1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For all you 'freax'

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by juboy, Feb 20, 2003.

1. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got around to having a good listen to the latest CD from Keith Caputo... under the guise of 'freax'.

What can I say? I know there's already a few forum members well aware of Caputo's singer/songwriting genius and this album is another excellent addition to his body of work.

For those of you unaware of his background, he first came to attention in a US band called 'Life of Agony', who made several excellent harder rock/metal albums but always with the distinction of Keith's unique vocal style and thought provoking, personal lyrics.

He then released a full length solo album called 'Died Laughing' which, to my mind, is one of the best albums (of any kind) of the past 15 years, absolutely perfect. If anyone can find me a better single than the lead single from this album 'Selfish', I'd be amazed.

As a stop gap came a covers/rarities CD (including a fantastic re-working of Annie Lennox's 'Why?') and a few months ago, Keith released a mini-CD follow up of new material entitled 'Perfect Little Monsters' which, although produced on a budget, continued the excellent work.

And now a full length album from Keith, who's written all the lyrics and sung on the record. Any rock fans who're open to some new sounds and a varied and diverse record will love this album. Some it recalls Nine Inch Nails, Alice In Chains, Led Zepplin, Korn, The Doors but it's always original and always features Caputo's stunning vocals to set it apart from the crowd.

Personally I prefer his mellower stuff and on this album, there's plenty to prefer... 'Human Comedy', 'Stolen Heartz' and 'Ice' are as good as anything he's done before.

Granted, on the face of it some of the tracks aren't exactly happy, happy, joy, joy but there's always something hugely positive behind even the bleakest Caputo song.

If you really want to try something a bit different and appreciate well written, performed and produced music, you couldn't do much better than to give this album a go. 15 tracks for $15 including P&P to the UK... you haven't got much to lose trying :)

Available only from
    www.keithcaputo.com

Let me know what you think of it :smashin:

2. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,783
    Going back to your roots? :)

thought you only really were into electronica these days?

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Payday is only a few days away.

I hope it's a bit weird. I'm getting into weirdly original music at the moment.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

True, I do listen to electronica pretty much most of the time but the roots are always there, a really quality CD of 'proper' music is still a treat. It's just a pity there aren't more of them.

Pointon - yeah, the 'freax' album is weirder than 'Died Laughing' for sure. I guess it's closer to 'Perfect Little Monsters' but is much heavier in places and more diverse. You'll probably be keen to hear 'Toy Soul' (Keith Caputo Vs. Prince Vs. Korn?!?) and the truly stunning 'Every Kind Of Thing For You' which has like a medieval feel to it...

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard of him, but listened to the very brief 'Charade' and 'Got Monsters' track samplers and they sounded pretty good :)

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SG, those clips probably do more harm than good... they're way, way too short and don't highlight his best stuff (IMO).

As Pointon has said before, Perfect Little Monsters is probably Caputo's least accessible work but if you want to buy a CD that I would pretty much guarantee you'd like, please do get hold of 'Died Laughing', it really is an incredibly good album.