1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you who say England friendlies are meaningless

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, Jun 1, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I have two words for you:

Michael Carrick

And two others :
    Calamity James

Oh and Robert Green deserves another chance.

Friendlies are never meaningless as they give opportunities for new players to impress and for Erikson to cast an eye.

wonder why people go on about Liverpool , Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U ( :boring: :boring: :boring: ) but seemingly ignore the men in white - the guys actually born in England and playing for their country.

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not as much as the men in red or blue get ignored mate.

More then one national team on this island.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I have often argued for a British side, although could you see many if any Sweaties and Taffs making the side( Giggs maybe)?

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I was particularly pleased because Colombia played with a great deal of purpose, in fcat its the best I've seen them play against England. They felt righfully aggrieved at some of the decissions like the first goal .Positives :
    Michael Carrick at last we have our own water carrier.Two footed this guy oozes class and will get better.
    Owen back to form.
    J Cole did ok too
    Beckham learns to swear in Spanish."hijo de p**a he exclaimed after getting an elbow to his head.
    Negative4s:
    Calamity James makes a howler of Seamanesque proportions. He has got to go.

Crouch looks too lightweight and slow to be an effective striker but maybe desrves another chance,
    A Cole deserves a kick up the whatsit for failing in that goalline clearance- in fcat the defence as a whole were culpable in their first goal.

Still minor things on the whole the friendlies were well worth it.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    It was meaningless, but perhaps not as meaningless as previous games where Ericsson has subbed dozens ;) of players.

What I'd really like to see Ericsson do in these friendlies is to try out different styles of play, but not get too bogged down in trying new players for the sake of it.

My own personal preference at the moment would be 3-5-2.

Green

Campbell Ferdinand Terry

Wright-Phillips Beckham Gerrard Lampard Cole

Owen Rooney

IMHO it would have been great to see Ericsson try something like the above

6. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    the idea behind friendlies is fine, but we have a manager who doesn't use them to learn it seems.

For instance, we know Dave James can't cut it at international level as he has concentration probs, so why continue with him, play Rob Green more, perhaps try one of the Under 21 keepers (Scott Carson).

Andy Johnson has a prolific season and gets played on the right wing - doh :suicide:

And it doesn't matter how well Carrick plays, there is no way a space is available in centre of the park, only place up for grabs is on the left of midfield and it looks like little Joe Cole has that tied up.

And don't get me started on us in major tournatments - go 1 up, try to defend a lead, go out with a ref cock-up to blame (ie the last 2 tournaments). We should be able to switch formations and adapt to injuries, that's the point of having a squad of players and using friendly games to try and test.

Stu

7. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Have to agree about Michael Carrick - he's boosted his chances of making it into the squad...although when it comes down to selecting a final squad he might miss out if SGE goes with Ledley King, who can play in defence or holding midfield. Bye bye Nicky Butt.

James has got to be dropped - he has made mistake after mistake throughout his career. He's just too unreliable. Green needs to leave Norwich and put in another good season in the Premiership..he could make the number 2 spot his own. Not seen enough of Carson.

Not sure about Richardson - maybe another good season in the Premiership will do the trick. Needs experience.

Zat Knight and Luke Young won't make it. If I had to choose, I'd take P Neville as cover for G Neville over G Johnson. Please Sven...no more Danny Mills or Wes Brown!

I'd go with...

1. Robinson
    2. Green
    3. Kirkland

4. G Neville
    5. R Ferdinand
    6. J Terry
    7. S Campbell
    8. L King
    9. W Bridge
    10. A Cole

11. D Beckham
    12. S Wright-Phillips
    13. F Lampard
    14. S Gerrard
    15. J Cole

16. M Owen
    17. W Rooney
    18. J Defoe
    19. E Heskey (seriously - but only with a rocket up his arse)

20. M Carrick
    21. P Neville
    22. K Richardson

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    One place in the starting line-up maybe. But what about the world cup squad. You do not just take the best four midfielders.

Usually you will take 7 midfielders in a 22 man squad. So at present I'd say that would be 7 from : J Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Carrick, Dyer, Jenas, Downing and Richardson.

