1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? for anyone who's upgraded to 9500

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve Bate, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Before upgrading did you go thro' the manual un-installation procedure to get rid of all the registry "bits" of the previous drivers and then upgrade?

Did you use ATI uninstall prog and then upgrade the drivers & DX9 or did you just install over the top?

Just need to figure out how long my HCPC could be down for, minutes, hours or days!

Currently on DX8.1 Radeon 7500 with Cat 2.3 drivers

Anyone care to quantify the improvements I'm likely to get

Steve

2. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi Steve
    just to change the subject for a second, wot are your views on Spat's new enhancer card?.

My 9500 has gone on holiday to see Mike parker for the mp-1 mod fitting, cant wait to see wot its like.

With the 9500 installation thing all i did was uninstall all the previous drivers and files and apply the drivers that came with the card.The drivers that came with the card were the cat 2.4 which i didnt like after using the 2.3 previouly.

So i uninstalled every thing that came on the installation disc (mulitimedia crap ect) then copied the 2.5 and 3.00 drivers and directx 9 on to a disc and installed the 2.5 which i am still using at present.I havent tried the cat 3.00 drivers yet so i cant comment on them, directx9 again is not installed due to a few issues which you are aware of.

Steve, where is the link that guides you through the proceedure of totally removing ati drivers and there properties?

cheers

richard

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    When I upgraded from a 9000 with DX8.1 and cat 2.5 I did the uninstall and then delete the registery option, took less than 10 mins. Took the old card out and put the new one in, added DX9 and Cat 3.0, about anotherr 10 mins and then recalibrated with Avia.

I think the combination increased black levels and particularly shadow detail. The only thing I did next was buy a Zalman heatpipe to replace the really noisy fan:rolleyes:

4. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Re the spatz card, the trouble is it needs 3 PCI slots and I haven't got 3 spare!! Could be interesting but I'd feel a bit like a guinea pig being the first.

I couldn't link to the uninstall process so I pinched the quote below from one of Tim Coopers (thanks Tim!!) posts

I'd love the MP-1 mod but I cant get 5 x BNC to 5 x BNC cable between my HCPC and PJ it was bad enough getting the HD15 to 5 BNC there in the first place. Hopefully the 9500 will give me the performance I'm looking for (yea right:rolleyes: )

Let me know when it's back, this one I've gotta see. The amount you and I have spent in the last 6 months to get better PQ we could have split the costs of a S&W Interpolator!!

Hope all goes well.

Rgds
    Steve

5. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Sorry if this is hijacking but the spatz card you talk about, is that the "Detailer" I've seen on his website.
    Any idea of price?
    Thanks
    Kevin

6. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes Kevin it's the Detailer, he developed it to go in his own built scaler to use with the H3D card (and obviously a good graphic card)

I think it was 350Euro plus shipping, so about £250.

I'd like to see/hear some testimony prior to spending another £250 tho'

Steve

7. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Steve,
    Thanks
    Kevin

8. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Steve
    tried "regcleaner" and it worked a treat, why would anyone want to go through the ball ache all those step to uninstall all the ati files when all u have to do with regcleaner is press a few buttons?

please come over when i get the mp-1 modded 9500 back.

cheers

richard

9. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Steve
    the regcleaner on closer inspection did not remove a right lot, so as per the instruction i went in to the registry and sorted it, there was how ever 1 small problem when i went in to search for files ati*.* it still brought up 47 files which i cannot delete, any idesa

cheers

richard

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have you checked the properties of the files?

How about going to the command prompt and deleting manually, the old way.

Steve

11. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Steve
    sorted it, i still had the ati cat 3.00 driver sitting on my documents,all clear now.

I cant do it on my Htpc because i have no graphics card as yet, my 9500 landed in Washington on Friday but he still hasent got it :(

so it will be probably another week without home cinema.

i am thinking of getting a denon ai dvd player so i can use the digital link with my a1se (upgraded) better picture am getting at the moment it should do for over £2000.00

it never ends does this hobby

cheers

richard