For All Mankind Season 2 (Apple TV+) TV Show Review & Comments

Ok, thanks, all good points, but you are incorrect regarding Alcohol smuggled into space.
  • There was Brandy smuggled aboard Apollo 8 (Frank Boormann was not amused!)
  • This from Astronaut Clayton Anderson 'NASA will tell you there is no alcohol aboard the ISS. As a person who lived there for five months, I'll tell you that's bogus.'
  • The Russians had Cognac onboard Mir in 1997 (see photo) They did this many other times but this was the first time there was a confirmed photo:-
View attachment 1464434
Finally, there's a lovely book about all of this:-
View attachment 1464430

That's brilliant, thanks for sharing the picture and book. From the blurb and review comments, it actually sounds like a fascinating read. Will try to find a copy.

That picture is cracking me up! It looks like a chapter of an outer space MC! It took me a minute to realise the guy second from left isn't wearing a denim waistcoat and that the chap next to him isn't smoking a gigantic spliff! Sons of Galaxy MC right there.

Loved the first season and been eagerly awaiting the start of the second and it did not disappoint :)

Did not see any Apple products in series
Well it's a bit of a stretch to put iPhones in period dramas.

Look at (not-so-)Amazing Stories, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told (horrible tripe), even Ted Lasso, which apart from Greyhound is the only good thing I found on AppleTV+ (and in fairness they're both excellent), every phone is an iPhone, every computer a MacBook, it's tiresome and in-your-face.

"Apple products are visible in an average of 32 camera shots in each episode of "The Morning Show," and an Apple logo is visible in roughly one-third of those shots"

Whoever thought this is not off-putting needs a different job.

Well it's a bit of a stretch to put iPhones in period dramas.

Look at (not-so-)Amazing Stories, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told (horrible tripe), even Ted Lasso, which apart from Greyhound is the only good thing I found on AppleTV+ (and in fairness they're both excellent), every phone is an iPhone, every computer a MacBook, it's tiresome and in-your-face.

"Apple products are visible in an average of 32 camera shots in each episode of "The Morning Show," and an Apple logo is visible in roughly one-third of those shots"

Whoever thought this is not off-putting needs a different job.
Surprised Samsung hasn't started a Channel - they usually like to go nose-to nose with Apple

This completely passed me by somehow, so on the strength of this review I've just started watching it and did the first 4 episodes in one sitting! I'm a sucker for alternate history works (still hoping that someone will pick up the rights to Resurection Day by Brenadan DuBois) and this one has got me totally hooked.

Come on working day, end so I can go back in!

Last edited:
It's a fabulous show, cleverly written, good characters. I love the "alternative history" perspective, makes for compelling viewing. I just wish they'd put the entire series up so we could binge watch it. This episode every week thing is so last century :)

It's a fabulous show, cleverly written, good characters. I love the "alternative history" perspective, makes for compelling viewing. I just wish they'd put the entire series up so we could binge watch it. This episode every week thing is so last century :)
My Wife said "Once a week is enough"
Or did she actually say "Once a Year"?
I'm beginning to think she might have been on about something else....🤔🤔

Wait 10 weeks and the whole lot will be on their to binge ;)

I personally prefer the one a week method, actually gives me something to look forward too on a Friday evening.

I will add this to my list and watch it, probably sooner rather than later to be honest.
But why are so many reviews a 9 these days? It almost seems deliberate to stir up debate.
I get the irony of my comment by the way :D

Going to wait for this to full air and then binge it.
Really enjoyed the emotional rollercoaster that was Season 1.

apple has extended my subscription twice now on a device I bought year and half ago. without me even asking.Anyway if your not watching this shame on you. great and worthy 9/10 review.
That's what happened to me as well, activated my free year in January 2020, in October they extend it until the end of February and then on the 4th of Feb they extend it again until July! All without asking as well, I hadn't seen this, it was on the list to watch so started it last week, binged the 1st series over the week and the 1st episode of the 2nd series on release. Very good in both content and quality.

That's what happened to me as well, activated my free year in January 2020, in October they extend it until the end of February and then on the 4th of Feb they extend it again until July! All without asking as well, I hadn't seen this, it was on the list to watch so started it last week, binged the 1st series over the week and the 1st episode of the 2nd series on release. Very good in both content and quality.
that was cool of them. as w most appletv plus the AV is excellent and I think the show will actually get better. those who have had early access say so and am inclined to believe them

I've got only 2 episodes of Season 2 so far, with a new episode released every friday,

I'm just wondering Cas, have you seen the whole season 2? Or is this review based only on the episodes released so far?

I've got only 2 episodes of Season 2 so far, with a new episode released every friday,

I'm just wondering Cas, have you seen the whole season 2? Or is this review based only on the episodes released so far?

In the title mate, it's just a premiere review, and merely discusses the opening episode. Will hopefully get the chance to update once the whole thing drops (per Mando).

Very powerful 3rd episode, the scene with
Ed, his wife and daughter was heart wrenching.

This started very strong but its's descended into soap-dom too much at times. There are still some good drama/action pieces, however, boy is it getting watered down at times. I'm not sure DV is helping out either; as it can look very daytime TV and not filmic at all which, in conjunction with the soap stories, kills it some for me.

This started very strong but its's descended into soap-dom too much at times.

^^^ This.

The first season was pretty good, this season has so far been little more that a soap opera about the astronauts' lives on Earth. Personally I don't give two hoots about what they get up to on Earth, I want to see them in space...doing "space things".

And they seem to have been taking pointers from the writers of "Picard", the story is moving at a glacially slow pace.

I'll stick it out for the final two episodes, then I think I'm done with this show.

Last two episodes have been a return to form IMO especially yesterday’s which was :eek:

Agreed, the last couple of episodes were a definite improvement...but during the climax of episode 9 they jumped the shark IMO.

The Russians staging a surprise attack against Jamestown and shooting out the window of the command centre, killing a US astronaut in the process, just seems far too improbable and likely to lead to all out war under the circumstances. Also, how did the US astronaut manage to close and seal the door to the command centre on his own, despite the pressure of the entire atmosphere of Jamestown working against him? And how on earth did the Russian cosmanauts manage to climb through that relatively small window in their bulky space suits? Then again we're not supposed to question that the Space Shuttle in this alternate history can somehow travel to the Moon and back! :rolleyes:

Still, it was great to finally see Pathfinder fly which they've been teasing since episode 1.

It's gone from padded soap episodes and bras back, finally, to decent story events but some of the choices along the way have been dire trope stuff. I still can't believe blinding out one the most powerful was anywhere near a good storyline.
The series started high and pretty much descended for weeks with the odd blip of cool and finally finding it's feet. If this was aired on anything but Apple/one of the streamers, I'd be seriously concerned it didn't lose a serious portion of its audience.

Agreed, the last couple of episodes were a definite improvement...but during the climax of episode 9 they jumped the shark IMO.

The Russians staging a surprise attack against Jamestown and shooting out the window of the command centre, killing a US astronaut in the process, just seems far too improbable and likely to lead to all out war under the circumstances. Also, how did the US astronaut manage to close and seal the door to the command centre on his own, despite the pressure of the entire atmosphere of Jamestown working against him? And how on earth did the Russian cosmanauts manage to climb through that relatively small window in their bulky space suits? Then again we're not supposed to question that the Space Shuttle in this alternate history can somehow travel to the Moon and back! :rolleyes:

Still, it was great to finally see Pathfinder fly which they've been teasing since episode 1.
Yeah, it does seem crazy that
this wouldn't result in war or, that suddenly the Russians have M16's and not even AK's. for that matter.
I think there were two or three clinging onto mate who closed the door but again, yup, that's one strong guy. I would've expected some emergency automatic door closure/blast shield in place but no. That seems mad in itself in the circumstances.
Their Pathfinder has nuclear powered engines so I assume it can fly back and forth no probs.
It now begs the question of whether the Pathfinder crew are going to go dark here and blow the Russian base or threaten to if they don't get out...

Yeah, it does seem crazy that
this wouldn't result in war or, that suddenly the Russians have M16's and not even AK's. for that matter.
I think there were two or three clinging onto mate who closed the door but again, yup, that's one strong guy. I would've expected some emergency automatic door closure/blast shield in place but no. That seems mad in itself in the circumstances.
Their Pathfinder has nuclear powered engines so I assume it can fly back and forth no probs.
It now begs the question of whether the Pathfinder crew are going to go dark here and blow the Russian base or threaten to if they don't get out...
Pretty sure
the Russians had space version of AK47's, the curved clip immediately drew my attention.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom