1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forced to buy TV from Powerhouse so need help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by loz1, Jan 23, 2003.

1. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

First post from me but please don't let that put you off as I could do with some help.

Just before xmas my 3 year old Sony 32" widescreen went on the blink. Luckily :D I had taken out 5 years extended warranty and as it was unrepairable I now find myself with £1,150 to get a new TV but unfortunately only from Powerhouse (wish I'd known this at the time !). I can go above £1,150 and pay the excess but if I go below I lose the difference. They won't even bundle in any extras like a video recorder or DVD player - the meanies. :mad:

Now I moved house over xmas and was thinking of spoiling myself and getting a Plasma. I am also looking for a 28" TV (32" would be too big) for the kitchen/dining area to primarily play my PS2 on as well as for her indoors to watch normal TV (no sky or DVD). I've taken a look at what 28" TV's Powerhouse have on offer and the comments on this site and it's either the Sony KV28FX66 at £899.99 or the Philips 28PW9617C at £1199.99 but with all the Philips problems I think the Sony is the best choice even if it's the make that blew up on me last time. The thing is I feel gutted at the thought of losing the £250. Another option would be to buy the Plasma from Powerhouse and pay the difference but they're prices are expensive especially in regards to Plasma extended guarantees (£1600 for another 4 years). They won't price match unless I'm paying all cash which in other words means they know I've got to buy a TV from them so why do me any favours. They did kindly offer me 10% off a Plasma and 28" if I bought them both from them but I'm led to believe JL offer 5 year free guarantee on all plasmas so its not worth it.

I'm tempted to pay the extra £50 and go for the KV32FX66 which they sell for £1200 and then forget the Plasma all together and get the 28" from someone else but I really did like the thought of putting one over on my dad with the plasma plus it really would look good in the house - honest!.

Any thoughts ? I assume that the FX66 has good sound and graphics when playing PS2 games on it.:confused:

2. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mate

I just wanted to say as you mentioned the Phillips 9617 that even though i totally understand what the people are saying about this set that it is an excellent tv .

I have this TV and have never had the lines mentioned in the thread thats not to say its not happening with others and I hope they get it sorted but with the possible exception of B and O you can do a search on most tvs here and people will report problems casue thats what this forum is mostly about .

prob not that much help I just think you should check it out and not dismiss it due to the current thread going on as its a great set for games I have GC X box and PS2 on mine as the 4 scarts are a great help .

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Lawrence,

what a prob you've got!

All i can say is I wouldn't go for the KV28FX66 - not only do you waste £250 of you cash, but you can get this telly for around £700 these days so at £899 (or even £1,150!) powerhouse is a bit pricey.

I have a KV28FX66 on order from unbeatable.co.uk and will post my thoughts on this forum once I have received it.

4. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Savage - I was impressed with the 4 scarts on the Philips even if I don't see myself using many of them at the moment. Who knows what will happen if I get the Plasma. Probably end up buying all new equipment for it and attach all the old stuff to the Philips. I assume only 2 of the scarts are RGB. Playing games with the in-built dolby digital 5.1 is another added bonus.

As the big price difference between them is not an issue then I think I'll order the Philips. I'd be a fool not to really and if I get any problems with it I can always send it back.

Good luck with the Sony, Andrew !

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can't you get them to price match a set from a competitor, before informing them you are paying with one of their vouchers?

Most companies will price match these days to get the buisness?

6. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    loz

why dont you look at the 32 inch toshiba zd26 , I think the price is reasonable around 1000 its got component input. the philips is good as savage pointed out and has the 5.1 but then your might be risking getting the lines.

Im waiting to see the jvc 32d25 model with 1250 lines resolution which should be here in my country soon hope it is good.

but the toshiba is very impressive. With the difference depending on how much that company has it you can buy a dvd player.

7. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to get a pricematch but to no avail. I think powerhouse have a department dealing specifically with insurance claims and you have to ring them with the model details once you've made your mind up. Apparently the contract they have with the insurance firm is to provide a replacement TV and thats it. They have in-store package deals where you get DVD's and Video's thrown in but they would only give me the TV if I chose one of these. It just shows that you need to read the small print before you sign one of these extended warranty deals.

I haven't got the room for a 32" in the kitchen area so unless I don't bother with the Plasma and buy a 32" for the lounge then the toshiba is no good. The JVC does sound good but there is no sign of Powerhouse supplying it in the near future.

So Philips it is (fingers crossed). Time to look at Plasma's for the lounge I think. I'm getting married this year so maybe I could stick it on the wedding list !

8. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32" tosh zp32 18 is the same width and similar depth to most 28".