Ford Focus Cmax problems....

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by bigval, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bigval

bigval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just wondering if anyone on here has some good engine knowledge......

Focus cmax 1.8LX

I started to have engine cut outs a couple of times a week now.

What I notice is that when I try to start up sometimes it tries and stutters and stops. So I turn off ignition and start again. Sometimes it stutters and then starts up and revs ok. When I start to drive it I seem to get to about 3000rpm in first or 2nd gear and the power sort of cuts off. This only seems to happen when it stutters to start up.

I can go days where it starts up first or 2nd time and I can get past the 3000rpm and up through the gears, once I get going I know its not going to cut out.

When it cuts out, the power just goes and I have to stumble to a safe place to pull up and switch engine off and wait a few mins and start again. usually it goes ok after that. If I start it up again too soon it just does it again and eventually puts on the engine management light. But once I rest a few mins and start up it can go for days. And eventually the engine management light goes off.

This has got me feeling uncomfortable when I set off on journeys until I get to a certain speed and I know its not going to cut out.

Sorry to blab on but I find it hard to explain.

Could it be a starter problem? I just seems that the engine doesnt seem to be firing enough to take it up through the revs.

I am sure you can all guess I am not the most technical person about :)

I just want some idea of what it can be.

Thanks for looking in and I appreciate any help .......

2. mickstreet

mickstreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Do you have it serviced at all? Its not a starter problem, once the engine is going the starter doesn't serve any purpose. Basically it you are having running problems like that it comes down to 2 things, either a fuel problem or a spark problem. Start with the cheapest and change the spark plugs, my guess is that this will sort it. If not you need to look at HT leads, coil packs possibly fuel filter.... I guess I'm loosing you at this point though.
    Not sure what access is like but have a go at changing the plugs, it really is easy just make sure you mark the leads up and don't get the new plugs cross threaded. Other than that its a piece of cake and if you sort it out yourself I'm sure you will get a lot of satisfaction from it!:thumbsup:

3. bigval

bigval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Serviced yearly. It had this problem before the last service which was 10 months ago. It just seems to have gradually got worse.

I am assuming the sparks were replaced as it said on the invoice......or were they?

4. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Does it start fine from cold but cut out when warm?

Liam

5. bigval

bigval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    it starts fine most times, just when it has problems firing up it seems to not be firing properly and cuts out when I get 3000 revs or so.
    Dont think it matters if warm or cold

6. gamingboy

gamingboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I'd hazard a guess at coil pack, but then you said you had it before the service, so try the filters first. Fuel and air filters are only a few quid from your local motor factors.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    any warning lights at all? Could be lamba sensor or other similar electro gizmo that kicks in at 3k rpm

8. sburjek

sburjek
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have the same problems... YOu maybe found a sollution? Thanks in advance :)