1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Spheros/Xelos owners

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by genoa1893, Feb 22, 2005.

1. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi to all,

I've just ordered a Spheros 37 Hd and i'll receive it next week.
    There are some questions for the owners of this unit:
    1)What resolutions are supported from the component imput?
    2)..and from DVI imput ?
    3)There are some tricky settings that i'll have to do?
    4)There is some colour banding with video games?
    5)What's your opinion about this set?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi

Some answers below regarding Xelos SL and Spheros. I don't know about the Xelos A or newer models.

There are some questions for the owners of this unit:

1)What resolutions are supported from the component imput?

It will accept (within reason, pretty much anything that you throw at it. Certainly 720p and 1080i are fully supported but I am not 100% sure about 1080p. And at 50Hz and 60Hz.

2)..and from DVI imput ?
    As above.

3)There are some tricky settings that i'll have to do?
    On the component input, if you are using progressive or HD, don't leave the input as Auto. Tell it that you are using progressive or HD and you will get a much better picture.

4)There is some colour banding with video games?
    I don't play much in the way of games but I have never seen this on the few occasions that I have been using my PS2.

5)What's your opinion about this set?
    If you can afford it, get the Spheros over the Xelos. Don't bother with the DR+ harddisc model (the Xelos HD does not have a harddisc, the DR+ version is the harddisc version) or with the D-TV/D-Sat option unless you specifically want to record SD analogue sources to harddisc or want integrated D-TV (not fully Freeview compliant) or D-Sat (not Sky compatible). It would be cheaper to use external decoders and integration could be better.

3. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you very much :) ,
    i've ordered the Spheros without any other upgrade.
    Do you have the Xelos?
    If i put to auto on component what's happen?

Thank you

P.S.-What do you think of Loewe OSD ?
    ...and the last one...
    i choose lcd 'cause my old plasma had a very disturbing buzzing...do youy heard of Loewe lcd that buzz?

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi

Yes, I have the Xelos. Wish I had gone for the Spheros in the end. Nice tough glass screen stops little fingers making patterns on the screen :eek:

I use component only for 'backup' purposes - I normally use the built in tuners, an external D-TV box on RGB Scart or the DVI connection. I had a problem with my DVD player cutting off the bottom 5% of the picture when watching progressive output via component or HDMI - it is fixed now. It was OK with letterboxed 2.35:1 material but for 16:9 movies it was a pain. Since I configured component output from my DVD player as 576i, I just used the component feed for full frame material.

However, I had an odd problem. Setting component input to Auto resulted in a lesser quality picture. So I just kept it on 'progresive' even throught it was interlaced. The picture was much better, but the display indicated 1440x576i as the input. The picture was good so it was just an anomoly. I think it went away when my DVD player was software upgraded.

As for your other questions.

Loewe OSD is quite good - hit info to get help on a feature - beats the manual. The connection setup wizard is a bit of a pain. I would have preferred to have more control over the input assignments. The Loewe dialog is cool but I forget its there and don't use it much. The OSD is quite basic compared to some sets that I have seen, but I think this is because the software is handling much for you. You have control for each input type, ie RGB, DVI, component.

As for buzzing, I think the Loewe is too well build to suffer from that. Although mine does creak as it warms up.

-Ian

5. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    First of all thank you for your informations :thumbsup:
    This problem was due to the DVD player or to the TV?
    And how you've fixed It ?

What you intend for "creak"...excuse me but my english is very poor :(

Thank you for all :)

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yes, the missing 5% was a software problem with the DVD player. Now resolved.

Creak, as in an old door that creaks when you open it!

7. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i remember correctly isnt the osd set to german on 1st installation ? or maybe that was just the dvd recorder? and if you get the spheros :lesson: USE THE GLOVES and be careful what you clean it with its a pain getting the smears off and as theres a small gap between the glass and the panel things can drop down it. we had a hair drop down one once (how irratating).

8. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks again :smashin:

another thing :

what can you say about your picture settings ( i think that Spheros and Xelos have the same panel so the settings on your Xelos would be Ok also for Spheros).

..and in the end are you happy with PQ with DVD ? i read some reviews that say this lcd don't suffer from classical lcd blurring problem...is it true?

Thank you

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi

I posted a sample set of settings for my Xelos, you will need to do a search a few months or so back. However, since the Spheros has the glass panel on the screen to increase contrast so I do not know how relevant the settings will be. Also the settings between RGB, DVI & component are all quite different and will obviously vary depending on what equipment you run with it. But you are welcome to use them as a baseline though.

The only blurring that I get is when I have fast moving mostly horizontal titles on a background with different colour but similar intensity.

-Ian