For a Few Dollars More 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

My biggest worry was giving such a classic the 4K treatment, since it's filmic look was an intrinsic part of the experience.
Why would that be a worry? A 4K scan is going to get it closer to 35mm than a 2K scanned blu ray release, unless you were hoping it would be scanned @ 8K?

Why would that be a worry? A 4K scan is going to get it closer to 35mm than a 2K scanned blu ray release, unless you were hoping it would be scanned @ 8K?
The film's "look" was itself a part of what gave it the feel it had. Watching it on VHS/CRT TV was far from the digital CGI fests of modern blockbusters. I'm not talking about the quality of the remaster as it were. I remember Tarantino writing about Film Vs Digital and also about Leone's films specifically. He discussed how he watches the print when he wants to watch the film. Being clean and crisp and shiny was my fear.

My fear was that whatever that feel is would've been lost in the move to ultra high-def. I can't pinpoint or put into words what it is about those films that have them ooze atmosphere, grit and the rest. There's a look and feel to them that I know when I see it, but can't describe exactly. But the 4K still has "it". And I'm glad for it; it is the best way to enjoy the film at home.

The film's "look" was itself a part of what gave it the feel it had. Watching it on VHS/CRT TV was far from the digital CGI fests of modern blockbusters. I'm not talking about the quality of the remaster as it were. I remember Tarantino writing about Film Vs Digital and also about Leone's films specifically. He discussed how he watches the print when he wants to watch the film. Being clean and crisp and shiny was my fear.

My fear was that whatever that feel is would've been lost in the move to ultra high-def. I can't pinpoint or put into words what it is about those films that have them ooze atmosphere, grit and the rest. There's a look and feel to them that I know when I see it, but can't describe exactly. But the 4K still has "it". And I'm glad for it; it is the best way to enjoy the film at home.
Totally agree. Cgi fest is ok but you cant beat the classics for film

My point really was that with newer formats and UHD blu ray in particular, we are getting the closest yet to how film should look, with a wider, more accurate colour gamut, increased resolution closer to the true resolvable detail levels of 35mm film and much better fine grain resolution.

Films on VHS looked terrible and nothing like film at all, even if we were happy to have them at the time. Have you seen a 35mm print of this film? If not I'm curious as to what you are using as a benchmark as to how this film should look. One thing I do know is that this release is the best and most faithful to the look of 35mm film so far, showing up just how poor and inaccurate the previous VHS/DVD/blu ray releases were.

My point really was that with newer formats and UHD blu ray in particular, we are getting the closest yet to how film should look, with a wider, more accurate colour gamut, increased resolution closer to the true resolvable detail levels of 35mm film and much better fine grain resolution.

Films on VHS looked terrible and nothing like film at all, even if we were happy to have them at the time. Have you seen a 35mm print of this film? If not I'm curious as to what you are using as a benchmark as to how this film should look. One thing I do know is that this release is the best and most faithful to the look of 35mm film so far, showing up just how poor and inaccurate the previous VHS/DVD/blu ray releases were.
Stumbled on the Tarantino article I remember: Quentin Tarantino Says Restored 4K Print Of ‘Fistful Of Dollars’ Shown At Cannes Made Him “Depressed”.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom