• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

For all Criterion DVD/Blu-Ray Collectors!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

This link was e-mailed to me from Criterion today. It's their complete list of every release they've ever made, that can be sorted and organised into whatever specific order you like (e.g. by Director's Surname, by title, by Spine Number, etc, etc).

Enjoy. Click here for the fun! :)

Pooch

In related news: Rosemary's Baby is getting a long overdue Blu-ray release. I'm holding out a little in getting the pricey Criterion disc, hoping that the same transfer will get a release on these shores.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
In related news: Rosemary's Baby is getting a long overdue Blu-ray release. I'm holding out a little in getting the pricey Criterion disc, hoping that the same transfer will get a release on these shores.

Yeah Im annoyed at this being a Criterion in fact because it will be region-locked and I have no intention of getting a blu multi-region player..I simply dont need it.

Hopefully it will get a good European release because this is my 2nd favourite Polanski film.

HummerUK

Prominent Member
After my copy of Harold & Maude which IMHO was very poor I shall not worry about anymore of their overpriced titles.

HummerUK

After my copy of Harold & Maude which IMHO was very poor I shall not worry about anymore of their overpriced titles.

HummerUK

Toys, pram. ;)

I saw Harold and Maude at the cinema around ten times in my teens and it's a grainy looking film, like many films of that period. I suppose you would have been happier had it been a DNR job ?

Rosemary's Baby isn't a grainy looking film and I'm sure they are going to do a stellar job, as they did with the other 15 Criterion Blu-ray's I've got. This being a genuine classic, I'm sure this transfer will be used for a European release. If not in the UK then in Germany where there is a huge market for horror films.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member

It's out not long before the next B&N 50% sale so at least it'll be a bit cheaper in November, I think this plus possibly the Game would be amongst some of the titles I'd plump for in that sale.

HummerUK

Prominent Member
Toys, pram. ;)

I saw Harold and Maude at the cinema around ten times in my teens and it's a grainy looking film, like many films of that period. I suppose you would have been happier had it been a DNR job ?

Rosemary's Baby isn't a grainy looking film and I'm sure they are going to do a stellar job, as they did with the other 15 Criterion Blu-ray's I've got. This being a genuine classic, I'm sure this transfer will be used for a European release. If not in the UK then in Germany where there is a huge market for horror films.

Surely if it looks very grainy, even blue skies on my 46" TV, on the big screen in a cinema it must have looked terrible?

Granted, everyone else thinks it great, other than me and my brother who was visiting from the USA who also thought it was disappointing.

Maybe it would not put me off their titles completely but I would have to be very careful.

I have my non Criterion copy of Walkabout on order (under £10.00).

HummerUK

I never quite understand when people demand for a film to look better than its source allows. It's just plain unreasonable. Do you have any other Criterion discs ? They have done wonders with films that previously have looked shoddy on DVD, like Blow Out for instance.

Criterion have a reputation for fantastic restorations of classic films, but in your topsy turvy world they are a dodgy company now because they represented a slightly grainy looking film the way it was shot. I have seen films that are far more grainy than Harold and Maude. A lot of films form the 70s just looked like that.

I have the Criterion of Walkabout, which looks fantastic. I'm pretty sure the UK version will use the same transfer, as they often do when they've been out on Criterion first

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
If only studio canal had used the criterion third man transfer.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
If only studio canal had used the criterion third man transfer.

Legal and copyright issues may have not allowed them to do so. :( Some of Criterion's releases are done on the basis that only Criterion then release them, and that the resulting DVD/Blu-Ray is Region-Locked.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
PoochJD said:
Legal and copyright issues may have not allowed them to do so. :( Some of Criterion's releases are done on the basis that only Criterion then release them, and that the resulting DVD/Blu-Ray is Region-Locked.

Which saddens me even more as criterion don't have the distribution or publishing rights any more.

KRW

Prominent Member
I don't really mind the Region locking thing in general, but it riles me slightly when its British films that are A locked. I get why it happens, but it feels...rude.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom