Ford C-Max Brake Lamp Bulb question

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I posted this in the motoring forum but I think there’s not a lot of activity in there compared to here? Can a mod close my thread in motoring please if necessary? Thanks.

I’m not an expert when it comes to cars so was hoping someone on here would be kind enough to help me!

My car - a Ford C Max Grand - has the message: Brake Lamp Bulb fault

I’ve checked the brake lights and my right sided brake light is gone/doesn’t come on.

Before I buy it, can anyone please confirm/advise that the following bulb is the correct one:

CFF82129-6F55-4B81-9E04-76B98BE6CD69.jpeg

My last experience of changing a bulb didn‘t go well - in terms of the bulb that was sold to me (at GT shop) was a faulty one that possibly someone else had returned, and I had to convince the shop that I hadn’t swapped out the new one and give them the dodgy one back for a refund! :D

Thanks!

camcroft

Do you have your car serviced by a Ford dealer. I have my Golf serviced by a VW dealer and I find them very helpful for things like this as I am a regular customer of theirs I sometime just pay for the bulb and they fit it for free.. It only takes them a few minutes anyway. Just a thought and its their speciality Fords that is.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Do you have your car serviced by a Ford dealer. I have my Golf serviced by a VW dealer and I find them very helpful for things like this as I am a regular customer of theirs I sometime just pay for the bulb and they fit it for free.. It only takes them a few minutes anyway. Just a thought and its their speciality Fords that is.

I don’t use a Ford Dealer but thanks for the suggestion. When I had a VW, the quotes from VW servicing for work was always twice (or more) the cost of my local garage so it’s put me off using main dealers.

John7

The car's handbook should list the specs of all the replaceable bulbs somwhere in it. Typically, a brake light bulb would be 21 Watts..........

Halfords offer a fitting service for bulbs if you're worried about changing it yourself

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
You're asking a lot without a model year. I'd suggest checking here but better still, just pull the duff one first.

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Ok thanks for the replies. :)

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Seems to be a C-Max specific forum that might be worth checking, in case it's one of those that require the hands of a five-year-old child to access, like my Polo.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
You're asking a lot without a model year. I'd suggest checking here but better still, just pull the duff one first.

2013 model Ford Grand C-Max

Pretty sure Halfords will fit them for around £8?! Might be worth a shot if this is outside of your comfort zone….

Or there’s always YouTube…

Thanks for this - I hadn’t thought of Halfords.

I did look on YouTube and seems straightforward but wanted to make sure I got the right bulb as I was scarred by previous bulb shenanigans as mentioned. :D

The bulb on Europarts doesn’t look like the right one - I phoned them up and the guy on the other end just said it would be the right one, but I suspected that he didn‘t know or particularly care, and was just humouring me.

There’s a video by Ford where the bulb looks different to the one sold by Europarts (even though I input the requisite details):

1018934B-2A0E-4B4C-A9C0-372C87E88249.jpeg

This looks like the brake light bulbs that Halfords supply:

380 P21/5W Car Bulb +25 percent Longer Life Halfords Twin Pack | Halfords UK

The spec info also corresponds to what is in the car manual:

C34EBE81-E201-4F82-9C38-13BC417FEC16.jpeg

I’m going to change it myself as Halfords want £16 to install it!

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

John7

Good luck! Just be aware that it is a dual filament bulb (brake and tail). Don't be one of those numpties who insert it the wrong way round causing all their lights to dim or flicker when they apply the brakes! I'm sure you won't :lesson:

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
2013 model Ford Grand C-Max

Thanks for this - I hadn’t thought of Halfords.

I did look on YouTube and seems straightforward but wanted to make sure I got the right bulb as I was scarred by previous bulb shenanigans as mentioned. :D

The bulb on Europarts doesn’t look like the right one - I phoned them up and the guy on the other end just said it would be the right one, but I suspected that he didn‘t know or particularly care, and was just humouring me.

There’s a video by Ford where the bulb looks different to the one sold by Europarts (even though I input the requisite details):

View attachment 1578555

This looks like the brake light bulbs that Halfords supply:

380 P21/5W Car Bulb +25 percent Longer Life Halfords Twin Pack | Halfords UK

The spec info also corresponds to what is in the car manual:

View attachment 1578556

I’m going to change it myself as Halfords want £16 to install it!

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:
That's a standard stop tail light. It has offset pins, make sure you get the positioning right, don't force the bulb, this could indicate the bulb is out. If you do make a mistake the brake filament will illuminate instead of the side light and the side light instead of the brake light.

If possible once fitted, have someone behind the vehicle to check the lights.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Thanks again for everyone’s input. I went to Halfords and bought a 2 pack brake light bulbs for £4.99. It was really easy to change and fit and saved myself £16 for 5-10 minutes work. :D

FF1FD929-FF3D-407E-A595-81E8589C97A4.jpeg

86236310-27D0-4C2D-8DC0-6510F09847EA.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom