Regards

Brian:thumbsup:

Hi,

Yes Panasonic on June 22nd Freesat +HardDrive +Blue Ray player
about £900.00

Regards

Brian:thumbsup:

David has the Panasonic BDR850 on review at the moment, It is a BD recorder, has the same playback features as their standalones and allows recording from two Freesat HD tuners, capture video via SD card (AVCHD) as well as recording to DVD or recompressing material as you see fit using their realtime compressions tools. Plus it has a 500GB HDD. The review should be posted in a few weeks and the product is launched at the end of June. As always Davids review will be in-depth and will cover all the features in detail.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom