For what reasons are you buying a PS3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 92943

I am just curious as to what reasons people intend to buy a PS3? Is it the games, the blue-ray drive or something else.

Hasn't all the bad press and cancelled games put you off buying the machine

The reason i ask is as a 360 owner whether the PS3 is better and cheaper after all when you consider a Premium 360, WIFI Adapter, and HD-DVD Drive is likely to cost for than a PS3 and yet the PS3 also had Internal BD,wifi, memory card slot and a 40GB bigger Hard drive.

Also how far is the PS3 going to go in order to replace the PC, using Linux?

Finally, there hasn't been much more info lately on the PS3, so are there any events taking place soon where SONY will show off EVERYTHING the PS3 can do

quarryfied

Banned
lee_c00per said:
I am just curious as to what reasons people intend to buy a PS3? Is it the games, the blue-ray drive or something else.

The reason i ask is as a 360 owner whether the PS3 is better and cheaper after all when you consider a Premium 360, WIFI Adapter, and HD-DVD Drive is likely to cost for than a PS3 and yet the PS3 also had Internal BD,wifi, memory card slot and a 40GB bigger Hard drive.

Finally, there hasn't been much more info lately on the PS3, so are there any events taking place soon where SONY will show off EVERYTHING the PS3 can do

I don't have any "friends" here to impress so i'm going to be totally honest. At first the whole idea of buying up PS3's to sell went against my better judgement. But seeing as so many here seem to have no objections i have preordered two of them. Ok, so maybe i'll only get one due to Sonys address checking process so I added an apostrophe to my address to hopefully slip through the net lol.

My thoughts are the same as others now, if i can sell one of them to pay for my own console then that's what i hope to do. I LOVE the 360, alot more than i thought i would. I intend to have BOTH at the end of the day. I could not bear to own either one and see games i really want to play out of my reach. Plus, if a game comes out on both consoles, let's face it they will be virtually identical so i can go for whichever is the cheaper option (360 most likely).

I just have in the back of my mind that the PS3 will be slightly better, have everything integrated, the blu-ray is less compressed, the built in wifi/hdmi etc. I just HAVE to have one. I HAVE to have the games like tekken, resistance FOM etc.

My only wish is that the PS3 had stayed the silver colour and not black, it just won't look right in my setup. Sorry if i've rambled because i'm a bit sozzled. Did i mention the full web browser? oh well.

AML

lee_c00per said:

The PS3 is due in November and the Tokyo Game Show is held in September. They have better have something pretty close to 100% done to show at that show other wise you can bet its going to be delayed.

I already have a pretty good PC as well as a 360. At the moment I dont much care about Blu Ray or HD DVD so I only look at both consoles as Games Systems.

The PS3 so far has no games I am interested in where as the Wii will have lots of original content that I will be interested in.

If I want graphical games, My PC and 360 are up to the task. With games like GTA4 being made across platforms, I really dont see the point in getting a PS3 at the time of release.

Im not saying I wont get one, Im just waiting for sony to give me a reason to get one.

redmarkred

I can't afford one:(

Why couldn't they do a version without the Blu-Ray for people who actually want a games console (which I stupidly thought the Playstation was all about)?

Why don't Sony listen.....Hello.....I don't watch films on any of my consoles and i'm not going to start now!!!!!

AML

Its too late for anything like that. All games will come on Blu Ray due to copy protection issues.

Not only do they ensure that copying PS3 games will be a lot harder now, but they also help to launch their Blu Ray format into the market.

They are not asking you to buy Blu Ray movies, just PS3 games (which come on Blu Ray disks) and the drive itself which is in the PS3.

Musketeer

Novice Member
I will buy for the following reasons in order of importance.

1. It will mean I don't have to have to have a seperate games console and BD player.

2. I like the fact that the PS3 seems to have so much potential as a console and a media player being so powerful and having everything you need built in.

3. All my other kit is Sony, for some strange reason it seems logical to stick with a Sony just so it matches everything else.

redmarkred

AML said:
Its too late for anything like that. All games will come on Blu Ray due to copy protection issues.

Not only do they ensure that copying PS3 games will be a lot harder now, but they also help to launch their Blu Ray format into the market.

They are not asking you to buy Blu Ray movies, just PS3 games (which come on Blu Ray disks) and the drive itself which is in the PS3.
Yes I know it's too late and I know they're doing it to launch their Blu Ray format!

I however have no intention in helping them launch it. I want an affordable games console. :smashin:

jay_brown55

redmarkred said:
Yes I know it's too late and I know they're doing it to launch their Blu Ray format!

I however have no intention in helping them launch it. I want an affordable games console. :smashin:
If it's affordable you want, I've got a PS1 you can have for a tenner!:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 92943

The PS3 is due in November and the Tokyo Game Show is held in September. They have better have something pretty close to 100% done to show at that show other wise you can bet its going to be delayed
So next month is when we should see the machine working in all it's Glory.

I am baffles as to how it will work as a computer?

Any idea when people may be able to pre-order one?

drskhaled

Novice Member
the reasons why i'll get one tho not necesarily at launch are;
1. Exclusive franchises such as final fantasy, metal gear and gran turismo etc.
2. More Japanese developed games, overal more support worldwide but this may change with time.
3. Because i'm a gadget enthusiast with large disposable income
4. blu ray movies on my hd set.

What i hate about ps3 allready is the ugly looks, lack of rumble, high price and the fanboys both sony and xbox. But for me its all about the games, in particular the 3 mentioned above. If gears of war alone is reason enough to buy a 360 then the 3 above are reason enough to get a ps3.

redmarkred

jay_brown55 said:
If it's affordable you want, I've got a PS1 you can have for a tenner!:thumbsup:
Very funny :laugh: Let me clarify! I want a good affordable games console:smashin:

D

Deleted member 92943

Has all the bad press not put you guys off getting a PS3?

drskhaled

Novice Member
there's good and bad press for every console. frankly i take no notice of it unless like in the case of no rumble it affects gameplay. As i said i probably wont get one at launch unless there is a must have launch game. if after a few months it turns out to be lemon (which is highly unlikely) i wont buy it. I bought a 360 near launch and i havent bought a game for it since the begining. Gears of war, dead rising and possibly saints row are the only games i might consider buying in the coming weeks/months. If the ps3 has a similar drought of games initially it'll put me off buying it early on. Whats more if the wii is released at the same time its highly likely i'll get that first then wait till 2007 before getting a ps3. fickle bunch aren't we.

Dave

Distinguished Member
I'll get one for gaming, gaming and gaming.:D

Unfortunately it's not gonna be this year and probably not next year either.

As others have said, I want a gaming console and Sony's insistence on putting a BR drive in it simply to gain a foothold in yet another format war infuriates me.

If they did a version with a DVD drive that was 250 quid i'd have my preorder in now.:(

Damn you Sony, damn you.:mad:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
For the games obviously. As and when I get BluRay I won't be using a silly console to play them. Rather defeats the object of having a high quality disc.

Kube

Will almost definetly pick one up down the line a bit. For the moment though i cant afford to buy a PS3 and a Wii, and personally the new control system of the Wii is more attractive than new shiny graphics.

WelshBluebird

Novice Member
For the games, but also for the PSP-PS3 connectivity (e.g. streaming videos from PS3 to PSP).
Depending on how much money I get hold of, I may get a xbox 360 this year, although a new PC is my first priority, so if I got enough money after a new PC, then I'll get a 360.
Then next year, when hopefully the price has come down a bit, I'll probably pick up a PS3.

tbh, the whole concept of the wii's controller doesn't really excite me. I've tried playing games where you move about before (eyetoy) and it just not my thing. I just prefer to play FPS's with a keyboard and mouse, and other games with a joypad. (although some games like tennis and cricket would be good with the wii controller)

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Mainly for Assasins Creed; Heavenly Sword and MGS4 initially. It will also be nice to see what all the fuss is over BD.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Reasons over the XBOX360 I owned. (priority order)

• Games (though must admit I like some of the XBOX exclussive titles also)
  • World wide support (needs to have Jap interest unlike XBOX series)
  • All-in-one system. I want to have a next gen games console and dabble in HD movies. I wouldn't buy a dedicated movie player until HDDVD/BR recorders are low price.
  • A quiet system (XBOX360 was just too loud)
  • As an easy (hopefully) to use media centre with 60GB storage (20GB too small for all my music plus trailers/saves etc). Even though I have a MCPC setup.
  • Harddrive built in standard so all games will be designed to utilise it.
  • Possible benefits of dedicated Physics chip support (unless mistaken)
  • Future proof HDMI output to my HDTV.
  • Built-in power supply (the XBOX360 was such a big "brick" to hide). Too many cables already.
  • Integration to the kids PSP's
  • Free network play system (usefull for people who arn't into a lot of online gaming)
  • Kids can play thier PS2 games on so no more fighting over existing PS2.
  • I like the style in Black & Chrome (Premium) will match my other stuff.
  • Likely a lot of XBOX360 games will also be on PC so I can use that (with some future upgrades)

Negatives that nearlly put me of (compared to XBOX360) (priority order)

• Lack of rumble.
  • Price
  • Some games now being XBOX360 exclussive such as Alan Wake :(
  • Not as well integrated into PC network as XBOX360 is (I assume)
  • Concerns of its future success because of high price putting many people off
  • I really liked the XBOX360 controller

As for the Wii I have never had any interest in it at all, but I would'nt say I'm an hard-core gamer. I'm very selective with my games and with 2 kids don't get lots of time to play. I'm into RPG, Action Adventure and survival horror genres so realistic environments/graphics/physics are important to me. I like my "eye candy" so long as the gameplay is still their.

Also, I don't want to have more than one console, and wife probably wouldn't let me anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeordieSquires

Novice Member
I will probably get one next year as there are not many games that really interest me at the minute. I already own a 360 so if I want good graphics i'll use that for now. The day MGS4 comes out will be the day I get a PS3 as I love all the MGS games and I couldn't bare to miss one.

jay_brown55

lee_c00per said:
Has all the bad press not put you guys off getting a PS3?
If we took notice of all the 'bad press' none of us would have bought a 360.
I lost count of the number of people who said "don't buy an Xbox360 it will scratch discs / overheat / burn your house down / ruin your TV / sleep with your wife". None of which has happened. Yet. Keeping an eye on the missus though:cool:

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
As I've mentioned in other threads and has been mentioned above, I would buy a DVD version of the PS3 for around £280. I don't like how they are forcing Blu Ray on folk as if you're not interested in Films then it is going to be of little use. A quick DVD drive allows for faster loading and the 9 GB is big enough for games.

That is the only thing stopping me personally getting a PS3 - there's only a few games I would like on it but i'm sure that the games catalogue will be good over the long term.

There are other minor niggles - lack of controller rumble, lack of great games for launch and immediate future, the aesthetics of the console but none of those would stop me buying the console to be honest.

figoagogo

I will be buying for:

The Games mainly (so no preorder util I can see what it can do)
also I am interested using is as a unit to store MP3s/photos etc to be viewed/listened to on the TV etc.
Not too sure about BR movies yet, however, if the PS3 can upscale DVDs well and out put in a high quality on a HD TV then I may consider buying early.

WelshBluebird

Novice Member
jay_brown55 said:
If we took notice of all the 'bad press' none of us would have bought a 360.
I lost count of the number of people who said "don't buy an Xbox360 it will scratch discs / overheat / burn your house down / ruin your TV / sleep with your wife". None of which has happened. Yet. Keeping an eye on the missus though:cool:
too true. If we all listened to bad press, we wouldn't be here now, as according to the media, the internet is an evil place full of child abusers etc lol.

Mad Johnny

Novice Member
BLIND FAITH....If that can be a good thing, I didnt get a 360 due to fact I was happy with my ps2,pc etc but now I feel timing is right to step up and hopefully get one around launch time. The 360 is a good bit of kit but most people will see the 'The next big thing' and will go for it as thats the natural progression of things such as cars, clothes etc. I'm interested in in the BRplayer but at the end of the day it's a bonus as the price tag I personally beleive is the going rate for a decent console(i know yet to be confirmed) if you look at cost of consoles over the years.

Crisp_Rapper

Novice Member
Mad Johnny said:
the price tag I personally beleive is the going rate for a decent console(i know yet to be confirmed) if you look at cost of consoles over the years.
surely by your reasoning the 360 is an ultra bargain at under £300?

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
The PS3 is around a 30% mark up on the average cost of consoles over the average price (which is around the £300 mark). When you compare it to consoles released in recent times (last couple of generations) then it is expensive. There's a couple of graphs here that show the comparative price of consoles over the years.

If you look at the consoles that have launched around or above the price of the PS3 then (apart from the first consoles which were comparatively very expensive due to them being the first consoles) none have really been a success. I guess the Neo Geo was more of a Niche console anyway as it was just ridiculously expensive at the time and CDi, 3D0 and Saturn all pretty much flopped. The Saturn had some success in Japan but was generally destroyed by the Playstation. It's interesting to see that the price gap between 360 and PS3 kind of mirrors the gap between PS1 & Saturn (apart from the fact that it's even bigger!).