For people with a 2TB PS4, what are you doing to upgrade?

I currently have a PS4 with a 2TB drive.. And am not sure what to do to migrate to the Pro.

The 2 options I am consindering are:

A. The Cheap Option

1. Delete as much stuff as I can on the PS4 to get the data below 1TB
2. Using the LAN Transfer feature to migrate to the Pro.
3. When Finished backup the Pro to a USB hard drive.
4. Remove 2TB from the PS4 and put it in the Pro
5. Restore Backup
6. Download everything that is missing
7. Put the 1TB in the old PS4

B. The easy option

1. Buy a 2TB drive
2. Install it in the Pro
3. Transfer all data from the PS4 to Pro
4. Pour a beer as its done

Of course there are other options.. But I want to limit the amount of data I have to download, so want to use the Backup/Restore or LAN Transfer option where possible

Is anyone else in the same position? Whats your plan?

Jon

DroidSkin

Distinguished Member
C. The Ultra Lazy Option
1. Take the old PS4 with 2TB to CEX.
2. Download the few games I am currently playing on the Pro.
3. Worry about HDD capacity when the 1TB drive is full.

C. The Ultra Lazy Option
1. Take the old PS4 with 2TB to CEX.
2. Download the few games I am currently playing on the Pro.
3. Worry about HDD capacity when the 1TB drive is full.
That would work.. Problem is, I may not sell mine.. I might put it in another room.... And then not switch it on again like I did with my PS3 :)

Out of interest, what are CEX paying for a 2TB version? I still have my box, so it should hold a bit of value.

DroidSkin

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, what are CEX paying for a 2TB version? I still have my box, so it should hold a bit of value.
No idea mate. I'd assume they'll give me what the 500gb version is worth, which I think is £116 boxed. Ebay the 2tb is going for between £180 & £200 if you can be bothered with the hassle.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I went for option 2. £57 for a new 2tb drive at the moment, wasn't a bank breaker. Poured 5 beers while it did the transfer.

I went for option 2. £57 for a new 2tb drive at the moment, wasn't a bank breaker. Poured 5 beers while it did the transfer.
Where did you get it for £57? I heard they were £57 a few weeks back, but now they are £62...

I am swaying towards this.. I have spent so much in the last month on VR, games and now the Pro.. £60 is a small price to pay to save the hassle.

Cheers.. Immediatly after replying I checked Amazon and the price is back to £57.. But its a "Prime" only deal and I am not a prime user.

I was going to get my colleague to order it.. But I remembered that Argos have it for £62.. And they are giving a £5 voucher back.. So thats a similar deal, so I might get it there and be done with it.. Cheers. And it comes with a "free" copy of McAfee internet security which fetches £5-£10 on eBay...

Rob F1UK

So presume you guys are removing the 2TB Seagate drive from its caddy and installing it into the Pro?

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Where did you get it for £57? I heard they were £57 a few weeks back, but now they are £62...

I am swaying towards this.. I have spent so much in the last month on VR, games and now the Pro.. £60 is a small price to pay to save the hassle.
Amazon, or if you go to Argos you can buy one for £63 and then you get a £5 voucher.
**EDIT** DOH!

So presume you guys are removing the 2TB Seagate drive from its caddy and installing it into the Pro?
Spot on.. Its an old trick.. Seagate charge less for the 2TB USB drive than they do for the bare drive.

So you just open it up.. take out the disk.. and hten you can even put the old 1TB back in the caddy and re-use it..

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Yep, very quick and easy and then just caddy up the 1tb.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member

Cloysterpeteuk

I can't be bothered to transfer stuff, I'll just treat it as a new console. Download the games I'm playing now and forget about it.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I just deleted everything but saved games, backed up to USB, moved the 2TB into the new machine, uploaded the software and backup and got going. Re-downloaded everything I needed. Seemed simplest in the end.