Edit: Oops forgot Wright Philips.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Agreed 100%

However, at least this time we were spared the farce of the 'whole team' subsitutions, and the games were half (more than half with Columbia) decent as a result.

I would agree, in the sense that, as you say, he never experiments, and the performance of the 'new' faces is largely irrelevant. This is because, as we know, as soon as the 'big club, big stars' deign to make themselves available again, regardless of how they perform (or don't) in an England shirt, they can write their own names on the team sheet. It's time Ericsson had the courage to pick purely on ability and not be swayed by the clubs clout, and the players media image.

Don't be daft Squiffy, that line-ups FAR too attack minded for ericsson! :D Would be interesting to watch though. :smashin:

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765

Agree on James he has to go.
    On johnson unless he gets another chance I'm afraid its adios.
    Disagree about Carrick as this guy gives Erikson an option . Go one up take Lampard or Gerrard off and bring Carrick on to shore up the midfield . He plays that holding role very well. Two footed he also passes the ball well.Quality!

no for me these games have a purpose richardson and Carrick are testiment to that fact. Crouch may come good at a later date.He needs more muscle though- anaebolic steroids for the man I say. :D

11. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    I should have made clear that it is Ashley Cole I have on the left, and not Joe Cole.

So there you go. It is defensive minded... :rolleyes:

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Nah! :D My own preference is the old 4-4-2, simply because it's what those idiots know best. Left to right.

Robinson

A Cole, Cambell, Terry, Neville,

J Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Wright-Phillips,

Owen, Rooney,

Lampard and Gerrard to roll places. Becks and Gerrard are too similiar in style for my liking, but Gerrard, when he's in the mood, is the more inspirational. Ericsson wastes him by playing him too deep. Green and Kirkland to roll as reserve.

Richardson needs another full season yet, while Defoe never convinces me. He looks too much like Vassell for my liking. Ledley King needs a few more games at international level even though he looked good last time out.

Crouch and Johnson are old fashioned bustlers, but sometimes you need them. Would be nice to see Johnson actually play in his correct position for England.

Jenas, well, ok. Looked too much like Carlton Palmer did for England for my taste. Carrick. Well he did a lot without a fuss - which is good.

Heskey!!? :eek: No way!

13. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Heskey ? Too much of a confidence player head tenfds to drop and he falls to easily for my liking. Alright when he is on song but how often does that happen? Crouch could get better given some more time . If he improves his touch he couild make a good target man( needs more muscle though as he was too often easily shrugged off the ball)

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Upside down:

Owen

Rooney

J Cole Gerard Lampard Becks

A Cole Campbell Carragher G Neville

Robinson

Subs= Terry, P Neville, King , Carrick ,Wright- Philips, Defoe and Green

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    IMO lampard is miles better than cole.

Id have a 5 man defence and play them as wing backs

Robinson

J. Cole Ferdinand Campbell Terry A. Cole
    Lampard Gerrard Beckham
    Rooney
    Owen

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    England friendlies are meaningless.

Its football people, the meaning and significance of any match is not huge in celestial terms.

Just thought I'd point that out.

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    they are not to people who love watching the game and england in PArticular

18. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hey Tons of Fun

Celestial: heavenly or divine....much like watching England trounce the Germans 5:1!

Just thought I'd point that out, too

19. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Sorry I'm indulging in a spot of late afternoon pedantry. With the possible exception of that 1968 match between Honduras and Ecuador which sparked a war, the world proceeds in a basically unchanged fashion after a football match.

Hence meaningless.

20. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Tell that to the family of Andres Escobar.

21. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Or the thousands who traipse half way round the world supporting the lads

22. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Not always. Just ask the people from Bolton, Glasgow, Bradford, Turin, Liverpool, if football has never effected their lives in a meaningful, if extremely painful way. Still on the negative Italys World cup wins in the 30's were seen as proof of the success of El Duces regime.

On the positive side, Germanys three World cup wins have all had significant political as well as sporting meaning, one, in 1954, is seen as crucial in Germanys rehabilitation process. The wins by Brazil in 58 & 70 had a profound uplifting effect on millions when the World was at crisis points.

Positive again, Liverpool (and later Evertons) modern success was vital in keeping up the morale of a city devastated by long term industrial and shipping decline and high unemployment.

To finish, and the Red noses will hate this, Arsenals championship in 89' united Londoners in away I never thought possible. What a night was! Even in Kingston were I lived the streets were full of cheering people after the match!

Just a few examples there. :D

So all in all then Tons, not such a good argument. ;) Even though you were mucking about!

23. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    :nono: :nono: :( :thumbsdow that was my first ever season as a dedicated red, you bring back painfull scars :eek:

agree with what he is saying even if he examples suck.

back to england for me its

Robbo
    Gary mofo neville (no one else to play RB) Carra Terry Cole
    SWP gerrard Lamps J.Cole
    Rooney
    Owen

give the captaincy to either terry or gerrard. im sorry beckham is the most overrated footballer ever and he is pants as far as im concerned. just so happens im not that much of an england fan i will watch them cos its footy but :censored: me Sven would give houllier a run for his money in the boring, stubborn tactic department. i think he is so negative and hasn't got abit of tactical nouse about him. he has minds on secretaries and swedish women. give alan curbishly the job i say !!!

24. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I was confusing meaningless with pointless.
    There is as point to them for the reasons I gave above but there is also a meaning for me in that whenever my country is being represnted on a sporting field it MEaNS something to me as it means to all travelling fans and should mean to all players who don that hallowed shirt. The SHIRT means a hell of lot more than any club shirt in the country, in fact I'd go as far as to say the clubs have for me only one purpose and that is to PRODUCE the players of the right calibre who can wear that same SHIRT and who will do so with honour and respect and if they so much as besmirch that SHIRT they should be cast out into the wilderness from whence they can only return in great shame and humility lest they be struck down by the intense ferocity of the allmighty

On a rather more serious note I'll stick with Erikson as he'll omly be around till the end of the wc and then no doubt be looking for even more lucrative contracts elsewhere.His successor ? Of all the English incumbents none has won anyhting of note apart from Steve Mclaren's league cup win so I guess he would be first choice although I would favour Peter Taylor if only for his record at under 21 level plus I also happen to like the guy.Anassuming see?

25. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Talking of meaningless/pointless what about John Motson ! Back to annoying form at the end when he obviously spotted someone sneezing in the crowd "oh I have to say there is some trouble amongst the England supporters". Does he watch the match or does he spend all of his time watching for trouble in the crowd ?
    Edit- sorry, meant to post this quote from the Englandfans forum:-

"was sitting directly behind the "trouble". A few words were exchanged with the columbian fans and Americans with England tops on. These were deffo not England fans members. They even had union jack head scarfs on which says it all really! A few plastic bottles were exchanged and the stewards and police ejected a couple of Columbians. All the England regulars close by were wetting themselves laughing."

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    What kind of Americans were these?

27. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Kopite4Ever

Take off those red-tinted glasses! From Ferdinand, Campbell, King, Woodgate (if fit), Terry and Carragher you go and pick the two slowest at centre half???

Come on mate, JC's had a fine season but he's never been the quickest (witness first 45 minutes v AC Milan). Don't get me wrong; he'll go to the world cup along with King, but they'll both be there as cover.

Assuming Campbell can regain his fitness and a starting place at the Arse, he'll get the nod over Terry. Not saying he should mind you, but we all know how "Club England" works under Sven! Jobs for the boys!! Remember how King was rewarded for his performance against France at the Euros? Dumped out of the side just as soon as Terry was available...who had a very wobbly first couple of matches. Clearly form has nothing to do with selection under Sven.

Oh, and expect Beckham to get a starting place....even with his right foot in plaster!

28. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Stupid ones who've never been to an England game it would seem !

29. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I'm just curious as to why they would be wearing our colours. Maybe they are bonafide Angloamericans. As an Angloargentine myself I kind of find myself in some sympathy with them , assuming they are genuine of course. If they are then they could well be even more fanatically proBrit than the Brits themselves. Thats often the case with "colonials". I wouldnt deride them just like that.

30. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    You are probably right about them, but the union jacks give them away as not true England supporters ;)