Ford Focus Stereo Removal - Right tools?

berti_quinlan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a Ford Focus '56 plate.
I wanted to pull out the stereo to see if there was a 3.5mm headphone jack in the back for auxillary input ( for the mp3 player).

Car Stereo Fitting | Car Stereo Removal | Remove Car Stereo Advice | Fit Car Stereo Help

I bought the above removal keys, but when i put them in the slots, the got jammed and i managed to get all but 1 out.
has anyone else used these and were they successful?
I not have a stereo with a key hanging out of it!
Any advice, or experience?

I had to take out the stereo on my '06 Focus ST-3, to fit my Parrot bluetooth kit. I also bought the right tools for the job, but OMG it was a :censored:. I had loads of trouble getting the unit out, and yes the tools got jammed many times.

In the end I managed to get it out, but you need a LOT of patience, and a healthy dose of trial and error! :(

Best of luck.

Ian.

Save yourself some grief, there will not be a socket on the back. The best you can hope for is a socket in the glovebox. If there is not one then get yourself a kit from Ford and then worry about getting the head unit out.

No socket?
Even though the stereo has a aux button on it?
Thats a massive disappointment!
boo....

I was told by the dealer that you can fit the aux socket as an aftermarket option - but I never thought having the socket in the glovebox was useful anyway. I decided it would be better to replace the stereo with something that did what I wanted.

Removing the 6000CD is not as hard as people (including my dealer!) sometimes think, although without the right tricks it would be a pig.

You absolutely need the proper keys, but I got mine for £1.99 for 4 on eBay. Search for PC5-132 Stereo Release Keys.

Insert the keys in the flat holes - flat side of key outwards. The top ones go in a little more than the bottom. Feel for the clicks as they engage. Once they are in you can't get them out again until the stereo is out of the dash! The top ones should be rigid. The trick is to push the bottom keys slightly outward against the springs and pull the bottom of the stereo out. Then you can pull the top out a bit and so on until the whole thing is clear. Then notice the metal springs on the side of the stereo that you push down to release the little tags that are holding the keys in place.

The white electrical connector just pulls free. The black one requires you to press a tab and swing a small "handle" up and over to release it. Look for the round hinges on the side to see what I mean.

5 minutes work! :thumbsup:

I was told by the dealer that you can fit the aux socket as an aftermarket option - but I never thought having the socket in the glovebox was useful anyway. I decided it would be better to replace the stereo with something that did what I wanted.

Removing the 6000CD is not as hard as people (including my dealer!) sometimes think, although without the right tricks it would be a pig.

You absolutely need the proper keys, but I got mine for £1.99 for 4 on eBay. Search for PC5-132 Stereo Release Keys.

Insert the keys in the flat holes - flat side of key outwards. The top ones go in a little more than the bottom. Feel for the clicks as they engage. Once they are in you can't get them out again until the stereo is out of the dash! The top ones should be rigid. The trick is to push the bottom keys slightly outward against the springs and pull the bottom of the stereo out. Then you can pull the top out a bit and so on until the whole thing is clear. Then notice the metal springs on the side of the stereo that you push down to release the little tags that are holding the keys in place.

The white electrical connector just pulls free. The black one requires you to press a tab and swing a small "handle" up and over to release it. Look for the round hinges on the side to see what I mean.

5 minutes work! :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the helpful guide I am going to buy four of the keys now...

I have a 09 Focus ZETEC which comes with the 6000 stereo... I was thinking of replacing it with the Sony unit with Bluetooth, do you know if the unit is a straight swap and if Bluetooth is integrated into the unit (SO basically plug the new unit in and away I go). Also does the Sony bluetooth unit support A2DP streaming?

Many thanks

09 is the new model right? - I guess that if the stereo is the same the fixings are the same.

I fitted a Sony (but not a Bluetooth). Sony seem to have a proprietary socket on the back and they supplied (both times I bought Sony) an adaptor lead to take their socket to an ISO socket. Then I bought another adaptor from Halfords to take Ford's proprietary plug to the ISO socket on the end of Sony's adaptor :eek:

It works fine, but there is no connection to the Ford remote controls on the sterring wheel.

I can't advise on the Bluetooth - I would have thought that the stereo bluetooth is entirely self-contained and will work when the stereo works. No idea about the streaming - sorry.

Tim.

TP, just to confirm... you have a 09 etc.. Focus and in it you had a 6000 stereo that you replaced with a Sony... the Focus proprietary connector had to be connected to an ISO adaptor before it could be connected to the Sony headunit?... what a messy way of doing it, I'm surprised the Focus isn't wired more universally and that the steering column controls don't work.

No - my Focus is 56 plate with the 6000CD stereo. That's why I was asking whether yours was the new model. I imagine that if the stereo is the same the fixings must be the same - but I don't know.

Otherwise yes to your query: Sony Unit --> Sony to ISO cable (supplied with Sony stereo) --> ISO to Ford cable (bought from Halfords) --> Ford plug on end of dash harness.

Last edited:
TP, just to confirm... you have a 09 etc.. Focus and in it you had a 6000 stereo that you replaced with a Sony... the Focus proprietary connector had to be connected to an ISO adaptor before it could be connected to the Sony headunit?... what a messy way of doing it, I'm surprised the Focus isn't wired more universally and that the steering column controls don't work.

You need to get the steering wheel control version of the ISO lead... The standard one only interfaces with the default connection...

On a side note, I got a Sony 6CD DAB unit to replace my existing Sony single CD unit and was wondering if I will need a seperate arial for the DAB or will one of those DAB signal splitter will work...

I have had the same problem. I think I have put the keys in a way where I cannot pull them out.

Can anyone please advise in layman terms how to insert the keys, I havent done the bottom ones yet, so am hoping I can still pull it out

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom