1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign Channels available on Sky Digital?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PoochJD, Jul 29, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Folks,

Just got the latest piece of advertising gumph through my letterbox, more commonly known as the Sky TV "SKY GUIDE" monthly magazine.

Normally, I only skip through it, as it really is a complete waste of paper and ink, but one letter on the BACKCHAT letters page caught me eye.

According to Sky, It is possible to get "France2" and "Nile TV" via an ordinary Sky Digital set-top-box, as long as you know the frequencies. Typically, the frequencies aren't mentioned, and I can't locate any other information about these 2 stations, on my normal "non-listed Sky TV channels" website page.

So, do any of you kind folks know if you can get any other Foreign TV channels, bar CZ3 and Abu Dhabi TV, including the two mentioned above?

If so, please would someone be kind enough to post the names and frequency details in this thread?

Thanks ever so much,

Pooch

2. TobyAnscombe

TobyAnscombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just to add to this - Just forked out for a Sky+ install and would like to get some French TV as both my girlfriend and I speak French. Is this possible off a Sky setup?

3. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Get any good quality Satellite mag from your local WHSMith or whatever, turn to the sat listings & it will give you the frequencies of the channels, just type them into your skybox & away ta go !

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Read the $ky FAQ at skydigitalfaq.cjb.net/

Your digibox is limited to only 2 symbol rates (SR) i.e. 22000
    and 27,500
    So you have to choose channels whose multiplex uses 1 of these symbol rates.
    You can see good listings, colour-coded as to which ones are FTA (Free To Air) at www.lyngsat.com (yellow=digital FTA).

Chris Muriel, Manchester (author of Digital Satellite FAQ)

5. TobyAnscombe

TobyAnscombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ok, excuse my ignorance but my sky disk must be pointing at a sat to get a signal does this mean that due to the angle etc i cannot get the other chanels without moving the dish?

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it means you need another sat box :(

The digibox is a bit like an LW radio, ok for a few stations, but all the other channels are on FM! You first need a separate box to receive RTL, RAI e.t.c. and all the other channels which are on frequencies which the digibox can't pick up (like chris said!). Then optimally a second dish, to pick up these other stations while the digibox stays pointed at 28.5E (where the sky-based stations are). Have a look at the FAQ and start from there ...