1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forcing DVI output on a Radeon?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cj, Jun 15, 2004.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Does anyone know how to force a Radeon 9800/WinXP to output via DVI, even when WinXP thinks there is no device connected, and there is nothing connected to the analogue VGA?

Thanks,

Colin

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Don't think it can be done. I'm assuming you had something connected to the DVI but not switched on, so it wasn't recognised at boot time ? I have problems with that - I'll often boot the pc with a projector connected to the PC but not switched on - so it doesn't recognise there as being a device connected, and can't force detection.

I suspect it's a safety feature - you're not supposed to 'hot-plug' dvi connections (i.e. both devices should be off, and not grounded when you make the connection). Having fritzed one graphics card by not following those guidelines, I can see where they're coming from. But the blue sparks you get when you do it are pretty ;)

3. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I'm actually trying to connect the DVI out to my scaler (for pass through). As the scaler is a dumb device, WinXP/ATI conveniently decide that there is no device connected so shuts off the DVI output. Apparently, you can force the DVI output on the NVidia cards - was wondering if there's a workaround for the Radeons?

4. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CJ

Might be a problem with your PM box, as I've replied 3 times to your last PM.

Cheers Dave

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,486