1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Anyone Into Queensryche

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by silent lucidity, Mar 10, 2003.

1. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris "the main man" Degarmo is in the studio recording the new album with them.He's also playing on their(very)short European summer tour.One U.K date:London Astoria 5/6/03,go to ticketmaster.co.uk for tickets.I'm going to stay sober this time,waited a long time for the last tour and then got so bladdered I couldn't even remember what songs were played! :devil:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    First time I saw your user name I knew you were a Queensryche fan. Great song!

Gordon

3. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great song,great band.Nice to know people on this board have some class:clap:

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Never listened to them, but always intended to. I have probably listened to some tracks unknowingly.

Metal? brief description? best albums? Come on chaps, a bit more than "their brilliant" would be nice.

5. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have "operation mindcrime" at home on cd. what a great album. had it originally on vinyl when it came out first.
    also have empire on cd, and used to have warning and rage for order on vinyl.
    there were one of the bands i was really into in the 80`s/90`s.
    geff tate had one of the true great rock voices, although i dont think he was everyones cup of tea.
    haven`t heard any of their later stuff, but i still listen to operation mindcrime and it stands the test of time very well.

6. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Second all of the above - good band,saw them more times than I can remember when they supported metallica,every night they were spot on,and nice blokes to boot,not your normal arrogant stars,still play them once in a while :smashin:

7. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay karkus I'll try to explain their style briefly.Often referred to as "progressive",but if that means(as it generally does)ten minute guitar solos,swirly keyboards and self indulgence to the extreme,then progressive they ain't.If it means a constant evolution and balancing variation with a familiar sound,then yes they are(methinks they are!).
    Not overly heavy,but a great mix of harmonies(guitar duo Wilton and Degarmo are revered for it in guitar mags),dynamics,acoustics,a keen sense of melody and a lead vocalist with a massive vocal range and the self restraint to match(used for great emotional effect rather than show boating).
    The album "Operation Mindcrime" regularly finds it's way into magazine polls top ten metal albums of all time and is probably their most "metal" work to date.Next came "Empire",somewhat more radio friendly,track 8 "Silent Lucidity"(see moi's user i.d!)was their biggest ever single containing a string arrangement from Nick Kamen who you may also know from his work from Metallica(or his many film scores).
    After that we have "Hear In The Now Frontier",a big disappointment and the less said the better.It was at this point that Chris Degarmo departed,to be briefly replaced by Kelly Gray,guitarist and producer.With his teaming came the album Q2K,almost back to form but Mr Degarmo very much noticed for his absence.Now the man is back and I am psyched for the next chapter,the mighty 'Ryche will rise like a phoenix from the ashes of obscurity(I know,I'm getting a little kitsch now!).
    Apologies for the long post,but,you asked! :eek:

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Thanks for the info - I have always inteded to listen to some of their stuf but never quite got round to it. Will do so soon.

9. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot the album "Promised Land",released between "Empire" and "Hear In The Now Frontier".Their most diversive material is on this album,including saxophone played by Geoff Tate and cello by Chris Degarmo.Sounds odd I know but both instruments are used with subtlety and to great effect.

10. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still play my Queen Of The Reich Ep after all these years.

11. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some good songs on that one av,good job they progressed from there though,could have ended up just another Iron Maiden wannabe!
    My ticket came on Friday:clap:

12. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Not much wrong with being an "Iron Maiden Wannabee", seeing as Maiden are still going strong some 20 odd years after they started, often slagged off and put down by the lesser music press and with absolutely no radio airplay they still manage to produce albums & singles which enter the chart in the top10, and how many of todays bands will be able to headline Donington 3 times in 13 years..hell most bands arent around for that long.

UP THE IRONS

13. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LDR,I think you got the wrong end of the stick mate!I wasn't slagging IM in the slightest,merely stating the fact that QR managed to develop their own sound.That alone makes them stand out from a lot of todays offerings,seems to me we have too many "copycat's" these days.
    What IM do,they do well and I think they're a fantastic live act who I'd love to go see someday(basing my opinion on t.v footage I've seen).I may even buy the live dvd that came out a short time ago.
    Now we've got that straight I'd love to hear what you think of QR :smashin:

14. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Silent Lucidity,

I am a fan of Queensryche, seen them twice on their UK tours over the last 12 years or so that I have been listening to them. Have to agree about Chris Degarmo having an awesome vocal range, that is what really got me into listening to them, so many bands have such ****ty singers that do not do the musicians justice, especially in the rock/metal genre.

Do yourself a favour, get a copy of Rock in Rio, the new Iron Maiden DVD which was filmed during their headline concert in Brazil in Jan 2001 in which Maiden played in front of 250,000 screaming metalheads. And get to a gig of theirs as soon as they come back to the UK, it is an experience not to be missed, I have seen Maiden live on every UK tour since 1982 and not once have I left disapointed.

15. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I also remember a while back now, late 80's or early 90's I think, that Chris Degarmo & Bruce Dickinson got up on stage and sang together, and that there was a possibilty of the 2 working together, did anything ever come of this or is my mind a little hazy ?

16. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Also, Didn't the main man from Queensryche get into ear piece microphones well before Madonna ???

sorry, but that is what I remember them for :blush:

17. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LDR,you're getting a little confused here,Chris Degarmo is a guitarist.The man you mean is Geoff Tate and,yes,he did indeed sing live with Bruce Dickinson along with Rob Halford.I'm now going to check the QR website archives for details as this dates back to about year 2000.I think the intention was for an album,but it fell through due to not being able to synchronise studio and writing time together.Glad you reminded me:cool:

18. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bonesy,Qr have been using earpiece mics since the Empire tour some 13 years ago.This was so they could run around and sing backing vox wherever they might be on stage.Geoff Tate started using them on the Promised Land tour to allow a more theatrical stage show.Take for instance the title track of said tour,with Mr Tate singing while sat at a crowded bar on stage!
    My biggest regret is that I didn't get to a gig on the PL tour and they haven't done a stage show like it since:(

19. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Ah yes, of course it is Geoff Tate, how silly of me :blush: , must have typed Degarmo subconciously as he was the basis for this thread starting in the first place. :rolleyes:

Please forgive my frazzled brain..to much metal methinks :D

20. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone remember geoff tate appearing on the hearing aid single back in the `80s along with ronnie james dio, don dokken etc?

21. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've still got the single and the album which has some great tracks on it. Must play to soon methinks.

22. Max

Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  23. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    operation mindcrime was their defining moment for me.

24. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never got round to listening to this band and wish I had done as I guess they are similar to dream theatre, and again I brought loads of there cd but never got round to listening to them...too many movies I guess......

25. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Great band.
    Just got the Operation Live Crime DVD this week; £5.99 in the Splashdvd sale - bargain :D

26. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just ordered it myself, but it`s £7.99 now. still great price.

thanks nike:smashin: