For RDXS32 Owners: Who fancies writing a user manual?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nunew33, Jan 5, 2005.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    For all owners - we all know that manual is kak.

Im sure if we break it up between a few of us we could write a decent online manual to assist newbies and address the FAQs that pop up here. Im willing to host it on my web site and write part of it but its more time than Im willing to donate to write the complete works.

anyone interested in assisting?

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure I've had mine long enough to help make a FAQ, but willing to contribute.

3. Whitefiver

Whitefiver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I must say that one is certainly needed. I would gladly pay for something rather less impenetrable than the the current one!

Not sure that I can assist in writing, but I might be able to host the finished article, provided it wasn't too big! Might also be able to assist in proof reading?

Regards,

White

:beer: :beer:

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have I been reading a different manual? :rolleyes:

Seriously tho, i didn't find it too bad going - took me about 3-4 days to practice pretty much everything it mentioned successfully. It certainly doesn't deserve the pasting it's been getting....

Sure, it's a bit dense, but then the Tosh is quite a complex machine.

Praps we should all still be using VCRs :D

But, hey, if anyone feels up to this challenge, let's see what they can do :smashin:

5. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm an IT Manager and have read some pretty hard going technical documentation in my time, but I still found the XS32 manual a bit hard to take in.

Some of the features I found were not explained sufficiently for a novice to understand (I am new to DVDRs) and some things were just not explained well enough to perform them correctly first time.

I have only had my XS32 for a month now but have learned a lot on this forum from the helpful members that the manual just didn't give me easily. I have also sat down and played with it to find out what is what.

6. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I design electronic products for a living and even I found some parts hard going...!
    I find it astonishing that a company that has been in Consumer electronics as long as Tosh can produce something so awful. One of the biggest problems is the use of poorly explained, often arcane technical acronyms. E.g. I just happen to know that 'FL' is commonly used in Japanese technical documentation to refer to a fluorescent display, but how many other users could figure out what the 'FL select' button does....?
    One thing which is actively missing from the manual is how to select a satellite set-top box channel number when doing timer recording (press Sat Cont when in the Channel number field)

7. Murtan

Murtan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that there actually are at least two different manuals available for this
    product. I have recently found and read a 175 page manual which I think describes
    the capabilities of the XS32 in quite an understandable manner.
    Try at www.toshiba.co.uk, choose 'Home entertainment', 'Products'/'DVD Recorders',
    click the XS32, and then download 'OPERATIONS' to the right. Happy reading!

8. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's the same as the paper manual that comes in the box and that everybody finds so difficult to get through.

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I found the manual (Operations manual) to be OK. Yes there are a few places where the English is less than perfect, and some things not fully explained (like Mode I and Mode II DVD compatibility). But for the main tasks of recording and editing, I find it clear and accurate.

When I first was using the machine (and I'm still learning, only had it a month), what I found a bit frustrating was that I HAD to use the manual. I.e. the interface wasn't always intuitive enough for me to figure it out, but I found if I followed the manual step by step I could do it.

Now I'm also in IT and used to technical documents... in fact the documents for the product I work on are written in China and edited in India, so I am also used to less than perfect English.

Mark

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the problem with the manual are:
    1) It assumes familiarity.The manual makes sense after you have played with it for a week.
    2) It is written by someone technically minded.
    3) It is written around discreet functions of the machine rather than the process of DVR usage.

So I suppose thefirst thing is to define what is needed in a manual.

An FAQ is essential as that Behemoth RDXS32 thread has only got 2 questions in it, but they get asked every day!

A comprehensive quick menumap would be good

So I suppose the next question is what are the key processesthat need defining

For starters I suppose there is:
    Using the Tosh for making home videos
    -capture
    -edit
    -menu
    -burn
    Using the Tosh as a VCR
    -using the timer
    -timeslip
    -playback
    Housekeeping
    -using library
    -????
    Technical
    -bit rates
    -recording modes
    -media

What else?

11. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Initial setup options (ie setup menu) and what they actually mean? Most are common sense, but there are a few that aren't obvious.

12. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The initial set up bit needs covering. I have been manually changing the format to 16:9 in recordings for 6 months and then was playing around with the set ups and found I could set it as a default. I can't find a way to default to PDC ON, but fully expect to find it under some sub menu or other in due course.

To add to nunew33's list:

- differences between editing and dubbing
    - using playlists
    - chapters (GOP, etc.)