For Those Who Criticised Me In The Jade Goody Cancer Thread - An Open Response!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoochJD, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Sadly, the previous thread was locked before I had a chance to respond to some of the comments and attacks made against me, because I chose to write comments that some of you disagreed with. So, here goes. I'm sure this thread will also get closed, but I feel I deserve the chance to respond to those who wished to condemn me for my comments!

Firstly, I am not immune to the way that Cancer affects families. Shocking and surprising as it may seem to some of you, even I have been touched by the illness, albeit not personally. My mum has had Breast Cancer, and has thankfully, been through and completed chemotherapy successfully, with no major after-effects. Also, one of my best friends I ever had in this world, died from Cancer about 4 years ago now. So I am very well aware of the way Cancer can affect everyone. :lesson:

Secondly, I stand by my comments I originally made - heartless, controversial and brutal as they may seem! Just because I don't like her, doesn't mean I have to feel pity or sympathy for her, irrespective of what illness she is suffering from. The fact remains, Jade Goody has Cancer. But so do loads and loads of other people in the World, and most of those same women, aren't in the luxurious position of a) having a fair whack of money in the bank on which to get by, and b) being able to sell every piece of their life story to the tabloids for vast sums of money, usually around £30k per paper! For that reason alone, she is far luckier than most other Cancer sufferers!

Jenn - I am happy to agree-to-disagree with you on our respective opinions on this story, and I have already apologised to you in the previous thread, if you felt I had personally upset or offended you by anything I had said.

AnotherLimey - you said:
    Bleem also agreed with you.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that my comments are way-off-the-mark. However, my opinion is mine and mine alone, just as your opinions are yours. Why is it that just because my opinion happens to be the one that is not the one that the rest of you ascribe too, mean that my opinions is therefore inherently wrong and inappropriate?! :confused: Or have we got to the stage now, where the only opinion that can be held, is the one that isn't morally repugnant?!

AnotherLimey then went on to say:
    I don't claim to be perfect, or infallible, nor do I ever pretend to be morally upright 100% of the time. I'm not pointing fingers and claiming that I am superior to her, because I'm not (at least not in some aspects). However, I am not willing to simply "go along" with the majority, simply because my opinion is morally distressing to the rest of you. Yes, she may well be a human being, in her 20's, and dying from Cancer. But I still have the right to disagree with the way she is conducting her final time on this planet. You don't have to like it. You can disagree with me if you wish. But don't you bloody well dare claim that my opinion is LESS valid, just because you dislike it! :lesson: Shame on me?! Bite me, okay! :mad: You don't know me, or know anything about me, other than what I choose to say on the Forums. No one forced you to read my comments, and no one has said you must agree with me. It matters not one bit if you agree or disagree with me, but just because you chose to go along with the rest of the sheep, I am deemed a lesser individual in your eyes? Maybe it's you who needs to look in the mirror!

TheDude - you say that my posts are a disgrace to the AV Forums! I'm sorry, have I confused you with Mother Theresa's nephew?! Are you God's unknown son: the one who wasn't mentioned in the Bible, alongside Jesus of Nazareth?! Or, are you some other all-knowing, all-loving, totally perfect Deity, who never thinks, says or does anything that others dislike or disagree on?! :mad: Take the moral high-horse if you wish, but all it shows, is you are unable (or unwilling) to try to form your own opinion! Instead, you appear to be happy to berate me because I have done what you couldn't - actually form a reasonable argument (even if that argument was one you dislike or disagree with)! And labelling me a "********" proves that it's easier for you to insult me, than to actually write something valid! :nono: I trust the Moderators will be giving you a few Infraction Points for this! :)

AddyB - you said:
    You make a fair comment, and I'm happy to agree-to-disagree with you on this one. I apologise that you feel my actions are "despicable", but at least I've had the guts to say what I did, without cow-towing to the moral majority, who think we need to all feel sorry for Jade, because she is a "celebrity" who is suddenly dying. The vast majority of you, have taken pity on her, and yet you would probably all have happily ripped her to shreds, if she weren't ill. I don't get the sudden volte-face. Hypocrisy springs to mind.

I wish to say one final thing: Everyone who is an AVForum member is free to say what they want, as long as what they say is not illegal, nor breaks any of the AV Forums rules. There is no rule that says I must agree with everyone else, on matters like this. Sometimes I will agree with people on topics, and sometimes I will disagree. Either way, I am simply making my opinions known, through a discussion with others. I would never deliberatly break the laws of the land, nor knowingly break the AV Forums rules. But unless I'm much mistaken, I have tried to back-up my opinion with commentary explaining why I dislike what Jade is doing, and why I don't think it's right. I don't expect you all to agree with me, and I don't expect you all to like me for those comments either. I only ask that you read them objectively. By all means say I'm wrong to hold those opinions, or challenge me on why I shouldn't hold them, but don't berate me, unless you can back-up your views too!

