For My Budget, Could I Get Anything Better?

New Bloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I have £2000.00 (not including cables) to spend on a system, here are the specs so far...

42" XD1E Sharp LCD TV £1000.00
Denon 1507 Receiver £ 200.00
Toshida XE1 HD DVD Player £ 450.00
KEF 1005 Speakers £ 250.00

Total £1900.00

Any comments would be appreciated.

where is the ps3 or xbox 360?

How about a Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on instead of the Toshiba. Will be cheaper and of the same quality. All you will sacrifice is a little functionality.

How about a Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on instead of the Toshiba. Will be cheaper and of the same quality. All you will sacrifice is a little functionality.

Alot noisier though.

Agree. Unless you want to play games... don't get a PS3 or Xbox360. Better get an LG multi format HD player instead...

I prefer a Yamaha AVR.

its not actually noisy when watching films or idle, just when playing games.

I went with the Denon and the KEF's for my initial setup and have been very impressed, be it a low end setup.

I may be going from dual format HD to high end SD as I am looking to buy a house.

Not really a frequent games player when it comes to consoles, I have a PC for when I have a craving for games. Could never get the hang on the controller when I am familiar with the keyboard / mouse setup.

I would suggest you consider a Panasonic TH-42PH9 display instead of the Sharp and Canton Speakers instead of the Kefs Canton Movie 150 QX has far more punch and is available at a special offer to forum members http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195561 also consider spenidn more on the AMP and less on the DVD player Onkyo 604 AV AMp and Toshiba E1 HD-DVD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom