Quantcast

Ford Focus Exhaust

ST8UDDERZ

Formerly 'S7RUDD3RZ'
I have a 54 plate Ford Focus 1.6 Auto.
The problem i have is the bracket on the exhaust has broken (in the middle) which then is causing strain on the back part of the exhaust, can a new one be welded back on. I have had a quote at getting a new exhaust but it works out to be more than the car is worth as the cat is built into the exhaust or something along those lines.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
If it's just the bracket snapped then yes this can be welded back on. Any back street garage with a mig welder can do this in minutes for you.

ST8UDDERZ

Formerly 'S7RUDD3RZ'
If it's just the bracket snapped then yes this can be welded back on. Any back street garage with a mig welder can do this in minutes for you.
thank you, much appreciated.
As you can probably tell, i am not much of a car person:)

nheather

Distinguished Member
Yes, but as @un1eash says, go to an independent garage with no vested interest in selling you a new exhaust - don't take it to an exhaust dealer, they'll tell you it can't be done and offer up a price for a new exhaust.

Cheers,

Nigel

ST8UDDERZ

Formerly 'S7RUDD3RZ'
Yes, but as @un1eash says, go to an independent garage with no vested interest in selling you a new exhaust - don't take it to an exhaust dealer, they'll tell you it can't be done and offer up a price for a new exhaust.

Cheers,

Nigel
I took it to kwik fit a few weeks ago and they said it would cost £300 plus to get it done.
Fair play to them though, they did say i would be better off to do a bodge job on it though:smashin:

nheather

Distinguished Member
I took it to kwik fit a few weeks ago and they said it would cost £300 plus to get it done.
Fair play to them though, they did say i would be better off to do a bodge job on it though:smashin:
It may not be a bodge job - if the exhaust is fine and it is just the hanger that has snapped then welding on a new bracket is a perfectly legitimate repair. To be fair to Kwik Fit though, they are in the business of selling exhausts plus they may not have the facilities to do a welded repair.

Cheers,

Nigel

ST8UDDERZ

Formerly 'S7RUDD3RZ'
Anyone have an idea what i should be looking for. I do not have a clue. I keep coming up with rubber mounts fot the exhaust

IronGiant

Hard to tell without seeing a photo of the exhaust where the hanger is missing, but if you can clamp that around the pipe close enough to the original and still reach the mounting point on the floor pan, then could be a really cheap fix. I've no idea what an MOT tester would make of it though.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Where are you located? You shouldn't need to buy anything if it's just a snapped bracket. Any back street garage will sort you out.

Just seen your in Farnham, no help then as I know a few places in Leicester that would of sorted it quick.

Distinguished Member
You don't need any parts, the bracket usually snaps off at the weld on the pipe (blue circle) and just requires a weld to re secure. If you don't want to spend anything, then a wire coat hanger bent around the pipe and onto the area marked in red will do just as good a job.
sketch-1582823083995.jpg

Pic is of a Mondeo but should suffice.

I would have thought a small independent garage with MoT station could easily fix that. One I used in Hemel Hempstead did that for me to patch it up. I think it was no more than £30 inc VaT if I recall correctly.

ST8UDDERZ

Formerly 'S7RUDD3RZ'
Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated. Ill tske a good look st it over the weekend and see if i can sort it myself.