1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget £99 DVD players!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cliff, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    I needed a cheap DVD player for karaoke nights. Nothing fancy - just needs to play CDs, VCDs CD-R/w and DVDs. Having seen all this talk about £99 machnes I was off to Richer Sounds to get a Cyber Home. I tried it and found that on VCDs it frequently stops playing or blanks out for a second or two. Also if too many buttons are pressed it can lock up (surely it doesn't run under Windows!) Also the PCM output does not work with a CDGraphics decoder.
    I took it back and was offered an LG for $119. Man in shop said it worked better than the Cyberhome which was known to have problems with VCDs.
    In fact the LG didn't play VCDs at all and stripped off the graphics info from the PCM data stream.
    Took it back and got money back. Friendly service from Richer Sounds BTY.
    Next to Sevenoaks. This time a Pioneer 343 for £169. - with an 11 day trial period.
    This worked well and even plays home made VCDs. I'll keep it.

The moral is "If you buy cheap you get cheap!"

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Cyber Home ADL 528 is known to have problems with VCDs.

However, this is no reason to write off what is a very competent DVD player. For £100 what do you expect? Your money buys an awful lot with machines like the Cyber Home. If you are looking for more and more specific capabilities such as perfect VCD playback, then forget about it. You're not even being targeted by this player. But if you're after a decent, low price, high quality value DVD player then don't be put off by the fact it can't handle VCDs very well.

The Cyber Home is targeted at consumers who couldn't care less about VCD playback. They want a decent DVD player for not much money. That's what they get.

3. simon23484uk

simon23484uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted a cheap player mainly for VCDs and found the Dansai for £99 at tesco to be excellent. The only bad point is it only has one scart but for the money it's a bargain! I tried quite a few other, more expensive players by samsung and Hitatch RRP £250, but they did no more than the cheapy. I usually buy branded stuff, SONY TV and video, Tanoy speakers etc., but I really cannot see what you get extra for your money in this instance.:clown:

4. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth,some LG players can be enabled to play vcds.This is done using the supplied remote and works very well
    see http://www.lgdvd.co.uk for info on vcd and multiregion hacks.
    I think the market needs £99 players,but things like disc compatability and reliability are a bit hit or miss.Branded machines tend to have a better backup.

5. lexiedobby

lexiedobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with simon23484uk, the Dansai 852 is an excellent player for the money.

For under £100 you get multiregion capability, macrovision free, with excellent sound and picture....what more do you want!!

The Cyberhome 528 is not nearly as good as the Dansai, it is noisey and does not have the same picture and sound quality, it is also not macrovision free.

:D