Forced upgrade from Hi8 - advice please?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by jchm, Apr 7, 2002.

1. jchm

jchm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Due to the recent sad death of my long-serving Sony TR705 Hi8 camcorder, I need to get a replacement.

I have a collection of around 100 Hi8 tapes which I can't play back now.

Do I have to get a Digital 8 machine, or is there any other way of copying my old collection onto my PC if I bought a DV camcorder?

My technical knowledge of this stuff is pretty limited, and before I splash out the best part of a grand, I would welcome comments on my options.

Cheers
    John

2. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,
    I believe that the Digital 8 camcorders produce every bit as good a quality video as the DV cameras on the market. They are obviously a little larger, and heavier, but that can be an advantage, rather than a disadvantage, as I do have strong views about the present trend towards "small and light" vs, stability. - I am rather "shaky" these days, and do have difficulty holding a lightweight cam steady.
    With a Digital 8 camcorder, you will still be able to proccess your analogue hi8 tapes --- the best of both worlds.
    The most popular of the Digital 8 camcorders are the Sony models, and I think it would be wise of you to choose a model from their range. Here is one worth consideration, ---

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/SonyTRV620.html

Good luck, --- Alan.