Quantcast

Ford Mustang Mach-E

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Top Gear review here of the new Ford EV.

Some competition for the Model S. Seems a nice enough car although I'd still probably prefer the Tesla.
Too expensive. Its not going to be out until 2021?
The model Y will not be far behind it. I imagine BMW, Merc and other luxury car brands will have similar cars for a similar price.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
It is only $43K that is cheap compared to Tesla or am I missing something?

I like it and for that kind of money, I could be interested. But it won't succeed if you have to wait until 2021. It will be several years behind everyone else. There is no point announcing this.

gangzoom

It is only $43K that is cheap compared to Tesla or am I missing something?
Looks like UK base price is £40k.

If this car had been more expensive than a Tesla Ford would have really fluffed it.

Pricing is relevant to the rest of your product line, £40k is a big amount of cash to spend on a Ford bare in mind the Fiesta is Fords bread and butter in Europe, I suspect the Mustang name is there for the pricing justification alone. £40k is the cheapest Tesla you can buy, Ford and Tesla are targeting very different consumer markets.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Oh you are too predictable, that is nothing like a Fiesta. And there are way more expensive Fords as well.

Yes Tesla was with the S and X, not so sure with the newer models.

gangzoom

Which Fords have a higher base price than the Mach E?

At £40k starting it is already the one of the most expensive vehicles Ford sells in the UK, unless you count the GT40 which am not sure is currently in production?

So why is it a surprise its cheaper than a Tesla? Even back in 2016 a base Model X was £64k, Tesla have always been expensive, and remain so. A equivalent priced/spec Model Y to the £50k Mach E will be around £65-70k, but am not sure that is going to be a surprise to anyone?

A Hyundai EV is also cheaper than a Tesla, and an Audi/Merc EV similar priced, with a Porsche EV more expensive than the rest. Just like how a combustion Hyundai is cheaper than a combustion Porsche, the price is set to the appropriate market segment.

What would be news is if the BMW i4 comes in at sub £40k.

Last edited:

IronGiant

The ICE Mustang starts from £37,435...

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
@gangzoom I missed that you said base price. Base price the normal mustang is much more expensive in the rest of Europe but oddly not in the UK. But granted I wasn't looking at the base price and specced up other models to comparable levels, and did include models like the Explorer, Expedition, GT40. Which may not be on sale in the UK but are in the rest of Europe.

gangzoom

Ford's bread and butter in the Fiesta and Focus, a top spec Focus ST with every option box ticked is £34K that's £6K cheaper than the base Mach E, and that's before dealer discounts.

My point was the Mach E is already so expensive its not going to generate sales from current Ford customers. This means Ford has to go after customers currently looking at brands like Tesla/Audi/BMW/Merc.

As much as we try to be objective, us humans beings make decisions based on subjectives things like brand image, expectations, emotions. A Ford product priced the same as a Tesla/Audi/BMW/Merc hasn't got a chance of taking sales away from those brands. The only way Ford can compete is on price, offer a product with better/same spec but for cheaper price, and the Mach E has a reasonable chance of stealing customers from other brands.

MadScientist

Probably why it hasn't got a Ford badge on it. As a long time Audi, Mercedes driver, I'd definitely consider it if it gets good reviews. BTW, Tesla build quality is nowhere near the German makes.

lovegroova

The Mach E is £2k more than the regular Mustang, according to Ford's UK website. So it's not really excessively priced, given the lower running costs.

Ford don't sell many Mustangs here, and won't sell many Mach Es either, but they can do as they have a steady, solid, profitable business already. this is some icing on the cake.

the technology will eventually flow down the range into their excellent smaller cars.

Top Bottom