Some of you appear to get very touchy and attached, when I say something you dislike or disagree with, and then you start personally attacking me. Respect me for being a human being, even if what I write doesn't deserve respect! I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me, but at least treat me like you yourself would wish to be treated yourself! If you can't do that, then maybe the whole General Chat section needs to be re-defined as an area where any discussions of a topical nature should be banned, just in case someone says something that the rest of you don't like?! Is that what you want?! :confused: :mad: I certainly don't! General Chat should be able to allow members to discuss anything within certain limits, providing that nothing illegal is posted, nor any member break the rules of the site itself.

But at the moment, I get the impression that some of you think that I am not worthy of associating with you, because my opinions aren't necessarily that of the status quo. As I've said, feel free to disagree with me. That I don't have any issues with, and the Forums would be a duller place if we all agreed on everything. But at least let's all try to act in an adult fashion. I admit I've made mistake on the Forums. I've screwed up and written things that I regret at a later date. But I've always been human enough to admit when I make those mistakes. I've always tried my best to back-up my opinion, if it is needed. Or are we at the point now, that no one can post any comments, unless that comment and opinion is backed-up with testimony and fact?!

Some of you like Jade and feel sympathy for her plight. I sympathise with her plight. However, THAT WAS NOT WHAT THE THREAD WAS ABOUT!!!! If any of you had re-read what Smelly wrote on the first post in that thread, the words that were written were as follows:

In other words, Smelly said he doesn't feel comfortable for putting her down when she's dying, but wanted to hear what other people thought.

I had an opinion too, posted it, and backed that opinion up with my reasons. But, because some of you disagreed with me, but weren't willing to actually say so in a reasonable method, some of you resorted to labelling me "sick" or "unpleasant" or "offensive"!

I'd like to think that everyone on this website is intelligent, relatively sophisticated, and understands words have different meanings. The fact I labelled Jade a whore, did NOT mean I was labelling her an actual prostitute. What I DID mean, was that she was prostituting her self for financial gain, via selling her story to any media outlet that was willing to pay her money for that story. Calling her a whore (prostitute: someone who sells their body for sex, to a paying customer) and calling her actions whorish (someone whose actions are sold to the highest bidder, in order to gain financially for it) are very different things!

Ultimately I do NOT sympathise with the way she is orchestrating her plight though, and it is that which I am castigating! The fact I personally loathe her just adds to my unfavourable opinion of her! It is not wrong to dislike someone, for their behaviour, as far as I know. Am I right? I think I am.

I fully expect one (or more) of the following things to happen in the next 24 hours:

1) I get banned from the Forums forever.
    2) I get banned from the Forums, temporarily.
    3) I get infractions for writing posts that others disagree with.
    4) This thread to be closed, due to other people hating me even more, because I've dared to try and express what I wrote, and explain my actions.
    5) Someone actually thinking about what I've written, carefully comprehending those words, and getting the message that I am not some vile, little bigot, but someone who merely put forward an opinion, that just happens to be one that not many of you agree or like.

Pooch

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    :boring:

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Get over it Pooch, people disagree all the time

4. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    People need to respect the opinions of others even if you disagree with them

I didnt bother to read the Jade thread as I dont like her. cancer or not.

5. ian494

ian494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Pooch

Well done for standing up for yourself.

6. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I've got admit, I really do not care for the girl at all, even hearing her name makes me cringe. Peoples opinions are their own and other should be able to deal with that.

The definition of forum is: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion

with that in mind, I don't think lamblasting some for having an opinion is fair.

I lost my father to cancer, but that still does not change my opinion of Jade goody.

7. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    He is right i hope you dont get banned cant see it this thread will get locked nor i hope you do not get any infractions im glad you raised your point of view

The dude said your a disgrace out of order that should not get personal on here

may i take the time to point some of you in the direction of the avf golf days where you can meet people from the forums and have a blast and a beer and meet some good people also the bristol show is coming up and im sure you will soon find out from there that this place is full of top class people just we all just agree to disagree from tme to time

8. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Everybody's untitled to there opinion, however ridiculous it is.

However, I will say this. Anybody that can sit there and say they 'hate' somebody they have never actually met should be ashamed of themselves. It's like hating a character in a soap opera. Their public persona is completely controlled by the media, and is unlikely to be a fair or accurate reflection of their true nature. Jade Goody is a product of the media, they created her, nurtured her, and will now suck the last breath from her. She has little control of this now, and this will only be fueled by the desperation that is inevitable when you're facing a limited lifespan. I saw my sister in law die in 9 months flat from cancer at the age of 25, I can assure you, her actions during her last few months were not a fair reflection of her life.

I hope this thread gets locked, and everybody (and I mean the media in general, not just this forum) just shuts up about the whole thing, and lets her pass away with some dignity intact

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    If her cancer is as bad as she, and her slimey "publicist" Clifford, claims then no amount of money in the world can help her. But I suspect that it is not and we can all expect a miraculous recovery. In my opinion this is nothing more than a snide, cynical campaign to recover some of her lost celebrity and make a lot of dosh into the bargain. I wonder if she would feel sorry for a Portuguenese celebrity if they had cancer.

On a related point, I put the radio on in the car oneday last week and the news came on. The top story? Jade Goody's cancer has spread. With everything else thats going on in the world, the mind boggles.

10. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    No they don't :rolleyes:

:hiya:

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    :D

12. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    What's the world coming to Jade Goody cancer thread on AVF, but there isn't on for Steven Seagal.

13. gus607

gus607

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Well said Pooch.

14. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,629
    Whatever happened to "if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
    Pooch, I respect your right to voice your opinion and living in a "free world" I'll fight to the death to protect that right, but do you not see how your post was completely innapropriate? I'm not going to say its right or wrong because as you say, its your opinion and ou are entitled to it. But it was so very insensitive.
    Without using the search engine I'm sure tht I recall you posting about personall, sensitive matters concerning yourself like when you have been attacked on a bus and I believe when you were asking for advice on how to approach a certain woman who worked in a shop. My apologies if I have got you confused with someone else. But I would have thought you might have appreciated the decorum shown to you on those occassions and would demonstrate them again in this case.

Both you and I have been members here for a long time (I've been here since about 2000 I think) and we have disagreed in the past but I've always felt you were reasonable in your arguments and I respected you for that but your conduct in this matter has altered my opinion somewhat. not that my opinion matters of course!

Been typing this as fast as I can to get it in before the thread is locked/removed!

15. emo72

emo72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

I dont really think she is a product of the media. okay, she became famous on BB. I think she was put in there because she was loud, obnoxious and odious. she was put in there to provoke a reaction. It worked and she made
    a career out of it. I never liked her, how could anyone? What has she ever
    done to endear herself to anyone? She couldnt even say Shilpa Shettys name.thats ignorance.

While i dont wish her ill, I feel empathy for anyone who is about to lose their
    life and i only feel sympathy for her children in this situation.

16. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,856
    Exactly my thoughts when reading the original thread. Pooch mentioned how he wouldn't ever make his personal life public, well he has on many occasions..

17. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Fair play Pooch.

Words get twisted too much on these forums, peoples strong opinions make others opinions seem to be something they're not.
    While it's "only a forum" and people always disagree, nobody should be made to feel victimised or misinterpreted.

18. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Well i didn't attack you as you state, Just gave my opinion on the matter and what you said, All i did was give my opinion as you said people should be able to.

I really think you should just drop the matter as you seem rather wound up over the subject, The thread was locked for a good reason so lets agree to disagree eh?

19. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Erm... no I didn't. :rolleyes:

- let's not make this personal eh kopchoir? ;)

I won't repeat what I said because I don't want to start an argument and get this thread locked.
    I haven't been reading any of Pooch's posts for quite a few weeks now, for the exact reason I stated in the other thread.

Suffice to say I have a very low tolerance for unwarranted hatred, haters are losers in my humble opinion.
    I'm not calling anybody out, and I'm not being an 'internet hero'. If you knew me at all you'd all know I take exactly the same approach with people who've been my lifelong friends.

I say what I mean, and I mean what I say, and I try not to say anything mean.

I am Dude. :)

20. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    ok
    couldn`t be arsed looking at the other thread
    apologies
    kop

21. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930

Just for my defense this is what i posted that upset Pooch so much, It was not directed to just him but a number of people in the thread, I tried to get people to reconise exactly what they had been saying and bring people back down to earth thats all.

22. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,672
    yeah i did find that amusing:rolleyes:

23. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    vote for thread to be closed please before it ends up with a round 2 bell:D:lease:

24. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I would like to vote for the thread to be closed, plus a new word limit on any post.....

:cool:

25. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Pretty similar to the "respect for religious beliefs", it seems people find it hard to respect anyones views in general...

Pooch has said his peace he's not trying to argue so just leave it be folks.

26. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    As the person who stated the original thread I thought I ought to add something here.

I started the thread as the article I read made me think and I wanted to see, as Pooch said, what other people thought. I expected differences of opinion, that was the whole point. I love a debate and love the fact that people have their own opinion and aren't afraid to put it across. However peoples opinions (to me) aren't the problem its the venom with which they are sometimes put across. I can't understand how anyone can hate someone so much without having met them, without knowing anything about them. And this isn't directed just at Pooch, it happens in so many threads. However without trawling through them all I'll quote from this one were talking about.

Getting passionate about a subject is one thing but to state a stranger is
    is something else. The posts had words made bold and bigger just in case anyone had missed the venom. The words tumbled out over one another, it was personal and how can it be? None of us know her or her family. Thats what I found sad, and yes unacceptable. Whatever Jade has done she hasn't done to any of us personally. Dislike her, ignore her, turn the tv off when she comes on but don't hate her with quite so much passion. You should never do that.

And as much as you (global 'you') want you right to your opinion she deserves her right to sell her story to the newspapers if thats what she wants to do and they're willing to buy it. Its not illegal, not even immoral, maybe distasteful but hey thats your opinion not hers.

I still don't like her particularly but wouldn't never talk about anyone the way some people have talked about her.

PS: I'm a she ;)

27. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Sorry guys - I was busy typing as you both posted this!!! :rotfl:

28. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,672
    i say leave it open

29. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    tis ok
    i agreed with you in the original thread just that this one will just end up going pete tong and there has been enough said over the last few days not just on this topic either

30. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,744
    A good place to bring this to a stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.