For Denon 2800 owners, plz help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ian_guinan, Aug 19, 2001.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi.<br />Hacked region free firmware ESS2248.<br />Euro machine with scart.

No problems so far. Excellent playback, and none of the horrible stuff you've read on AVS forum.<br />Paid £580 for mine inclusive for machine imported from Germany. Very well built. Great video and audio. Somewhat spartan OSD, but overall I'd recommend the 2800.

However, I have had my first difficult disk tonight. Disk 2 of r1 Hannibal won't play. It may just be a dud disk though so I await feedback from anyone else who has tried this disk.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

2. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm about to purchase a Denon DVD2800 player.

Several forums, of mainly US users, report severe problems with this player. I've noticed, however, that European owners seem to be quite satisfied with their units.

I expect that, at least, one of the problems affecting US units (bad power supplies) will not be a problem in Europe as they are bound to be different in order to handle the 220V.

Also, hopefully, the units will be improved in later serials.

Will those of you who live in Europe and have a 2800, please reply as to the overall satisfaction with their machines and, if possible, post their unit serial numbers and Firmware version?

Txs every1 !

3. blackhawk

blackhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm too was considering the Denon 2800 as my next purchase.<br />I was wondering if the European regionfree firmware (http://www.geocities.com/denondvd/) disables the RGB output on the SCART ?

If it does, anyone knows if there's a fix for that in the making ?

Oh yeah, and are there any problems with RCE disks (I presume you can't manually switch regions)... ?

Tnx

Regards,<br />Nico

[ 20-08-2001: Message edited by: BlackHawk ]</p>

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't know where the 'RGB disabled' rumour started. Works fabulously for me!

I've heard of people using RCE disks without problems...luckily I don't own any of the blighters!

No manual switching....apart from being able to revert the machine back to its original r2 state.

Regards,<br />Ian Guinan

p.s. Alfakhan...I'm thinking of the Sanyo PLV30 too. Haven't seen them together yet but I reckon it could be a great budget combination,

5. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guinan,

Txs for the reply.

I'm going for the Tosh 900, though. I prefer to spend a little more and not compromise on the signal generation side (Altough I love the Denon 2800).

As for the projector, I was ready to spend a lot more, but came to the conclusion that there are many "but" and "if" regarding mid-market LCD and DLP projectors. As things improve very rapidly in this area, I'm going for a solution that will give me a decent picture for a reasonable ammount and upgrade at a later stage.

Therefore my final options are:

Toshiba 900E<br />Denon AV 3801<br />Sanyo PLV-30

I am glad this searching and selection phase is over. Now for the fun part...

Txs.

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You seem to have followed the same path as me! My 2800 sits next to my Denon 3801 and they complement each other beautifully..

I went for the Denon myself because I do listen to a lot of 2 channel stereo on CD, and excellent audio playback was a must. I'm really not sure about DVD-Audio so far and this was therefore not important for me...by the time the software is commonplace I'll probably be upgrading to the DVD-XX00 replacement from Denon (the 4800 5 disk player with prog scan and DVD-Audio?)!

Re: the 3801..it is about to be replaced with a 3802 which sounds very similar but adds Dolby Prologic II (very like the DTS:Neo - simulating 5.1 from 2 channel surround sources). As a result you should either get a very good deal on the 3801, or wait for its replacement. I paid £580 for mine from Hotkit around 6 months ago.

Regards,<br />Ian Guinan

Forthcoming attractions;<br /><a href="http://www.del.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVM48003Final.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.del.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVM48003Final.pdf</a>

(edited for typos)

[ 23-08-2001: Message edited by: guinan ]</p>

7. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guinan,

It just goes to show we are 2 AV shoppers filled with good sense...I'm in awe...

I'm not getting an incredible price on the 3801 (around the same as you paid, in PTE) but I really don't want to wait any longer...And it would have been longer, since there's some time delay btw the introduction of new AV stuff in the UK and here in Portugal. I also like to wait a bit for the new models to get around (to sort out any problems).

I'm getting a really nice price on the Tosh and the Sanyo, though...

I'm buying the DVD player from <a href="http://www.hificomponents.de." target="_blank">www.hificomponents.de.</a> Total cost including transport is 2794DEM, which roughly translates into 900 GBP. It is not hacked, but I know someone here who can do it.

As for the PVL30, it is costing me 1895GBP (VAT included), here in Portugal, which is somewhat cheaper than I've seem in British sites. This is quite something, as it is an exception. Almost all the other projectors I considered were much more expensive here than in the UK (even other Sanyos). Another good deal would have been the Sony VPL10 at 3770 GBP (VAT included).

I will get the VPL30 and the 3801 tomorrow. Still some waiting to do on the Tosh, since it's backordered.

Txs for the Denon link...It sure looks like an excellent machine.

Regards.

H.Borges

PS: You are not from Mnachester, are you? Now THAT would be a coincidence...I was there 2 days ago!