For all those comlaining about speed cameras... Try this

Perhaps it would be a better idea just to drive more safely........... or have the device set to warn you about the local speed limits. Even better it could have in a built in taco so when the police pull you over you can prove you weren't over the limit.

However, having seen the way most people drive these days, that last bit might be self defeating..............

overkill said:
Perhaps it would be a better idea just to drive more safely........... or have the device set to warn you about the local speed limits. Even better it could have in a built in taco so when the police pull you over you can prove you weren't over the limit.

However, having seen the way most people drive these days, that last bit might be self defeating..............

I think that continually being reminded that you've hit a 30/40/50 zone or whatever it is will help people to monitor their speed more carefully.

You'll end up conditioned to driving at thiose speeds, and therefore it will feel more normal to drive at these lower speeds.

Plus you'll not continually be having to check your speedo all the time, instead of looking at the road.

I drove down to Norfolk via the A17 on Friday and the speed limit changes continually from 40 - 50 -60 (and back again). It's not ideal to be continually looking at your speedo, instead of the road ahead. Plus half the time the limits are not displayed all that clearly.

So you could be driving along thinking it's 60, when it's in fact 50. Or vice versa and end up going too slow, and then hacking off local drivers that know the road better and then try and overtake in potentially dangerous places.

Chris

overkill said:
Perhaps it would be a better idea just to drive more safely...........

Research indicates that devices like this reduce the number of accidents for their owners.

Seems like quite an interesting product, I wonder how successfully it works?

Research indicates that devices like this reduce the number of accidents for their owners.
Then I'm all for it.

overkill said:
Perhaps it would be a better idea just to drive more safely...........

tell that to the people doing under the speed limit that pull out without looking .... lets not get into this silly debate AGAIN

speeding does not necesseraly = unsafe

anyone that believes simply going over the speed limit is unsafe as compared to driving under it is to be quite honest a fool that doesn't understand arbritray values and logic.

tell that to the people doing under the speed limit that pull out without looking ....
Quite agree. Speeding isn't always the cause of accidents. However, driving dangerously and speeding are linked. Any way of reducing risk should be applauded.

anyone that believes simply going over the speed limit is unsafe as compared to driving under it is to be quite honest a fool that doesn't understand arbritray values and logic.
I see. So the people that set the speed limits are fools then? :rolleyes: The years of research they did as compared to your, well, "Ethics knows best" eh? :D

Just being slightly over the limit can reduce effective stopping time in any given distance and area. Just ask my uncle. He rolled his jag after being just four miles an hour over a 40 mile an hour limit. That corner was on a tight margin..............

overkill said:
I see. So the people that set the speed limits are fools then? :rolleyes: The years of research they did as compared to your, well, "Ethics knows best" eh? :D

Just being slightly over the limit can reduce effective stopping time in any given distance and area. Just ask my uncle. He rolled his jag after being just four miles an hour over a 40 mile an hour limit. That corner was on a tight margin..............

do we really need to go over the fact that speed limits were pretty arbritray and based on stopping distances of a car manufactured in the 1970's

...... and no further updates have been made.

"Ethics knows best" -- yep, I know even with reaction times that my car stops in less than half the stopping distance .... corners and holds the road better in wet and dry conditions ........... THAN A 1970's heap of junk .... but there you go ;)

tip: read some of the other threads and do some research so you don't ' put your foot in it ' again ;)

LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!!!!

(Nobber puts his fingers in his ears as ANOTHER bloody thread about speeding gathers momentum) :boring:

I don't know why they don't just put a speed control chip in every engine so that it receives a 30MPH signal from the road sign and stops you from going over 30. End of speeding problem and no more nasty speeding fines :)

JohnG said:
I don't know why they don't just put a speed control chip in every engine so that it receives a 30MPH signal from the road sign and stops you from going over 30. End of speeding problem and no more nasty speeding fines :)

I could just see that working well ...... omg that bus is pulling out and the gaps closing - quick excelerate into the clear becasue I can't break in time

camera goes to foot pumping a pedal and nothing happening

car "its 30mph you may not go faster"

driver "arrggh............"

I can just see the UK public trying to deal with over taking with automated limits ...... i'd give it a week till total melt down

A 30MPH limit means just that, so you shouldn't be putting your foot down to overtake anything if you are already doing a reasonable speed. If you have to exceed 30MPH to overtake, then you should stay at a reasonable distance behind so that you can stop in time.

JohnG said:
A 30MPH limit means just that, so you shouldn't be putting your foot down to overtake anything if you are already doing a reasonable speed. If you have to exceed 30MPH to overtake, then you should stay at a reasonable distance behind so that you can stop in time.

'stationary delivery lorry' + bus pulling out of stop the other side of road AFTER you have commited.
breaking = crash - slight increase in speed = near miss.
Chips don't take into account other drivers doing 'stupid' things while under the limit

I know someone will try and do the mathematics to try and prove its never better to go faster to avoid a crash ...... save time and effort ..... its a falisey
- objects may change speed UP or DOWN in an effort to avoid collisions on intersecting vectors .....

try driving round country lanes, busy towns and streets without ever having to pull around objects - the longer you spend on the wrong side of the road the more dangerous it can potentially be.

Mmmm and that happens all the time doesn't it :rolleyes:

I'm glad you are here to give us your experience of driving at speed on public roads Ethics , how would we get by without your invaluable experience ?

JohnG said:
Mmmm and that happens all the time doesn't it :rolleyes:

alot yes

just walk around a town and listen for screeching brakes ..... I see motorcyclists doing it alot to get out of trouble - but the same applies to cars.

There are a hell of alot of delivery lorries, buses and cars on the road - taxies stopping in the traffic flow.
Do you not drive a car or deal with heavy town traffic ?
do you not pay attention to those around you ?
I know that the examples I gave happen alot on the business park I work on - with the buses stopping every couple of hundred yards and the stops being staggard not that far apart.

vonhosen said:
I'm glad you are here to give us your experience of driving at speed on public roads Ethics , how would we get by without your invaluable experience ?

not sure, you'd probably be failing in physics ;) - and the effects of human interaction with machines and the world around them in a non text book sense.

Arbritray man made rules vs' all the possible real world permutations

Ethics Gradient said:
not sure, you'd probably be failing in physics ;) - and the effects of human interaction with machines and the world around them in a non text book sense.

You are if you think a car can gain speed quicker than it can lose it.

I have more experience in the human interaction of vehicles on the public road than you can possibly imagine. Practical experience as well as text book I may add.

Do you not drive a car or deal with heavy town traffic ?
do you not pay attention to those around you ?
Yes quite a lot thanks - that's how I know how to handle these situations properly without breaking the speed limit. In the 26 years I've been driving I have never had to break the speed limit due to someone else's actions, I suggest if that is happening regularly to anyone they should reassess their driving.

vonhosen said:
You are if you think a car can gain speed quicker than it can lose it.

Its not about the acceleration and deceleration potential - its about stationary and moving objects ...... so for being able to loose speed rather than gain it, its no good loosing speed to still be left in the collision zone - especially when you start factoring in angles, momentum, surface grip and other drivers not looking or reacting.

vonhosen said:
I have more experience in the human interaction of vehicles on the public road than you can possibly imagine. Practical experience as well as text book I may add.

but not in physics and mathematical dynamics it seems - if you can't accept that there ARE situations where gaining speed is the only option.

Either brake and slide into the bus thats just pulled out with the driver looking at the passenger buying a ticket ( like they do sometimes )

and the bus / lorry / line of cars etc along side you moving off at slow speed but just enough to close the gap @ 30mph but not at 40mph ... where as with momentum and breaking you will hit the the oncomming bus in a slide - albeit at a very low speed

JohnG said:
Yes quite a lot thanks - that's how I know how to handle these situations properly without breaking the speed limit. In the 26 years I've been driving I have never had to break the speed limit due to someone else's actions, I suggest if that is happening regularly to anyone they should reassess their driving.

I ran the model I sugguested in the above post using Hammer editor and set up the paths - the surface friction was tricky ( as I had to guestimate abit ) but the model works when the object traveling on the same vector perpendicalr sets acceletes from 0 to 5mph just as the front of the 'car' passes it @ approx 30mph and the bus pulls out from 0 - 5mph approaching in the reverse vector ( its all dependant on how big or small the distance between the objects was ) so it closes just inside the stopping distance of the car and bus ....... ( the difference in the speed due to accelerate over the distance of 1 car lenght + the distance the bus travelled @ 5mph while the car travels its own body length - and the car remaining @ 30 was about 1 meter - without that meter the front right side of the car hit the oncomming bus ( just )

( can't be more precise becasue I am counting a 16 pixel gride and it won't decrement any further so I have to guess roughly whether its 1 meter or 90 cms )

..... so just because you haven't been in that situation does not mean it doesn't exist nor that other people may experience it.

There is a road near me which is literally a 2 lane road it is on the brow of a hill also to the right is 2 adjoining streets.
Most days there is cars parked on the left which means cars have to crossover to the other side when the road looks clear to get round them. But if a car comes over the brow you have just time to nip in if you accelerate. Also many a time cars coming of one of the side streets only look down the hill and pull out, accelerating to get back on your own side is the safest option.
JohnG said:
I suggest if that is happening regularly to anyone they should reassess their driving.
It does happen John in some circumstances albeit not regularly. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom