1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forced NTSC SIGNAL PF9986?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Soren, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Soren

Soren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of a way to force the pf9986 to output in ntsc signal (if it's not told to do so by my external equipm.)? I know that it usually detects it by itself, but playing foreign dvds by ps2 through composite on the side just gives me the sound and a grey screen. In picture in picture mode and split screen I do get the picture from the dvd. But in full screen, just grey screen (but sound).
    So figured my tv is not getting the signal to show ntsc?

Regards,
    Soren

Ps. I have a bit more detailed descp. of the problem in a previous thread with no replies (on the link below), maybe that will help? Cheers! Hope I can get help! :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187271&page=20&pp=15

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Soren

I can not test the NTSC output from my PS2 as it has not been chipped. However I have fed an NTSC composite signal from my DVD player to the side input on the 9986 and it works without any problem.

If the TV does not recognise the signal you normally get a blue screen and not a grey one. If you can I would try and feed the signal into another TV and see if that works OK.

To get better pictures from your PS2 I would suggest you invest in an S-video cable or a SCART cable would be even better!

Good luck

Dave

3. Soren

Soren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Steeled! Odd with my grey screen then... I did feed it to my small 17" LG flat screen without any similar problems. Thanks for the feedback! It you can get an ntsc signal from a dvd player through the side I guess it is my ps2 not asking for the correct signal (but then it should be blue right..?) I'll buy a Scart next month and hopefully get past in this way! :) Cheers!
    If anyone has info on making the tv output ntsc against it's will :) I'd still like to try this!
    Regards, Soren

4. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Soren

To be clear it is not the TV that needs to output an NTSC signal. The TV receives the signal output by the PS2. The TV will automatically detect in which format the signal is. As I said before if the signal is not recognised then you normally get a blue screen. From the menus there is no way to force the TV to try and decode the signal in a particular format. All you have is the auto-detect.

As a matter of interest. Do you get a picture if you play a region 2 DVD? Does it work OK with PAL games? It might be worth having a look at your system settings and change the "component video" option to RGB.

Good luck

Dave