For Sony -RW 2x speed = rare!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hobo4, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Hobo4

Hobo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noted on another thread by "tabitha" a supplier sent out 4x speed -RW instead of 2x speed because of no stock left of the latter, not funny because the same happened to me! supplier said TDK now only make the 4x sp.
    I`m starting to feel uneasy about this are manufacturers ditching 2x sp for faster speeds for the PC DVD burner mkt cos -RW is the most flexible media for Sony recorders 2xsp max won`t even reconize 4x sp
    Looking for quality -RW media i struggled to find sony DMW47 and 2 of 5 where bad discs! :(

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    You should still be able to pickup 2x media at present, e.g. TDK scratchproof is 1-2x speed and probably will be until stocks run out. But this does highlight another issue with DVD-RW. The problem affects 8x DVD-R as well - although sales of DVD-R are more than enough to make it financially worthwhile producing 1-4x speed media for the foreseeable future. Despite claims by the DVD Alliance that it wouldn't be, 6/8x DVD+RW is in the same boat as 4x DVD-RW - i.e. incompatible.

The other formats - DVD+R and DVD-RAM - may be affected in future although (as with DVD-R) both probably have sufficient sales to continue to justify slower speed media. DVD-RAM remains a safe bet as, although 16x DVD-RAM will probably be incompatible with existing DVD recorders (unless a firmware update is issued), Panasonic will almost certainly continue to make compatible media.

Meanwhile I suggest you buy sufficient, compatible DVD-RW media to last you machine: I have just purchased 100 TDK scratchproof DVD-RWs for my Sony GXD500.

3. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rasczak, where did you get them from and at what price?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    About £1.30 each, from here (they are listed near the bottom). Seem to work OK with the Sony GXD500.

5. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They sell the Verbatim 2x -RWs on eBuyer - Quickfind Code 61425. They are £1.88 for a 5 pack.

6. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

7. Ozxplorer

Ozxplorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad someone else had the same impression as I've highlighted this issue as well.
    This is somewhat ridiculous situation compared to VHS tapes, no probs getting blank media for your 'crusty' old VCR of 10+ years! Guess DVD recorders are still evolving but it's ultimately disappointing to feel that your fairly recent purchase is made obsolete simply because disk manufacturers have ditched them in favour of faster disks!

Geez! Sounds like quite an expensive stockpile....

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    I need about that many - I work away from home for long periods (at times) and rely on my parents to do recording. They wouldn't have a hope of getting the right media if they went out to buy DVD-RW in the shops (if they could get it at all) thus it made sense for me. Plus the way I look at it is after spending £300 on a recorder an extra £100 on top to make sure I can still use it in 6 months seems a reasonable expenditure.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    It is ridiculous - state-of-the-art machines becoming obsolete due to 'old' media not being available - thankfully it doesn't affect DVD-RAM users and should be less of an issue for DVD-R users as slow media will always be available.