For what reasons are you buying a PS3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
I will be buying for:

The Games mainly (so no preorder util I can see what it can do)
also I am interested using is as a unit to store MP3s/photos etc to be viewed/listened to on the TV etc.
Not too sure about BR movies yet, however, if the PS3 can upscale DVDs well and out put in a high quality on a HD TV then I may consider buying early.

jay_brown55 said:
If we took notice of all the 'bad press' none of us would have bought a 360.
I lost count of the number of people who said "don't buy an Xbox360 it will scratch discs / overheat / burn your house down / ruin your TV / sleep with your wife". None of which has happened. Yet. Keeping an eye on the missus though:cool:

too true. If we all listened to bad press, we wouldn't be here now, as according to the media, the internet is an evil place full of child abusers etc lol.

BLIND FAITH....If that can be a good thing, I didnt get a 360 due to fact I was happy with my ps2,pc etc but now I feel timing is right to step up and hopefully get one around launch time. The 360 is a good bit of kit but most people will see the 'The next big thing' and will go for it as thats the natural progression of things such as cars, clothes etc. I'm interested in in the BRplayer but at the end of the day it's a bonus as the price tag I personally beleive is the going rate for a decent console(i know yet to be confirmed) if you look at cost of consoles over the years.

Mad Johnny said:
the price tag I personally beleive is the going rate for a decent console(i know yet to be confirmed) if you look at cost of consoles over the years.

surely by your reasoning the 360 is an ultra bargain at under £300?

The PS3 is around a 30% mark up on the average cost of consoles over the average price (which is around the £300 mark). When you compare it to consoles released in recent times (last couple of generations) then it is expensive. There's a couple of graphs here that show the comparative price of consoles over the years.

If you look at the consoles that have launched around or above the price of the PS3 then (apart from the first consoles which were comparatively very expensive due to them being the first consoles) none have really been a success. I guess the Neo Geo was more of a Niche console anyway as it was just ridiculously expensive at the time and CDi, 3D0 and Saturn all pretty much flopped. The Saturn had some success in Japan but was generally destroyed by the Playstation. It's interesting to see that the price gap between 360 and PS3 kind of mirrors the gap between PS1 & Saturn (apart from the fact that it's even bigger!).

Where have I been? I'd better get back to 'Console nursery' and thanks for enlightening me,But as I stated I personally beleive it's good price for a decent console and maybe should'nt have compared it with previous models on limited info and for my reasoning the 360 is a bargain but for the extra £125 or so I think It's worth the money assuming the under £300 price for the 360 includes all apps to match the ps3 specs. And slightly off the point I hear Sony maybe making some poss. important announcements this coming week.

Ive been a console freak for years.. but the importance of buying a new house means I'll be getting a PS3 midway through next year at the earliest. Its not a priority for me at the moment.

Mad Johnny said:
And slightly off the point I hear Sony maybe making some poss. important announcements this coming week.

yeah i already know this one...

our blu ray drives in our sony vaio laptops now actually READ blu ray discs, we're so clever!

There is something about the PS3 which is tempting me slightly.

I have a multiregion Denon 1920 player but all of my discs except maybe 10 are region 2. If i sold those and the player the money could go towards a PS3.

As it is meant to be almost silent and a next gen movie player i assume it will upscale normal dvd's to 720p and 1080i.

As well as that it's meant to have Linux which could be good as all i do on a PC is a little web browsing and word documents. If it can do these then that's great

I just feel that it could replace my Computer and Denon DVD Player, although i am not sure whether it can replace my XBOX 360.

As a real technology freak, i must amit the PS3 seems like it can do alot for the money. But i need to be convinced more about the games and whether Blue-Ray will succeed as a format

Then main reason for me is the Japanese support but i doubt i will get one at launch though as ive not seen anything about a decent rpg being available from day one. As soon as a title such as Final Fantasy Xiii, Dragon Quest 9 or Rogue Galaxy 2 is available though i will get one straight away as usually its the release of a big title that i can't play elsewhere which persuades me to part with my money.

Blu-Ray does interest me as well as i have a HD tv and so i would try out the films but its not realy a deciding factor for me.

This is it for me. Because i have a HDTV and are really into my movies, the PS3 sounds like a good investment for me.

Still worried that the Blue-Ray format won't take off though.

Hopefully some more info will come our way next Monday at the Germany Games show

lee_c00per said:
I am just curious as to what reasons people intend to buy a PS3? Is it the games, the blue-ray drive or something else.

Hasn't all the bad press and cancelled games put you off buying the machine

The reason i ask is as a 360 owner whether the PS3 is better and cheaper after all when you consider a Premium 360, WIFI Adapter, and HD-DVD Drive is likely to cost for than a PS3 and yet the PS3 also had Internal BD,wifi, memory card slot and a 40GB bigger Hard drive.

Also how far is the PS3 going to go in order to replace the PC, using Linux?

Finally, there hasn't been much more info lately on the PS3, so are there any events taking place soon where SONY will show off EVERYTHING the PS3 can do

It's all of the above. Whilst people bitch about the price, a PS3 Premium is cheaper than a XBox360 Premium with Wifi and HD-DVD.

I will be using it to watch HD movies on my Paanasonic TH42-PX60 plasma via HMDI, You can also bet it will be quieter than a XBox360. Any talk of cancelled games, is just XBox fanboys blowing off. What cancelled games? (links please). The bad press has no basis, as the console has not been released yet, but Sony have no helped themselves. Finally it's a Playstation brand with all the features needed for truly next gen gaming, how can it not win?

Finally it's a Playstation brand with all the features needed for truly next gen gaming, how can it not win?
Because it costs £400+? :rolleyes: Compared to the competition that costs (well) under £300.

Intial buyers will be techie/gaming buffs anyway the world over and £425 for premium is good value for what you get. When initial demand has been met, I'm sure price will drop before next Christmas.

Intial buyers will be techie/gaming buffs anyway the world over and £425 for premium is good value for what you get. When initial demand has been met, I'm sure price will drop before next Christmas.
It will need to plummet IMHO. If it's not £250 by Christmas 2007 I can see it struggling against the 360 and Wii for mass market appeal.

Rasczak said:
It will need to plummet IMHO. If it's not £250 by Christmas 2007 I can see it struggling against the 360 and Wii for mass market appeal.

I dunno, people have no problems spending a lot more money on desirbable brand clothes over other brands, so I can see a lot of people just spending the extra just because its a playstation, and thats whats "cool".

i'll be getting a ps3 at some point, just because i always end up getting all consoles at some point in their life span, alot of people mention the price point and yes the 360 is cheaper, and to alot of casual gamers, parents etc who go looking for console will pcik up the cheaper 360, however as someone mentioned if you want wi-fi adaptor, external hd-dvd drive then you'll be looking at a price point similar to the ps3. The more you get the more you pay, however we live in a world where people want things for as cheap as they can get them, and microsoft were smarter in giving the consumer choices. If sony would have done a similar thing e.g buy a core or premium, and price it at a similar price to the 360, then have external blu-ray drive etc, then to be honest i don't think there would be any questions asked as to who would win console war. Even how things stand the ps3 will do very well, i'd bet anything that ps3 will sell more units worldwide in the first year than the 360 did, and i understand sony's arrogance as they know that people will buy things merely for the name. Not everyone obviously, i mean you wouldn't buy a robin reliant if ferrari made them...or would you? (i'm just waiting for someone to say they wouldn't buy ferrari anyway:D )

my3rdxbox360 said:
If sony would have done a similar thing e.g buy a core or premium, and price it at a similar price to the 360, then have external blu-ray drive etc, then to be honest i don't think there would be any questions asked as to who would win console war.

If Sony did'nt include the BD as standard then this media type would not be used for games, this goes for the HDD too. I'm glad both these features are standard allowing developers to exploit there adavantages.

I can remember when the two versions of the 360 were anounced and how everyone moaned that the HDD would not be utilised (streaming, faster load times etc..).

My reasons are;

I have never bought a Sony product that has failed on me

The blue ray player

Knowing that all the best franchises will no doubt be on PS3

Its the latest gadget, i love having the latest gadgets

It looks cool

Gran Turismo HD

PES 6

Smak said:
If Sony did'nt include the BD as standard then this media type would not be used for games, this goes for the HDD too. I'm glad both these features are standard allowing developers to exploit there adavantages.

I can remember when the two versions of the 360 were anounced and how everyone moaned that the HDD would not be utilised (streaming, faster load times etc..).
True, and even if blu-ray fails as a film format if used properly blu-ray could be awesome for games in the future.

I'm buying one at launch and I already own a 360 (which i will be keeping) and i will also buy a Wii at launch.

This is because:

• Gaming is my and my husband's primary hobby at home
  • There are many platform exclusive titles in well established series such as Final Fantasy, Metal Gear that i want to play
  • If there are cross-platform titles then i can buy according to which is the best version or which my mates are buying if it is online play
  • I have a big PS2 back-catalogue that i enjoy playing, and there are future ps2 games that i still want to play, why not play them as upscaled over hdmi.
  • Blu-ray - I don't care if it isn't the best player blu-ray on the market (lets face it might be th eonly on on the market in the UK come November) it'll still be better than current dvd and i want to be able to start collecting HD format discs. There will inevitably be a dual format standalone player or two come out in due course, which i will invest in so i can watch both blu-ray and hd-dvd.
  • Blu-ray for games - if blu-ray lests me have better graphics - ace, if it has longer FMV - excellent, better extras - brill. And most of all if we can get region free worldwide releases with all languages on a disc then i don't have to wait and can buy cheaper from abroad
  • I've learnt to never trust the popular press - as it is 99% hyperbole and generally wrong. WHy listen to rumours made up by biased journos or fanboys (on either side of the fence). I'll make up my mind on the facts in front of me.
  • Gameplay vids and pictures - there are gameplay vids and pics available on the net and some look frankly stunning. Why shouldn't i want a piece of that?
  • Finally, 3rd party support. There is still more confirmed 3rd party support for PS3 than the 360, especially in JP orgonating software.

I just want all three consoles to co-exist, drive each other to innovate and improve the situation for us the consumer.

and edit - an internal blu-ray appeals far more than and external add-on (though i'll prob buy that for my 360) as i've already got more boxes under my tv than is reasonable and don't want more!

simply the games

bottom line does not matter what the machine is capable of, without the games it's nothing but a Blue Ray player

Crisp_Rapper said:
you are a sick, twisted individual... if i want a film i'll watch a film, i buy games to play them, not watch. :rolleyes:

I find my scores are much better when I do both ;)

Seriously though, there are going to be games that stretch DVD storage limits. The games that we're playing now would stretch those limits if compression algorithms weren't so good. Frankly I don't care if my drive is streaming uncompressed media off of the drive constantly whilst I'm playing instead of what the 360 does now which is pre-cache and decompress into memory. As a theoretical architecture you can make use of more CPU cycles and system ram if you're storing less pre-fetched data in it, and using less cycles decompressing files all the time.

ahin4114 said:
I find my scores are much better when I do both ;)

i'm blind you heartless........... :rotfl:

as engines get better and more 'realistic' i'm sure we'll see a point where fmv becomes redundant (well, probably for every company bar square/enix).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom