Ford Service - Mondeo

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my first service through on my Mondeo I got last September. Car is a 60 plate and just under 19k miles now (was 15k when I got it). The last service was July last year.

They called me on Wednesday to book it in and quoted the service charge as £223 for the work to be done, mentioning it was part of the warranty requirement.

So it's booked but it's a bit more than I paid on my 307 XSi i previously had, that came in at £174 inc the MOT charge. Was speaking to my mum last night and she booked her 60 plate Kuga in for it's 25k service at their local dealer and was quoted £158.

So what gives? Should I really be almost 50% more for the same service?

It's true EU law means you can get servicing done anywhere and still keep the warranty, as long as genuine Ford parts are used.
It was done specifically to stop customers feeling bullied into using main dealers.
But I'm not sure you're going to save loads on £223.00, to be honest.
If you've other Ford dealers near, get quotes and play them off each other.
In any business, nothing gets a company excited more than finding out what a competitor is charging and being handed the chance to beat them. :)

Last edited:
It's true EU law means you can get servicing done anywhere and still keep the warranty, as long as genuine Ford parts are used.
It was done specifically to stop customers feeling bullied into using main dealers.
But I'm not sure you're going to save loads on £223.00, to be honest.
If you've other Ford dealers near, get quotes and play them off each other.
In any business, nothing gets a company excited more than finding out what a competitor is charging and being handed the chance to beat them. :)

Well the dealer my mum is going to would be about half an hour away and £70 less. They are a Ford dealer as well.

Think I'll give them a call tomorrow and say I'm not happy on the price and see what they offer.

£70 is a good saving for 30 minutes drive.
Not many people have a dealer within 30 minutes of their house anyway.

Comes down to how valuable your one hour return journey is?

Does it stop you working etc?

Is the first garage closer and you can walk to work and make money, fo other stuff etc.

What model and engine does your Mondeo have?

It's a 1.8 TDCI.

Spoke to the garage on Friday about them being pricey, they said they'd check and called back 10mins later and dropped it to £178.

As easy as that makes me curious where it came from. I'm now expecting something will come up in the service needing done. :rolleyes:

Good point - my Mondeo is well outside warranty but I have a garage that do good work and are honest, get one lined up for when the warranty expires.

Many ford garages are doing servicing deals on cars over 3 years old.
They've obviously noticed people only use them while the cars are under warranty, then go elsewhere, so are trying to win that business back.
If I were keeping the wife's Fiasco (sic), I'd probably stick with the main dealer as they are as handy as any independent.

The thing is I don't mind paying that as it's an annual amount I can budget. My previous car got a full service each year and most time only needed a bulb or a wiper replaced.

As long as I don't need anything pricey then that's ok. Although the rubber around the drivers door is cracking a tad from where my belt or jacket must rub against it sometimes.

I just phoned the local Main dealer, as our lease Fiesta is technically due a service sometime in August.
£259 they want, for a car that's barely done 7000 miles since the last service.
And a car I'd be handing back within days of getting it done.
Needless to say, I'm not bothering, I'm going to return it to the lease company and take a chance/argue the toss.
Their T+C only state the service record should be up to date, which it is.
There's nothing I can see about a service being 'imminent' when you return the car.

I just phoned the local Main dealer, as our lease Fiesta is technically due a service sometime in August.
£259 they want, for a car that's barely done 7000 miles since the last service.
And a car I'd be handing back within days of getting it done.
Needless to say, I'm not bothering, I'm going to return it to the lease company and take a chance/argue the toss.
Their T+C only state the service record should be up to date, which it is.
There's nothing I can see about a service being 'imminent' when you return the car.

Play dumb and if they raise it say you assumed they would service the car before it moves on as standard :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom