Forget BluRay & HD-DVD, the future is VMD…

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tejstar, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    … at least according to a company called NME (New Medium Enterprises). Well, that’s not entirely true, VMD is targeting the Indian & Chinese markets for high-definition players. They have developed a proprietary VMD (Versatile Multilayer Disc) format which they claim they can mass produce at a price point akin to today’s standard def dvd players (i.e. ~£100). I was given a demonstration of this technology at the end of last week and have to say I was quite impressed at their offering.

They plan to use the red laser (and hence keep costs down) with a disc that has 4 layers with future versions having up to 20 layers. The discs they use are transparent, kind of odd when I first looked at one. They say that the transparency allows seemless playback between layers (eradicating the problems many of us have with layer change). By using multi-layers they can store much more data per disc than current discs. They currently have 20-40gb discs in production and they have 50gb in the lab using red laser. Interestingly, they said when blue lasers kick off they should be able to utilise these to get to 100GB!

The presentation was given via a VMD player onto a large projector screen where they had clips from CBS’s HD promo’s. They also gave an extract of Spartacus which they claimed was visually lossless from the 35mm original. The player was not complete and therefore encoding was done via a PC. This seemed a bit dubious to me , but they were adamant that it was from the player. To satisfy my curiousity mid-way through a viewing I hit the eject button and the picture stopped accordingly. At least it wasn’t a fake! Regarding pq, well I've seen a few HD demonstrations and this was up there with the best. In fact, if you put Blu-Ray v HD-DVD v VMD, I think you'd have a hard time trying to spot the 'technically inferior' VMD.

I felt it was quite an interesting proposition. Although the presentation could have been more professional, you have to remember the company is not a giant and its technology is brand new. They will be displaying it at the upcoming CEBIT show if anyone is interested. Did I mention that it is fully backward-compatible too!

2. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    .... and there is more, Holographic Versatile Disc HVD will have lots more...

demonstrated capacities of 200Gb, soon to be 1 terabyte! (50 HD films!!)

and multi-layer this for 4 terabytes! :eek: :eek: and 40 times faster than DVD! (1 G per sec)

more details here - http://www.optware.co.jp/english/what_050203.html

and http://www.inphase-technologies.com/

more than this, it will be also be possible in 'non-rotating' media... wow.. the 'sci-fi' world of the 'data crystal' gets nearer.... :D :D

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    OK - don't buy anything new for the next ten years! :(

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It's almost becoming no fun nowadays. :(

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    It's all well and good having the hardware at hand but without software these technologies become meaningless. This is where Sony has its grip on the market, not only do they develope the hardware but they have enough swing in Hollywood to get the software on the shelves.

6. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be happy with 25gb or the double-layered 50gb that Blue Ray delivers. HD-DVD is around 45gb, which would be a massive improvement over todays paltry 4.5gb.

I hope someone gets a disc on the market tailored for PC's, with 100gb or more storage, that would be a winner!

7. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    well I think a pig flying would have more possibility at the moment!! - and if everything that has been forecast, actually got to the shops, and sold well enough, we would have roomfuls of MiniDisc albums, DVDA albums, SACD albums..... we might even be taking our 'personal helicopter' or 'aquacar' into work!!! they are all here, but......

Nice to have the great developments, yes, but the reality is finance & customer support etc are the real barriers ...

8. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    no replies, I'll just go on... :):)

-- seriously, I would love to get into a time machine, just to see what it would be like next year, whether *anything* has come true, etc....

I am getting sick of seeing one big company after another(hardware & software ones!!) promising devices, giving support(with a getout clause, just in case!!) only a week later to quote delays, problems, new developments as to why they are changing again....

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    Forgot about this thread, haven't heard from NME guys for while...

10. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes, check back here after new years's!!!! :):)

11. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  12. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    HP says "We want easy piracy of Blu-ray to be possible so we can sell lots of Blu-Ray recorders".

At least thats how it sounds to me :devil:

13. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :D :D :D :devil: we all want that, dont we???? :devil: :devil:

------- but seriously, we are all just getting bored waiting..... :(:(

14. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey...i think you are wrong...holographic discs etc...ive seen the origianal Star Trek..in the future everything will be on tapes and we will go back to using push buttons

15. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    well the original start trek never used tapes - they used 'data cards' (I'm not sure of the real name, they may have called it 'taping' but it was a 'piece of plastic' ) that they used to record on...

note that in 1966 when it started, cassete tape was only 3 years old, computers used punched cards, and had only just got a keyboard!! (teletype- looked like an old typewriter!) :eek:

16. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Blue ray is the future IMO for high def it is plenty of space even if in the future other discs hold more we will still have no advantage until ultra high def or holographic films are released.

17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol yes...and the old analogue readout for the time on the navigators console...happy days... you are right about the plastic cards though...Star trek was well ahead of time in their thinking (in general I mean with such things as using flat plastic to record on) back in the 60s...I do remember them mentioning tapes though but I cant remember seeing any lol

18. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The major studios are spending so much time triyng to out-DRM each other the chinese thing may take off before they release anyway.

If they can make it writable it'd be much better of course... Cheap high capacity optical storage. DVD doesn't cut it for a PC backup media... way too small.

19. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    here's another article if you are interested...

http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=428

He questions whether it is really all worth it - paying 1000's for a difference that most people won't even see - a bit like a hifi freak, who will pay 100 to get a special lead to make an improvement only him and other 'super hearing' guys will notice...

and reminds us it took *seven* years for DVD to become mainstream - yes, it was introduced in 1996....

20. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ordinary people will see a difference just like they can see a difference between a high bitrate DVD and a low bitrate DVD. HD is how movies should look with virtually no artifacts.

With the onslaught of LCD/Plasma most displays will now be HD ready so people will be getting HD anyway even if they don't appreciate the gains in PQ.

21. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I thought the future was Broadband streaming......................

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Three rival formats from China. They agree a unified standard in double quick time and we see a good HD player that can be mass produced quickly and easily. Technical specs are ‘on par' with HD DVD and BlueRay, neither of which have even agreed a final spec yet let alone a ‘unified' one yet :( The system here has the capability to go blue as well. Meanwhile holography has openly demonstrated 200 Gb with 1Tb' in the lab'. The clock is ticking for HD DVD and BlueRay and it ain't looking so good for them, their 25 – 50Gb format capability is about what many HD users have used for years now…..5?….so much for progress. By the time it is released it will be out of date, looks like microsoft made a good call with the 360.

23. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I beg to differ, I'd suggest DVD players became available generally in 1997 and could be considered mainstream by 2000, by which time (March 2000) it had become the most successful consumer home entertainment product ever.
    Hardly a seven year take up.

24. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Well with all these bloody formats i think the best bet would be to build a new PC for the home entertainment...

Just have a drive for each of the formats (if possible), then if one dies your still ok ;)

25. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    boksbox, if you read the article, you will see.... bluray is not 'generally available', but there are players in existance...

If you look at the Jan '06 Personal Computer World, there is plenty about PC media centres!! :)