Annoying that the front USBs don't like Amy slightly fat USB drives though.

stigdu

I bought the £58 Seagate drive from Amazon, started completely afresh on the Pro and just re-downloaded everything I wanted again. The only game that's been a massive pain in the arse so far is Rock Band 4 as I have a ton of songs and have to download them individually.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I just deleted everything but saved games, backed up to USB, moved the 2TB into the new machine, uploaded the software and backup and got going. Re-downloaded everything I needed. Seemed simplest in the end.

Annoying that the front USBs don't like Amy slightly fat USB drives though.
I'm going to do the same. Can't be bothered with loads of faffing around.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I went for: -

- Take the 2TB HDD out of my son's launch PS4 & stick it in the Pro
- Transfer my MGS5 2TB PS4 to the Pro and then give my son the MGS5 PS4
- Take the Launch PS4 to Game with 5 old games to trade for another PS4 Pro
- Transfer my PSVR games and a couple of other games across from my original Pro to the 2nd Pro
- Stick the 2nd Pro in the games room as mainly a PSVR machine

Dazimus

Just bought a Pro and I think I'll just stick to the stock 1TB. Might force me to play the installed games rather than install tons of games and constantly switch between them.

Stinja

Couldn't you:

- remove 1TB from Pro
- put in a USB caddy, and format
- get PS4 under 1TB
- backup PS4 to USB-caddy (ex-pro HDD)
- move 2TB to Pro unit
- restore USB-caddy to Pro
- put 1TB into (old) PS4

slightly fewer steps than option 1 in first post.

Markt25

Amazon, or if you go to Argos you can buy one for £63 and then you get a £5 voucher.
**EDIT** DOH!
Argos are doing 10% off everything bought on eBay at the moment making the 2tb £56.70. Payment must be through PayPal. Not sure if you get the £5 voucher or McAfee.

Last edited:

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Couldn't you:

- remove 1TB from Pro
- put in a USB caddy, and format
- get PS4 under 1TB
- backup PS4 to USB-caddy (ex-pro HDD)
- move 2TB to Pro unit
- restore USB-caddy to Pro
- put 1TB into (old) PS4

slightly fewer steps than option 1 in first post.
This is what I will do when I upgrade.

Gambit1977

Have to admit, I've been wondering this.
I'm tempted to just remove it and replace it with a 500gb as I can't see anyone online that gives more for 2TB. Sadly I'm not on the mainland so don't have access to a CEX or equivalent and anything I post off island I have to pay VAT on.

Getinthehole!

I went for: -

- Take the 2TB HDD out of my son's launch PS4 & stick it in the Pro
- Transfer my MGS5 2TB PS4 to the Pro and then give my son the MGS5 PS4
- Take the Launch PS4 to Game with 5 old games to trade for another PS4 Pro
- Transfer my PSVR games and a couple of other games across from my original Pro to the 2nd Pro
- Stick the 2nd Pro in the games room as mainly a PSVR machine
Hey Cas Fan can you advise on running two PS4 in the house with accounts and registering them. Just me and my son playing games new to PS4 seems shall we register one each?

Also realistically how many games does a 1TB PS4 Pro actually store? Don't really want to upgrade hard drive on day 3 or S it a smart move and why thanks in advance

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Hey Cas Fan can you advise on running two PS4 in the house with accounts and registering them. Just me and my son playing games new to PS4 seems shall we register one each?

Also realistically how many games does a 1TB PS4 Pro actually store? Don't really want to upgrade hard drive on day 3 or S it a smart move and why thanks in advance
Yes mate. Works pretty easily. You buy all of your games on one account (i.e. yours) and create a sub account for your son. You sign into your son's console as you and make that console the primary console on your account (you will need to deactivate your console as primary first). You can then download all of the games you want onto that console and even when he signs in as his account, he will be able to play them on. You then sign into your console and keep that as a secondary console and will be able to play all of your games as long as you have an internet connection.

All depends on the size of the games as to how many you will fit on to 1tb. The largest games are around 50gb so that would be around 20 games. In reality however, most games are smaller than that (say 15gb ish) so you could perhaps get say 50+ games on it. It all depends on the individual games.

I upgraded my Pros on day 1 as had to upgrade my old PS4s mid cycle and it was a little bit of a pain transferring the data. It's not too bad though.