1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For all those comlaining about speed cameras... Try this

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by SanPedro, Apr 5, 2005.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    http://www.inforadgps.com/about/

As advertised in the Sunday Times Driving Section.

At £80 it looks a bargain. And it's legal (and will continue to be)

Chris

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Perhaps it would be a better idea just to drive more safely........... or have the device set to warn you about the local speed limits. Even better it could have in a built in taco so when the police pull you over you can prove you weren't over the limit.

However, having seen the way most people drive these days, that last bit might be self defeating..............

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    I think that continually being reminded that you've hit a 30/40/50 zone or whatever it is will help people to monitor their speed more carefully.

You'll end up conditioned to driving at thiose speeds, and therefore it will feel more normal to drive at these lower speeds.

Plus you'll not continually be having to check your speedo all the time, instead of looking at the road.

I drove down to Norfolk via the A17 on Friday and the speed limit changes continually from 40 - 50 -60 (and back again). It's not ideal to be continually looking at your speedo, instead of the road ahead. Plus half the time the limits are not displayed all that clearly.

So you could be driving along thinking it's 60, when it's in fact 50. Or vice versa and end up going too slow, and then hacking off local drivers that know the road better and then try and overtake in potentially dangerous places.

Chris

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    Research indicates that devices like this reduce the number of accidents for their owners.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Seems like quite an interesting product, I wonder how successfully it works?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a lot cheaper than road angel... but i have found a snooper S3 neo (without radar module) for £95

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Then I'm all for it.

8. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    Where? :)

9. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    tell that to the people doing under the speed limit that pull out without looking .... lets not get into this silly debate AGAIN

speeding does not necesseraly = unsafe

anyone that believes simply going over the speed limit is unsafe as compared to driving under it is to be quite honest a fool that doesn't understand arbritray values and logic.

10. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Quite agree. Speeding isn't always the cause of accidents. However, driving dangerously and speeding are linked. Any way of reducing risk should be applauded.

I see. So the people that set the speed limits are fools then? :rolleyes: The years of research they did as compared to your, well, "Ethics knows best" eh? :D

Just being slightly over the limit can reduce effective stopping time in any given distance and area. Just ask my uncle. He rolled his jag after being just four miles an hour over a 40 mile an hour limit. That corner was on a tight margin..............

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    do we really need to go over the fact that speed limits were pretty arbritray and based on stopping distances of a car manufactured in the 1970's

...... and no further updates have been made.

"Ethics knows best" -- yep, I know even with reaction times that my car stops in less than half the stopping distance .... corners and holds the road better in wet and dry conditions ........... THAN A 1970's heap of junk .... but there you go ;)

tip: read some of the other threads and do some research so you don't ' put your foot in it ' again ;)

12. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!!!!

(Nobber puts his fingers in his ears as ANOTHER bloody thread about speeding gathers momentum) :boring:

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    I don't know why they don't just put a speed control chip in every engine so that it receives a 30MPH signal from the road sign and stops you from going over 30. End of speeding problem and no more nasty speeding fines :)

14. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I could just see that working well ...... omg that bus is pulling out and the gaps closing - quick excelerate into the clear becasue I can't break in time

camera goes to foot pumping a pedal and nothing happening

car "its 30mph you may not go faster"

driver "arrggh............"

I can just see the UK public trying to deal with over taking with automated limits ...... i'd give it a week till total melt down

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    A 30MPH limit means just that, so you shouldn't be putting your foot down to overtake anything if you are already doing a reasonable speed. If you have to exceed 30MPH to overtake, then you should stay at a reasonable distance behind so that you can stop in time.

16. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    'stationary delivery lorry' + bus pulling out of stop the other side of road AFTER you have commited.
    breaking = crash - slight increase in speed = near miss.
    Chips don't take into account other drivers doing 'stupid' things while under the limit

I know someone will try and do the mathematics to try and prove its never better to go faster to avoid a crash ...... save time and effort ..... its a falisey
    - objects may change speed UP or DOWN in an effort to avoid collisions on intersecting vectors .....

try driving round country lanes, busy towns and streets without ever having to pull around objects - the longer you spend on the wrong side of the road the more dangerous it can potentially be.

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Mmmm and that happens all the time doesn't it :rolleyes:

18. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm glad you are here to give us your experience of driving at speed on public roads Ethics , how would we get by without your invaluable experience ?

19. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    alot yes

just walk around a town and listen for screeching brakes ..... I see motorcyclists doing it alot to get out of trouble - but the same applies to cars.

There are a hell of alot of delivery lorries, buses and cars on the road - taxies stopping in the traffic flow.
    Do you not drive a car or deal with heavy town traffic ?
    do you not pay attention to those around you ?
    I know that the examples I gave happen alot on the business park I work on - with the buses stopping every couple of hundred yards and the stops being staggard not that far apart.

20. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    not sure, you'd probably be failing in physics ;) - and the effects of human interaction with machines and the world around them in a non text book sense.

Arbritray man made rules vs' all the possible real world permutations

21. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You are if you think a car can gain speed quicker than it can lose it.

I have more experience in the human interaction of vehicles on the public road than you can possibly imagine. Practical experience as well as text book I may add.

22. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Yes quite a lot thanks - that's how I know how to handle these situations properly without breaking the speed limit. In the 26 years I've been driving I have never had to break the speed limit due to someone else's actions, I suggest if that is happening regularly to anyone they should reassess their driving.

23. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Its not about the acceleration and deceleration potential - its about stationary and moving objects ...... so for being able to loose speed rather than gain it, its no good loosing speed to still be left in the collision zone - especially when you start factoring in angles, momentum, surface grip and other drivers not looking or reacting.

but not in physics and mathematical dynamics it seems - if you can't accept that there ARE situations where gaining speed is the only option.

Either brake and slide into the bus thats just pulled out with the driver looking at the passenger buying a ticket ( like they do sometimes )

and the bus / lorry / line of cars etc along side you moving off at slow speed but just enough to close the gap @ 30mph but not at 40mph ... where as with momentum and breaking you will hit the the oncomming bus in a slide - albeit at a very low speed

24. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I ran the model I sugguested in the above post using Hammer editor and set up the paths - the surface friction was tricky ( as I had to guestimate abit ) but the model works when the object traveling on the same vector perpendicalr sets acceletes from 0 to 5mph just as the front of the 'car' passes it @ approx 30mph and the bus pulls out from 0 - 5mph approaching in the reverse vector ( its all dependant on how big or small the distance between the objects was ) so it closes just inside the stopping distance of the car and bus ....... ( the difference in the speed due to accelerate over the distance of 1 car lenght + the distance the bus travelled @ 5mph while the car travels its own body length - and the car remaining @ 30 was about 1 meter - without that meter the front right side of the car hit the oncomming bus ( just )

( can't be more precise becasue I am counting a 16 pixel gride and it won't decrement any further so I have to guess roughly whether its 1 meter or 90 cms )

..... so just because you haven't been in that situation does not mean it doesn't exist nor that other people may experience it.

25. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    There is a road near me which is literally a 2 lane road it is on the brow of a hill also to the right is 2 adjoining streets.
    Most days there is cars parked on the left which means cars have to crossover to the other side when the road looks clear to get round them. But if a car comes over the brow you have just time to nip in if you accelerate. Also many a time cars coming of one of the side streets only look down the hill and pull out, accelerating to get back on your own side is the safest option.
    It does happen John in some circumstances albeit not regularly. ;)

26. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

The poor driver will get into the fantastic hypothetical situations you describe not a good one. A good driver will use sound observation, anticipation & planning to avoid getting into them by using defensive driving plans.

That is the practical experience speaking.
    Use these skills to not get into trouble rather than reacting with the hurried application of accelerator or brake to get you out of it.

27. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    thats nice - shame you can't control every variable out there.
    If you had to anticipate and react to every possible situation - you'd never pull out of the drive.

Theres no such thing as anticipating every situation and driving to avoid them. All you are doing is 'lowering the risk', but you still take a risk every inch you travel.
    Hypothetical or not - with the amount of drivers in the world + the amount of miles driven, the potential number of differing situations are astronomical.

No one has as yet fallen asleep and drifted towards me while I over take them on a motorway where if I maintain speed or break they will hit me ( clip the rear end )... but if I accelerate and pull right I can just avoid them before rubbing the barriers and or loosing control....

...... but you never know.

28. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

No you can't control every variable , but the more you can recognise & plan worst case scenarios for the safer you will be.

It is a combination of experience & training that will help in this, so perhaps if you gain more experience (or do a little training in defensive driving techniques) you may find that you are able to avoid these situations.

Mind you if you do decide to do further training they will expect you not to break speed limits , which could be a sticky problem for you.

29. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Before I went into the computer industry I spent roughly 4 years lorry driving and that really does teach you about looking ahead down the road and checking your mirrors all the time. You get to know who's behind you and what is going on yards and yards ahead of you and this does make driving easier. In a lorry (when fully loaded) you don't have the ability to stop quick or to accelerate quick and you can't make sudden weaving movements without tipping over !
    I wish they would teach more of this in normal driving lessons as I believe it would drastically reduce road problems.

30. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Put my foot in what? :confused: As van hosen and JohnG have argued, both of whom have just a teeny bit more experience than you, you're talking from your 'pc rally games' not from fact. ;)

I'll leave you to place your size twelves in it, as I'm willing to acknowledge VH and JohnG know just a tad more than me about driving speeds and safety, thus its pointless arguing the toss with them with (yet more) arguments based on supposition. Have fun though!

Bye :hiya: