For Love Of The Game HD DVD Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Sep 15, 2007.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
    News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Reviewed by Richard Downs
    As he holds the ball for the last time, Billy looks up at the scoreboard and sees a string of zeroes. A perfect game is within his grasp. It must be a moment of immense significance to North Americans, but probably results in little more than a blank stare from the rest of us. No matter. You don’t have to be a sports fan to like this film. You don’t even have to understand baseball, though it would undoubtedly help. If you get through the rather plodding first hour, you will be sucked in. The sound is great, the picture is lovely, and Raimi steers his tale to a satisfying and emotional climax. Billy Chapel isn’t the most charismatic of heroes, nor the most accessible, and he’s certainly too successful to be an everyman, but he is human and the film succeeds in making us root for him.
    Read the full review...

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    One of my favourite, if not my favourite of the Costner movies. I think you don't necessarily have to get Baseball to understand it all. Incidentally Billy is partly based on a real life pitcher (the name will come to me). It seems that it is very rare for anyone to pitch a perfect game. A perfect game is one where the other side never get a man to first base in all nine innings

As to the panning. Well, I used to use the DVD of this to show 3:2 motion judder on R1 discs. The pan across the white bulbs on black background scoreboard is also a classic for showing rainbows on DLP projectors. It's a great film for all that. I was in a clients the other day when it was on CH5 and I ended up watching 10 minutes of it before I realised I should be working!

Thanks for the review.
    Gordon

P.S. David Cone is the guy I mentioned above. I have a biography about him somewhere around here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_game

3. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Gordon, only just spotted this thread. Interesting to read your comments about the panning which confirm I wasn't imagining it. I'll be following up on the real-life pitcher you mention. Thanks for the tip.

RD